The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A/C condenser required (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297230)

JanCo 5th July 2019 21:42

A/C condenser required

Hi gents
Next up on the list of things to go wrong is the condenser. Went to get the system recharged today, no good. The channels are all loose and the fins are missing.
Can fit the unit myself ok, but will need to take it to a shop to charge it.o a new condenser is about £120 from Rimmers, can be had for £80ish on the bay. As the fate of this car depends on me not spending more money on it than I can afford to throw away, have you got any recommendations? If I buy from Rimmers will it include the desiccant pack and o rings?

trikey 5th July 2019 21:43

PM Jules, im sure he does them

SD1too 5th July 2019 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanCo (Post 2745837)
As the fate of this car depends on me not spending more money on it than I can afford to throw away, have you got any recommendations?

Yes, buy the cheaper one from e-bay.
Quote:

If I buy from Rimmers will it include the desiccant pack and o rings?
Yes to the drier (dessicant pack) but unlikely to include 'O' rings. Why don't you contact Rimmer Bros. and ask?

Simon

marinabrian 5th July 2019 22:01

Buy a genuine condenser rad from Jules, and don't worry about the O rings, a light smear of red rubber grease will allow the originals to be fitted without issue ;)

Brian :D

JanCo 5th July 2019 22:08

I checked Jules' club shop, didn't look like he has any left 😕

If the o rings are your standard o ring and not a special weird MG Rover thing, can probably get a couple easily enough.

Really wanted it sorted before next week, but don't see that happening now

marinabrian 5th July 2019 22:21

I would PM Jules, last time I saw him, he had an awful lot, as in a complete storage container load, and as to the O rings, he'll have those too if you're unfortunate enough to damage the originals upon removal.

Brian :D

JanCo 6th July 2019 07:17

Thanks, I'll get in touch today then. Here's hoping... 😁

SD1too 6th July 2019 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanCo (Post 2745837)
As the fate of this car depends on me not spending more money on it than I can afford to throw away ...

Jan,

In view of recent replies, whether it's worth spending extra money on a "genuine" part depends upon the part and the price difference. There's nothing special about an air conditioning condenser. It's basically a radiator with a bag of silica gel strapped to the side. ;) I have an unbranded condenser bought from the internet fitted to my Citroën. It's fine. Hundreds of local garages fit aftermarket parts obtained from motor factors every day. It's only the main dealers, tied to a manufacturer's franchise, who will insist upon "genuine" parts for that reason. If you need the car repaired by next week then do the sensible thing and buy what's available at the price you want to pay. :}
Quote:

Originally Posted by JanCo (Post 2745848)
If the o rings are your standard o ring and not a special weird MG Rover thing, can probably get a couple easily enough.

If your present condenser is the original factory fitment, the 'O' rings will be in perfect condition and can be re-used. I've renewed condensers on all my cars ove the years and i used to fit new 'O' rings as a matter of course. As there appeared to be no defect with those I'd removed, the last time I refitted the originals. They sealed perfectly. So don't stress yourself about 'O' rings.

Simon

rab60bit 6th July 2019 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2745843)
Yes, buy the cheaper one from e-bay.

Yes to the drier (dessicant pack) but unlikely to include 'O' rings. Why don't you contact Rimmer Bros. and ask?

Simon

I'm pretty sure Rimmers now only supply the condensor complete with dessicant pack