The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Spider Bite (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305316)

planenut 1st June 2020 07:22

Spider Bite

I'm not too bothered by spiders, I am aware that there is very little chance of anything venomous doing any damage here in England. I knew that I had company in the lounge and had seen the bigger hairy ruddy coloured beastie lurking behind one of the curtains the other day. It does trouble me when I get a face full of web so this morning thought that "she" had to go. My method is to wrap a piece of loo roll round it as I catch, though this one was worth taking a picture of, so I had a jar ready for the transfer. In an awkward position up in the cornice area, I set up my climbing chair onto the arm of the sofa.

Got into position, wrapped the tissue round it and applied light pressure to then receive more than a light bite (I suspect) in my finger, and shocked I dropped the beast and since then have had a strong tingling in my finger. Oh shock horror. Half an hour and still have the sensation of pin NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- (oh, that word used in this context is not rude) irritation and so far, nothing more. I will be searching more for the spider later, but this time with the vacuum cleaner, it's days are numbered.

Rev Jules 1st June 2020 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2815933)
I'm not too bothered by spiders, I am aware that there is very little chance of anything venomous doing any damage here in England. I knew that I had company in the lounge and had seen the bigger hairy ruddy coloured beastie lurking behind one of the curtains the other day. It does trouble me when I get a face full of web so this morning thought that "she" had to go. My method is to wrap a piece of loo roll round it as I catch, though this one was worth taking a picture of, so I had a jar ready for the transfer. In an awkward position up in the cornice area, I set up my climbing chair onto the arm of the sofa.

Got into position, wrapped the tissue round it and applied light pressure to then receive more than a light bite (I suspect) in my finger, and shocked I dropped the beast and since then have had a strong tingling in my finger. Oh shock horror. Half an hour and still have the sensation of pin NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- (oh, that word used in this context is not rude) irritation and so far, nothing more. I will be searching more for the spider later, but this time with the vacuum cleaner, it's days are numbered.

Should have used a wet dish cloth.

Gate Keeper 1st June 2020 08:18

Quote:

Good morning Fred, bad luck with the spider bite. Are you allergic to bee stings?

BoroRover 1st June 2020 08:37

My method is to trap the little beggars in a large Coca-Cola glass, then slide a piece of card over the mouth of the glass, then eject the critters into the garden...where they should be. I don't kill them.

COLVERT 1st June 2020 08:37

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Vacuum cleaner every time. No mess, no fuss. Even good for flies if you put a funnel on the end of the pipe. ( The suction holds it in place. ) Much better than breathing in any of that flyspray stuff. I bet that kills off some of your own molecules when you breath it in.

planenut 1st June 2020 09:34

Phil, no, I am not allergic to stings.

I've just washed the car and luckily, the sensations have subsided and there is now no reddening, so I am happy that it will not react.

I do realize that spiders are territorial, so when I do launch them outside, they always land more than forty feet from my home.

This beastie is a reddy brown colour and I suspect, only about a one and a half inch span, not enormous.

I really don't have a problem with spiders, and my daughter noticed a change in expression when I was on the Whatsapp with her the other evening. She is terrified of them, so I did not say what it was, but it was bigger than this mornings, and I did manage to get that one quickly with the card and jar manoeuvre. I don't like to damage them, they don't know what we are, and they were here before we were.

clf 1st June 2020 11:21

1 Attachment(s)
No pesky sprays, no vacuum cleaners, do it right, do it once!

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1591009874

Just dont do what THIS guy did though.

------------------------------------

RobSun 1st June 2020 12:12

I was bitten by a false widow whilst sat on my garden seat. Felt a slight NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- and thought nothing of ot. A few hours later I was feeling ill, shivering and body aches and my hand had swollen up and was very painful.

I'm not allergic to bites etc. usually but that one! A search on the web (no pun intended) found a number of stories and warnings and horrific pictures of false widow bites. Be careful.

This filters a bit strong isn't it? I never knew the description of the sensation of an injection was a naughty word.

kaiser 1st June 2020 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoroRover (Post 2815946)
My method is to trap the little beggars in a large Coca-Cola glass, then slide a piece of card over the mouth of the glass, then eject the critters into the garden...where they should be. I don't kill them.

Which is the way any reasonably sane person would do it!;)

Mr bountyfull 1st June 2020 14:39

Make sure it wasn't a false widow, these have made their way into England. There is a least one case of someone loosing his foot. Have a look at an image and make sure it was of another type.

planenut 1st June 2020 15:56

Luckily I know the Widow species, and it was not one of those.

RPWC 1st June 2020 16:39

To hell with all this humanity methods. There is only one solution and that is to welly the get with a large boot. Thats what happens to any eight legged freak that gets spotted near me. No messing about

COLVERT 1st June 2020 21:41

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2816030)
To hell with all this humanity methods. There is only one solution and that is to welly the get with a large boot. Thats what happens to any eight legged freak that gets spotted near me. No messing about

Absolutely. If a great big hairy beast is heading towards me at a great rate of knots then it's him or me .

If he's running away then that's OK.

RPWC 1st June 2020 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2816091)
Absolutely. If a great big hairy beast is heading towards me at a great rate of knots then it's him or me .

If he's running away then that's OK.

Either way its Dr Boot

The Rovering Member 2nd June 2020 02:56

Yes, my wife was bitten by a false widow earlier in the year. It eventually swelled quite badly & was quite painful. A trip to the hospital got some appropriate pills but it took a while to fade completely. Not a pleasant experience for her.

reworht 2nd June 2020 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2816030)

I'm with you on this one Rich - a 5lb lump hammer, wielded by the wife in case it goes on the offensive :getmecoat:

planenut 2nd June 2020 10:34

I found it hiding in the folds of a cover on my sofa, it has just learnt to fly!

Gate Keeper 2nd June 2020 10:35

Good morning Fred,

We always lift up the lid and toilet seat to check for spiders and snakes before sitting down. On my first trip to Namibia, I had to stay in a B&B out in the bush. The owner of the B&B said always check your shoes for spiders or scorpions before putting them on and check the bed sheets before getting into bed.

This morning I had a scarab beetle land at my feet whilst I was on the loo. I picked it up very carefully so as not to hurt it and released it out of the window.

Gate Keeper 2nd June 2020 11:24

Driving down a mountain road in South Africa, I felt something crawling in my crutch. I went to scratch it and the beast stabbed my balls. The pain was excruciating, we pulled over onto the hard shoulder and when I dropped my trousers, there it was, a black button spider with a patch of red on its back. In anger, I squashed it and threw it into the bushes.

I couldn’t drive the car as I was in that much pain, so my wife took over for the rest of the drive. When we got back to the farm, it was dark and late, I took a handful of Piriton tablets which knocked me out.

The following morning I went to the Doctors and he suggested I come and see him every 2-3 days for a review in case one of the balls dropped out (the poison was necrotic), then it is plastic surgery. From his computer screen and from my description, we were able to identify the spider and the recommended treatment.

I was put on 2 different types of antibiotics and strong pain killers, there was no antivenin. When the balls turned blue/black and swelled up to the size of a football, the GP said he would have to lance them and drain off the fluid.

It was nearly 3 months before the pain disappeared. All that from a spider bite.

When I wrote it up on another forum, I had cheap smart Alec comments: did I apply a tourniquet, did my wife not suck out the poison?.....having a sense of humour is must ;)

COLVERT 2nd June 2020 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2816165)
Driving down a mountain road in South Africa, I felt something crawling in my crutch. I went to scratch it and the beast stabbed my balls. The pain was excruciating, we pulled over onto the hard shoulder and when I dropped my trousers, there it was, a black button spider with a patch of red on its back. In anger, I squashed it and threw it into the bushes.

I couldn’t drive the car as I was in that much pain, so my wife took over for the rest of the drive. When we got back to the farm, it was dark and late, I took a handful of Piriton tablets which knocked me out.

The following morning I went to the Doctors and he suggested I come and see him every 2-3 days for a review in case one of the balls dropped out (the poison was necrotic), then it is plastic surgery. From his computer screen and from my description, we were able to identify the spider and the recommended treatment.

I was put on 2 different types of antibiotics and strong pain killers, there was no antivenin. When the balls turned blue/black and swelled up to the size of a football, the GP said he would have to lance them and drain off the fluid.

It was nearly 3 months before the pain disappeared. All that from a spider bite.

When I wrote it up on another forum, I had cheap smart Alec comments: did I apply a tourniquet, did my wife not suck out the poison?.....having a sense of humour is must ;)

After all of that you are still incredibly kind to the critters ???????

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

planenut 2nd June 2020 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2816165)

Oh, I'll not say anything then.

RPWC 5th June 2020 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2816193)
After all of that you are still incredibly kind to the critters ???????

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

My thoughts exactly, I would have obliterated the b' stard. These things do not deserve to exist.

clf 5th June 2020 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 2816920)
My thoughts exactly, I would have obliterated the b' stard. These things do not deserve to exist.

Spiders keep the flies at bay (in our climate anyway).

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Gazmo65 6th June 2020 07:43

My oldest lad was bit on the leg by a false widow at work a couple of years ago, it took about 10 days to settle and was quite uncomfortable. I m of the Hoover or hammer brigade when it comes to spiders, about 15 years ago we lived in a thatched cottage and would always have problems with mice and occasionally rats, one evening in the middle of winter we had the open fire burning away whilst watching TV and out of the corner of my eye something moved on the rug, I kept watching and seen it again. At first I thought it was a mouse but on closer inspection it was a huge spider, straight away i picked up a video cassette in its case ( yes I know but it was 15 years ago and we still used them ) and dropped it on to the spider, NAUGHTY WORD me the case pinned it down but was at a 45°(exaggeration) angle so i picked up the companion set shovel from the fireplace and as soon as I lifted the video case the NAUGHTY WORD shot off with me after it , 2 swipes later and it was no more, never seen a spider as big before or since then and I've been around a lot of barns on a farm my lad worked on.

clf 6th June 2020 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazmo65 (Post 2816942)
My oldest lad was bit on the leg by a false widow at work a couple of years ago, it took about 10 days to settle and was quite uncomfortable. I m of the Hoover or hammer brigade when it comes to spiders, about 15 years ago we lived in a thatched cottage and would always have problems with mice and occasionally rats, one evening in the middle of winter we had the open fire burning away whilst watching TV and out of the corner of my eye something moved on the rug, I kept watching and seen it again. At first I thought it was a mouse but on closer inspection it was a huge spider, straight away i picked up a video cassette in its case ( yes I know but it was 15 years ago and we still used them ) and dropped it on to the spider, NAUGHTY WORD me the case pinned it down but was at a 45°(exaggeration) angle so i picked up the companion set shovel from the fireplace and as soon as I lifted the video case the NAUGHTY WORD shot off with me after it , 2 swipes later and it was no more, never seen a spider as big before or since then and I've been around a lot of barns on a farm my lad worked on.

for future reference, 'tread' carefully on how you deal with spiders mwah ha ha ha. :p:

mbev51 7th June 2020 06:13

I remember eating lunch whilst cycle touring in south OZ, in a small old wooden bus shelter, when on looking behind my wife, I saw loads of webs. I then turned around and looked just behind my head and saw my first redback. It never moved so was no threat. On cycling out of the small town we noticed a banner over the entrance to a sports complex that named the local team ‘redbacks’.

BoroRover 7th June 2020 10:22

I often take a cup of milk up to bed with me and place it on my bedside table, so if I wake, and have a dry mouth, I can have a sip.
One morning, I reached for the cup, and put it to my lips to have a drink.
Instead of the liquid I was expecting, I got a mouthful of a bulbous body and a lot of legs. It had climbed into the cup while I slept. I spat it out in an absolute panic, I suppose the spider got a fright too, it was off at top speed over the duvet.
I can safely say, I got the fright of my life. I always, always cover the top of the cup now. :eek::eek::eek:

RPWC 7th June 2020 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoroRover (Post 2817149)
I often take a cup of milk up to bed with me and place it on my bedside table, so if I wake, and have a dry mouth, I can have a sip.
One morning, I reached for the cup, and put it to my lips to have a drink.
Instead of the liquid I was expecting, I got a mouthful of a bulbous body and a lot of legs. It had climbed into the cup while I slept. I spat it out in an absolute panic, I suppose the spider got a fright too, it was off at top speed over the duvet.
I can safely say, I got the fright of my life. I always, always cover the top of the cup now. :eek::eek::eek:

I woke up one night with something in my mouth, spat it out and it was a small one, jumpex out of bed, grabbed a shoe, WALLOP!! End of

planenut 8th June 2020 06:26

Well thanks for the stories: I had heard of people getting spiders in their mouthes but never heard first hand, yuk!

Gate Keeper 8th June 2020 06:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2817377)
Well thanks for the stories: I had heard of people getting spiders in their mouthes but never heard first hand, yuk!

Morning Fred, I have never heard of a spider in someone’s mouth, that’s a new one. The worst thing I have had in my gob, are maggots.

I was eating a mango for breakfast and the maggots were the same colour as the inside of the mango and I am fairly certain I swallowed them before I noticed a funny taste.

Do check your mangoes ;)

planenut 8th June 2020 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2817381)
Do check your mangoes

Very wise advice.