The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Our 1.8T running temps (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=243918)

ceedy 4th May 2016 06:38

Our 1.8T running temps

Usually its runs around 98-99 , but today it was 105-6 max with bursts of 98-99 . is this reasonable ..

Did did have engine overheat flash up on ther IPK for moment ..

Was a little low on coolant :eek:.. took about 1/2 pint..

Before we go into hgf panic :D , Will check all over for any leaks.
Maybe a new Rad cap .
And later will give it a sniffertest .

But it runs like a sewing machine , with no other signs anywhere.. yet? ;)

wish the dizzle got anywhere near this hot :duh::D..

Chris

valleygixer 4th May 2016 06:48

I'd be checking for external leaks, rad cap and air locks before you panic! Hope all is well.

rrobson 4th May 2016 06:57

Check your thermostat also. I've very recently had the thermostat in my 25 1.8 turbo stick closed and that got toasty :D

Shouldn't have any issue with 105 though, that's not too excessive by any stretch. 115 or 120 maybe.
Mine runs at a steady 88-90 but I've got a huge radiator stuck to the front.

VVC-Geeza 4th May 2016 10:03

88-90 here too.

T-Cut 4th May 2016 10:13

Mine now runs in the 88-90C band as well. This has the 'black' PRT in place of the factory fitted 'buff' version. The buff version ran around 5-8 degrees warmer across the range and had a pressure relief opening at 2000 rpm. The black stat doesn't seem to have any pressure relief. Both are nominally 88C thermostats.

Running above 100C is not normal and could be due to lack of coolant. The slow speed cooling fan must be checked too. It should trip on around 104C, but you didn't mention whether that happened. Have you done the standard 'Demist Test''?

Do you mean the red warning light flashed briefly? If so, there was a short period in the 125-130C area, which is not good. Since the warning went out, something cooled the sensor enough to pull it out of the danger zone. Presumably a slug of coolant flooded it. You may be lucky to find there's simply a cooolant leak (there are plenty of places for one). All these are well documented.

TC

ceedy 4th May 2016 12:25

Think I have found a trickle :duh:, running down the front of the Block behind the Exhaust manifold .

Its not had the water checked since just after we go:getmecoat:t it..:o and it didn't take a lot to get the level visible in the Expans tank ..

Whilst moving its in the 98-99, occasionally just over 100 , and if left running the fan comes on at about 110ish . down to 104 ..

So need to keep an eye on this !! :eek:..

SD1too 4th May 2016 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedy (Post 2280676)
... if left running the fan comes on at about 110ish .

Chris; you need urgently to check the fan using the 'demist' test as T-Cut said. It should start running at 104 degrees. If it doesn't, it's probably an open circuit resistor.

Simon

ceedy 4th May 2016 13:48

Shorting the Plug from the trinary switch does nothing.. no fan activity at all . ign on or off.

With car stationary with motor running , and the AC is nice and cold , and the fan goes on and off every 15 secs or so.

Pass on which fan speed that is tho ?.

The old Silver resistor is visible :duh:.

Going to have to get number one son trained up on this as its his motor :o

Chris

murphyv310 4th May 2016 13:59

If the fan pulses on and off with the air-con on your low speed is faulty.
A running temperature of 98-99 is too high I'd be looking for the very low 90's when driving at a steady speed.

ceedy 4th May 2016 14:09

Front off time then! ;)