The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Better Fuel Consumption (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298350)

bsabantam 13th August 2019 19:43

Better Fuel Consumption

For many months despite carbon cleaning, service including all filters the average fuel return was 29.5 mpg in my 75 diesel saloon automatic. Tried the performance diesel fuel in the last two tanks and noted the return with no change to driving conditions or driving style and wow now getting 37.5 first tank and second tank 37.8 , this has to be better for the engine and environment.
Enjoyment factor 10 and more smiles per mile.

tourer 14th August 2019 15:12

A 27% economy improvement just by swapping fuel?
Staggered!

COLVERT 14th August 2019 15:41

That partially seized back brake must have freed itself.---:D:D:D

Tourist 14th August 2019 21:10

Y'all know I'm a sucker for experimenting with MPG in the CDTi engine, so this evening, seeing as I had only 15 miles range left, I brimmed the tank with BP ultimate diesel and set all my tyre pressures to 34PSI.

So far I've not seen a great increase in fuel economy - I took the car along the A14 roadworks just outside Cambridge, a total of 27 miles at an enforced 40 MPH and got an indicated 70.6 MPG over that distance. That's about normal.

Before anyone jumps in - I know it's only an indicated figure and not necessarily accurate but it's about what I usually get on that journey.

I'm about to take the Tourer on a bit of a road trip so will hopefully be able to report back as to whether it's made any difference by the time I've got some miles behind me.

tourer 14th August 2019 22:24

I logged every single litre of fuel that went into my CDT auto tourer over the 12 years that I owned it.
It generally ran on Tesco's Finest (cheapest) but I did try other fuels including the Premium diesels.
They all returned the same mpg, give or take.

T-Cut 15th August 2019 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsabantam (Post 2754745)
For many months despite carbon cleaning, service including all filters the average fuel return was 29.5 mpg in my 75 diesel saloon automatic. Tried the performance diesel fuel in the last two tanks and noted the return with no change to driving conditions or driving style and wow now getting 37.5 first tank and second tank 37.8 , this has to be better for the engine and environment.

Which is a 27% increase in mpg.

I'd be amazed if anyone could get a 1-2% improvement from a variation in fuel 'qualty'. Sorry, but something else has caused it.

TC

COLVERT 15th August 2019 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2755077)
Which is a 27% increase in mpg.

I'd be amazed if anyone could get a 1-2% improvement from a variation in fuel 'qualty'. Sorry, but something else has caused it.

TC

Yep.---See post 3.-----;)

marinabrian 15th August 2019 20:37

Only press one pedal at a time is my advice ;)

The big one on the left should not be used in conjunction with the small one on the right, if fuel consumption is a concern.

As an aside, my 1800 saloon, was indicating 42MPG today.......awesome :drool4:

Brian :D

tourer 16th August 2019 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2755210)
Only press one pedal at a time is my advice ;)

The big one on the left should not be used in conjunction with the small one on the right, if fuel consumption is a concern.

As an aside, my 1800 saloon, was indicating 42MPG today.......awesome :drool4:

Brian :D

My aim is not to use the big one on the left at all if I can help it.
Anticipate and slow down naturally if possible.
Boring, I know.

bsabantam 16th August 2019 23:28

Better fuel consumption

Following the two tanks of premium diesel returning 37mpg, the tank is now filled with Morrisons diesel with a trip meter set to zero, same driving style lets see if the fuel consumption changes.
I shall get a diesel emissions report next week. Our works van a 1.3cdti Vauxhall returns 52mpg might try the same tests.