The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Car Turns Over But Wont Start (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8224)

The_Monk 24th July 2007 06:33

Car Turns Over But Wont Start

Last night coming home the car wouldn't start. It turned over but wouldn't fire, the breakdown man came to have a look and suggested the fuel line had come adrift in the tank. "A common problem" he said. He could hear the pump running and when he checked the pressure at the engine there was none. He squirted some stuff into the engine and it fired and then cut out, and then concluded he was definately right with his analysis.

He give me a lift home and brought the car back on a flat bed truck. Is this an easily fixable thing to do myself? Or is it dealer all the way? A quick search also indicated the fuel filter but I could not see the how-to anywhere, probably staring me in the face!

Thanks

Dave

The_Monk 24th July 2007 06:48

Found one how-to it was in the PDF section! I forget that bit!

How on earth do you measure 38Nm of torque to tighten??!?!

Volzhskyboy 24th July 2007 07:01

I think we're talking a torque wrench!

The_Monk 24th July 2007 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volzhskyboy (Post 75019)
I think we're talking a torque wrench!

Makes sense :o

Keith 24th July 2007 10:22

Do you mean for the retaining ring?

If so that is sort of three fingers worth of "heave" plus or minus a finger

The_Monk 24th July 2007 15:21

Well I've done it! :D It was mighty scary with the petrol, I dont think I breathed the whole time! I now have nagging thoughts about the seal as it was a bit fiddly getting back in, I drove it round the black and everything seems ok.

Thanks to everyone is the other threads that I searched! and the excellent how-to!

rdholmes 25th July 2007 13:55

Nice one - well done.

Its not that bad is it?

If you haven't put the clip (or screw) on then expecvt to do it again in about 10 months! I've done mine 3 times now. :shrug:

The_Monk 25th July 2007 17:53

I have not put a screw in yet, I couldnt get to B&Q to get one, but I will get one and do it when I'm feeling brave again!

I presume there was a clip on it to start? As it came off I guess its now in my petrol tank somewhere, should I endeavour to get it out or leave it, and will it do any harm? Fishing in the petrol tank sounds a dangerous sport!

GreyGhost 25th July 2007 17:58

There was no clip unless it was fitted after manufacture by an owner or garage.
Had one been on it is unlikely that it would ever come off. Buy one and fit it, much better than a self tapping screw.
WJC000230 about a fiver.

The_Monk 25th July 2007 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 75400)
There was no clip unless it was fitted after manufacture by an owner or garage.
Had one been on it is unlikely that it would ever come off. Buy one and fit it, much better than a self tapping screw.
WJC000230 about a fiver.

cheers! Just ordered from rimmers!