The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Moog drop links (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312066)

cbr1100xx 31st March 2021 15:18

Moog drop links

Got some moog drop links from ecp yesterday and fitted today.
I have to say I'm quite impressed with the quality.
The rubber boots are nice and supple
They are held on with wire clips,2 at each end.
And they are the correct size on the threaded part,and also have flats and Allen key fittings in the ends.
I decided not to remove the boots and add extra grease and have made a note of the mileage so we will see if they are as good as they look.

Stan

Rogue 31st March 2021 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbr1100xx (Post 2874358)
Got some moog drop links from ecp yesterday and fitted today.
I have to say I'm quite impressed with the quality.
The rubber boots are nice and supple
They are held on with wire clips,2 at each end.
And they are the correct size on the threaded part,and also have flats and Allen key fittings in the ends.
I decided not to remove the boots and add extra grease and have made a note of the mileage so we will see if they are as good as they look.

Stan

Coincidentally i picked up some Moog track rod ends and an inner tie rod today and thought much the same as you. Will see how long they last compared to the 21yr old originals :}

suzublu 31st March 2021 16:08

When my car was 13, I fitted Moog droplinks, got 4 years out of them 😎

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Number 6 31st March 2021 16:31

Why is it that the originals last up to 10 or 12 years, as mine did and replacements dont last a quarter of the time??:shrug:

Phil-T4 1st April 2021 06:51

Cause the shocks have weakened and dont supply the damping on short strokes, therefore the ball joints take all the hammering and fail.

Number 6 1st April 2021 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil-T4 (Post 2874474)
Cause the shocks have weakened and dont supply the damping on short strokes, therefore the ball joints take all the hammering and fail.

Thanks Phil. I never gave that a thought. :bowdown:

The Rovering Member 1st April 2021 22:33

I bought some Moog droplinks for an early Astra last week as they'll do the job on the A60 Farina's if you're stuck for originals which l was. Then an owners club member came up with some originals for me so they were unnecessary after all. They were cheap though so no matter. :D

My original front springs & pans were rotten though so l had to spend some money there. :duh:

SD1too 2nd April 2021 07:46

My originals are 22 years old and there's nothing wrong with the balljoints. One rubber boot has split and the other is cracked. I have yet to inspect the other side but suspect I'll find the same.

I can't complain at that lifespan. Genuine MG Rover replacements are £27.72 including vat, not a fortune particularly if they last another 22 years. :D

Simon

Atlan 2nd April 2021 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2874660)
My originals are 22 years old and there's nothing wrong with the balljoints. One rubber boot has split and the other is cracked. :D

Simon

They wouldn't pass an Mot then = Fail.:D:D

Sheraton 2nd April 2021 20:11

:cool:

I have a few Moog Parts fitted up Front - Control Arms, Inner Tie rods(Vw/Ford etc.. spec) and Track Rod Ends - Happy enough with them :}

I may try the Drop Links next time they're required - I'm assuming it's Front Drop Links you fitted ?

Paul.