The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   BT problem. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290752)

jackatesme 4th December 2018 14:47

BT problem.

Some months ago i had trouble with low speed internet speed. Advised by BT to upgrade to fibre,where i would get up to 50mp. During the summer it has been working great, BUT now that the wet weather is back my speed is below 5mp.
Engineer called today and said fault was with the copper wire from junction box 500mts away,as fibre only goes to junction box. Can't fault engineer he was very thorough checking from street boxes all the way back to junction box.
I was not present when he left,but had an e-mail saying problem fixed.Checked my speed,still below 5mp.
As the problem is with outside wiring,would there be any point in me changing supplier,or would it be better if i moved house.:icon_lol:

Darcydog 4th December 2018 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2691761)
Some months ago i had trouble with low speed internet speed. Advised by BT to upgrade to fibre,where i would get up to 50mp. During the summer it has been working great, BUT now that the wet weather is back my speed is below 5mp.
Engineer called today and said fault was with the copper wire from junction box 500mts away,as fibre only goes to junction box. Can't fault engineer he was very thorough checking from street boxes all the way back to junction box.
I was not present when he left,but had an e-mail saying problem fixed.Checked my speed,still below 5mp.
As the problem is with outside wiring,would there be any point in me changing supplier,or would it be better if i moved house.:icon_lol:

We had exactly this!

I changed supplier and was told I could not have their version of the fibre optic contract because there was not a fibre optic cable anywhere near our house!!

Not only that but the new provider can force BT to clean up the line as they obviously done want to take on a problem line.

My new provider provided me with a report on the appalling service and mis-selling by BT of fibre - and I was able to make a complaint that was upheld and I received nearly £700 back.

As a consequence I NEVER recommend BT.

The engineers are great - after all it was Openreach that were “employed” by my new provider to sort out the mess.

But the sales department and overall corporate honesty of BT is shockingly low to nonexistent.

I recommend switching.

We went with Utility Warehouse and so far they have been very good.

jackatesme 4th December 2018 18:12

Thanks for reply, i have only just renewed my contract with bt football so may not be able to cancel my contract. Do you think i would have a case for cancelling contract as they are not supplying what i am paying for. Anyone else please be free to offer advice.:smiley:

clf 4th December 2018 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2691840)
Thanks for reply, i have only just renewed my contract with bt football so may not be able to cancel my contract. Do you think i would have a case for cancelling contract as they are not supplying what i am paying for. Anyone else please be free to offer advice.:smiley:

I dont know the full circumstances, but relaying a story my ex bt engineer father told me (this was pre home hubs never mind fibre lol). I know fibre is not affected the way copper is. But have you a cordless phone near to the router, or anything cordless near it? He was at a house in the early days of broadband. The owner had just changed from ISDN to broadband, but like you the speeds were either slow or stop. Turned out to be the cordless phone sitting against the router! He was very thorough too, even going as far to rewire from the socket to entry in the house. Unplugging the phone normally showed issues, but becuse he didnt switch off its power, it was still emitting something.

macafee2 4th December 2018 20:40

Go back to Openreach, it is not BT :)
Tell them the problem still exists
Alas their call centre staff are not up to much, I'm ex Openreach and had the devils own job convincing them our hub was duff.

Any way you could try an email to the CEO
[email protected]

Changing BB provider may not help as you may still be fed via Openreach's network

macafee2

MSS 5th December 2018 06:46

My advice would be to keep it simple.

Remove all extensions etc. from your master socket and connect the hub directly to the master socket.

Power down and up the hub, leave it working for a couple of hours.

Then call BT - the normal Consumer desk and not Openreach. They will do remote tests and book another engineer visit if necessary.

Networks are now extremely complex and sometimes problems are fixed and then return. It's a bit like diagnosing fueling issues on a modern diesel.

IMO going to the CEO is way OTT - people need to relax a bit and work with other people who are usually doing their best to hep you.

If you wish to bypass the BT network altogether, the only option really is Virgin fibre or one of the coax networks if they are available in your area.

macafee2 5th December 2018 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2691959)

Remove all extensions etc. from your master socket and connect the hub directly to the master socket.

Then call BT - the normal Consumer desk and not Openreach. They will do remote tests and book another engineer visit if necessary.

Networks are now extremely complex and sometimes problems are fixed and then return. It's a bit like diagnosing fueling issues on a modern diesel.

IMO going to the CEO is way OTT - people need to relax a bit and work with other people who are usually doing their best to hep you.

If you wish to bypass the BT network altogether, the only option really is Virgin fibre or one of the coax networks if they are available in your area.

The network belongs to Openreach and is "separate" from BT. Look at the vans that you see at the side of the road dealing with their plant, they are Openreach and so are the vans that come to your business and home to deal with fibre and copper issues, unless contractors are being used.

macafee2

Lancpudn 5th December 2018 09:09

Those are bad internet speeds for this day and age saying almost everything is done online.
No Virgin media there?
I have their basic broadband package and consistently get over 100Mbps.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7854848343.png

Nick Greg 5th December 2018 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2691959)

Going to the CEO is definitely not over the top. They need to be held to account for failures in their services. Its always my first port of call and believe me it always gets results and fast. Don't hesitate to do it.

bikerdude666 5th December 2018 09:32

I completely agree with the CEO route. Years ago we had phone and broadband through virgin, but on the BT network, it was fine at 1st, but after a couple of months the speed dropped to less than 1mbps (often as low as 0.1mbps) and would often drop out completely for hours. Each time we phoned the help desk they'd get us to do the same checks again and again, then ask us to leave it for a few hours and if it hadn't got better call back and explain and they'd see what else they could do. Every time it didn't get any better and when we called back and explained, they insisted we went through the same tests as we'd already done, again and again and again.

This went on for a few weeks, and in the end I got home from a nightshift and had something online I needed to pay, and the internet was again ridiculously slow, then non-existent! I had Just enough of a mobile signal to send off an email to the CEO of virgin media, and within hours I had a call from 1 of his secretaries, refunded the money from the last 2 months, and an engineer came out the next day to have a look. Unfortunately they couldn't seem to find the issue, and so they gave us some compensation and let us end the contract before it was up without any further payment. We moved out within a few weeks so don't know if it ever got sorted.

Gate Keeper 5th December 2018 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancpudn (Post 2691986)
Those are bad internet speeds for this day and age saying almost everything is done online.
No Virgin media there?
I have their basic broadband package and consistently get over 100Mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7854848343.png

As you know Ian, we moved house on 22 November. I did not get connected to BT until 26 November and no time to switch providers, as I flew out to Kenya on 3 December. I complained to BT about their charges as they wanted £70 per month for unlimited superfibre and weekend + evening calls. After my complaint, they patched me through to another department and then it was dropped to £29 per month. They said the speed will go up and down in the first 10 days. The wall socket says it’s Open Reach, which I thought looked ugly and chunky. The speed was miserably slow.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...D37E989748.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...52C815ED97.jpg

Lancpudn 5th December 2018 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2691999)
As you know Ian, we moved house on 22 November. I did not get connected to BT until 26 November and no time to switch providers, as I flew out to Kenya on 3 December. I complained to BT about their charges as they wanted £70 per month for unlimited superfibre and weekend + evening calls. After my complaint, they patched me through to another department and then it was dropped to £29 per month. They said the speed will go up and down in the first 10 days. The wall socket says it’s Open Reach, which I thought looked ugly and chunky. The speed was miserably slow.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...D37E989748.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...52C815ED97.jpg

Morning Phil, Dear me! those speeds are no better if not worse than the old dial up days. :eek:

Gate Keeper 5th December 2018 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancpudn (Post 2692002)
Morning Phil, Dear me! those speeds are no better if not worse than the old dial up days. :eek:

There is also a Virgin box (also chunky) on the wall, inactive. If BT does not improve, I could make the switch to Virgin when I return in 6 months.....

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...4A2340DD33.jpg

mystabe 5th December 2018 13:09

Virgin isn't always the answer - we have it at home (full fibre optic cable to the house) and it was brilliant 5 years ago with 150mps+ pretty much all the time but now it's very hit and miss despite being checked by a Virgin Engineer. It occasionally gets to over 100mps but is more usually around 50 and the hub struggles with more than 3 users. The 'solution' apparently is to turn the hub off overnight but to my mind that's not a solution it's a a bodge.

On the other hand at work I have BT broadband which arrives by a copper cable from a nearby telephone pylon - 40mps pretty much all the time, admittedly it is only me using it but even so.

It depends a LOT on where you are and how many other people are connected I suspect - which is probably why my home Virgin service has suffered over the years.

jackatesme 5th December 2018 14:29

Just checked my speed,3.5mps. When i first had trouble with my broadband i was asked to upgrade my router,after a while had same problem.So then upgraded to fibre as suggested by bt. Now i find out that the problem is with the copper wire from junction box to the house,as fibre only goes to junction box.
I may not be well informed about the technicalities of broadband but i should imagine that the fibre was already in junction box and all they have done is connect my copper wire.
So they have charged me twice to upgrade,but i am still using the faulty copper wire.
Bit of a rant i know,but to add, we have just had what the yanks call an outage with our electricity for 2 hrs and i missed bargain hunt.:icon_lol:

mystabe 5th December 2018 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2692041)
Bit of a rant i know,but to add, we have just had what the yanks call an outage with our electricity for 2 hrs and i missed bargain hunt.:icon_lol:

At least you're back in time for Antiques Road Trip :D

MSS 5th December 2018 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2691985)
The network belongs to Openreach and is "separate" from BT. Look at the vans that you see at the side of the road dealing with their plant, they are Openreach and so are the vans that come to your business and home to deal with fibre and copper issues, unless contractors are being used.

macafee2

I am aware that Openreach owns the network and it is operationally separate from the rest of BT. But, end customers do not have a relationship with Openreach, only with the service provider arms of BT or another service provider that uses the Openreach network e.g. TalkTalk. If an end customer tries to go directly to Openreach, they may be redirected to the service provider, where they should have gone in the first place, or if OR do entertain the call and take some action your Service Provider's systems (i.e. BT Consumer's or TalkTalk's etc.) may get out of alignment in terms of the data relating to your issue, progress towards resolution etc. on their agent/customer facing systems.

As for going to the CEO after just one engineer visit, personally I don't think it would ever be justified. All it achieves overall is an increase in the cost of serving customers and ultimately higher prices for us as customers.

The principle that I always follow is to de-escalate and aim to achieve resolution at the lowest possible level in any organisation. Unfortunately, the world is full of people who think they must have the answer now and who rant when they do not get what they want straight away. Ask anyone running a service business such as a lawnmower repair shop and you will see what I mean. So it really depends on what sort of person each one of us wants to be. Personally, I would like those individuals attempting to provide a service to me to be happy bunnies and to go home feeling that they have dealt with a nice person. I never fail to get what I want!

MSS 5th December 2018 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2692041)
I may not be well informed about the technicalities of broadband but i should imagine that the fibre was already in junction box and all they have done is connect my copper wire.
So they have charged me twice to upgrade,but i am still using the faulty copper wire.

This not questioning what you are saying - I am just trying to understand and help, so please bear with me. :xmas-smiley-008:

The current problem is not necessairily the same as your original problem. Unfortunately, dry joints and moisture relted problems with copper calbes are not predictable so one such problem could occur after another.

Being upgraded to fiber is not simply a case of connecting your telephone line to a fibre at the cabinet. There is a lot of very complex work that needs to take place in the background.

My personal recommendation (as previously) is to call up the BT service desk and if the next visit does not resolve the problem then raise a complain with BT (Consumer).

trikey 5th December 2018 17:16

Think yourselves lucky you don’t live in rural Norfolk.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0308e9de68.jpg

MSS 5th December 2018 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2692077)
Think yourselves lucky you don’t live in rural Norfolk.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0308e9de68.jpg

I think myself lucky for not living anywhere in Norfolk! :laughing2::laughing2::laughing2:

Gate Keeper 5th December 2018 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2692080)
I think myself lucky for not living anywhere in Norfolk! :laughing2::laughing2::laughing2:

There is Africa......:smiley::smiley: :cool2:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...6D70DCD856.jpg

Nick Greg 5th December 2018 19:02

This tripe of not contacting the CEO is rubbish. How can it possibly increase costs. CEO' s are ultimately responsible for everything that goes on. The buck stops there. Do not hesitate to contact them

macafee2 5th December 2018 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2692057)
I am aware that Openreach owns the network and it is operationally separate from the rest of BT. But, end customers do not have a relationship with Openreach, only with the service provider arms of BT or another service provider that uses the Openreach network e.g. TalkTalk. If an end customer tries to go directly to Openreach, they may be redirected to the service provider, where they should have gone in the first place, or if OR do entertain the call and take some action your Service Provider's systems (i.e. BT Consumer's or TalkTalk's etc.) may get out of alignment in terms of the data relating to your issue, progress towards resolution etc. on their agent/customer facing systems.

As for going to the CEO after just one engineer visit, personally I don't think it would ever be justified. All it achieves overall is an increase in the cost of serving customers and ultimately higher prices for us as customers.

The principle that I always follow is to de-escalate and aim to achieve resolution at the lowest possible level in any organisation. Unfortunately, the world is full of people who think they must have the answer now and who rant when they do not get what they want straight away. Ask anyone running a service business such as a lawnmower repair shop and you will see what I mean. So it really depends on what sort of person each one of us wants to be. Personally, I would like those individuals attempting to provide a service to me to be happy bunnies and to go home feeling that they have dealt with a nice person. I never fail to get what I want!

opps yes you are quite right I'd forgotten service providers. see what a year out does. I apologise

You do indeed ring your service provider to report a fault but if not repaired
no harm in contacting the Openreach CEO.

macafee2

Darcydog 5th December 2018 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Greg (Post 2692114)
This tripe of not contacting the CEO is rubbish. How can it possibly increase costs. CEO' s are ultimately responsible for everything that goes on. The buck stops there. Do not hesitate to contact them

In fact most CEO’s welcome such feedback from their customers. CEO’s often realise that their line management cover up “bad news”. The so called ‘mushroom management’ can be fed upwards and often is.

Contacting the CEO can provide that key individual with the reality of the situation he or she may be isolated from.

I can seriously see no good reason to keep them in the dark about the genuine reasons you are dissatisfied with the service their company is providing.

trikey 5th December 2018 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2692108)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...6D70DCD856.jpg

But you have lovely weather and beautiful animals, that's the trade off.

Gate Keeper 5th December 2018 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2692123)
In fact most CEO’s welcome such feedback from their customers. CEO’s often realise that their line management cover up “bad news”. The so called ‘mushroom management’ can be fed upwards and often is.

Contacting the CEO can provide that key individual with the reality of the situation he or she may be isolated from.

I can seriously see no good reason to keep them in the dark about the genuine reasons you are dissatisfied with the service their company is providing.

Here is a response from Gavin Patterson at BT, source: The Guardian ;)

“I respond personally to customers for two reasons,” says BT CEO Gavin Patterson. “Firstly, because I want to set the right tone – customers pay our salaries and dividends, and without them, we haven’t got a business. As CEO you can say that, but unless you act on it people don’t believe you. Second, customer emails are also a source of insight into what’s going on in the business. I’ll spot trends I haven’t necessarily been told about or other people haven’t noticed.

“It’s very easy for people in senior positions to become detached. In as many cases as I can, I’ll personally reply, acknowledging the complaint and forwarding it to the right person to ensure it gets fixed. You have to have a tough skin – I treat aggressive, swearing emails no differently. If there’s a problem, we’ll aim to fix it as fast as we possibly can.” [email protected].

MSS 6th December 2018 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Greg (Post 2691988)
Going to the CEO is definitely not over the top. They need to be held to account for failures in their services. Its always my first port of call and believe me it always gets results and fast. Don't hesitate to do it.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Greg (Post 2692114)

I am happy for an individual to have the opinion that my opinion is tripe. But, it would help if they were to actually read my expressed opinion, which was

Quote:

As for going to the CEO after just one engineer visit, personally I don't think it would ever be justified.

I recognise that there are individuals who are so full of their self importance that they will want to have the loudest rant at the first sign of them not getting what they want straight away. In my opinion, it is actually a sign of their inability to work with their equals to achieve their objective.

It is often the case in organisations that some people will always escalate to the top of the management chain to get what they want. When that has happened to me, I have always taken pleasure in pointing out that their action was a strong indication of their inability to influence people positively and was thus a failure on their part. :xmas-smiley-008:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2692108)

Suffolk is far enough to be safe! :icon_lol:

Nick Greg 6th December 2018 08:21

As for going to the CEO after just one engineer visit, personally I don't think it would ever be justified.

Now that all depends on what happened on that visit doesn't it. If the customer was left very dissappointed, no matter how many visits one is perfectly justified to contact the CEO. My main point was your claim it increases costs to which I haven't seen any evidence. Reading the entire thread most agree contacting the CEO is a good idea. I rest my case

jackatesme 6th December 2018 10:24

Ongoing saga,tried speed test this morning 44mps,pleased with that. Tried again 2 mins ago,17mps,flashing router lost connection and message "Your connection is not private."

Darcydog 6th December 2018 10:27

Complaints are a good thing

A company can learn what is going wrong and put it right. That saves money

Where service is so bad that a letter to the CEO is justified then any competent person, CEO or otherwise, should be able to see that if a systemic problem within the organisation gets sorted, then the savings to that organisation will be substantial.

A complaint is an opportunity to learn and to improve. Keeping the lid on complaints is toxic. A huge mistake.

jackatesme 6th December 2018 15:27

I think my next step is to get in touch with the CEO.

Gate Keeper 6th December 2018 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2692267)
I think my next step is to get in touch with the CEO.

Do it ASAP John, as Gavin Patterson the current CEO of BT is stepping down at the end this month. If you check my post in the thread you will find his direct email address. All the best with that.

MSS 6th December 2018 18:33

I hope you people are not with O2 for your mobile contracts - the poor CEO would be losing the will to live!

:smiley:

Gate Keeper 6th December 2018 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2692296)
I hope you people are not with O2 for your mobile contracts - the poor CEO would be losing the will to live!

Que será, será :getmecoat:

bikerdude666 6th December 2018 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2692296)

I don't think any of us are suggesting the moment your broadband slows down or drops out you should contact the CEO. If its a persistent problem and they are failing to solve it, then should we just keep paying the bill and accept a bad service?

As previously stated, going to the top at Virgin worked well for me.

Also when I worked for Sainsburys and they owed me money for overtime for about 3 months, promising to pay it in the following wage packet, and failing, I emailed the CEO. Had the money owed to me, in cash, within 24hrs. Area HR got a kicking, who gave the store HR a kicking. Strangely enough, despite previously being quite widespread within store on a monthly basis, peoples wages stopped getting messed up after that... Christmas profits scam.

MSS 6th December 2018 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerdude666 (Post 2692375)
I don't think any of us are suggesting the moment your broadband slows down or drops out you should contact the CEO. If its a persistent problem and they are failing to solve it, then should we just keep paying the bill and accept a bad service?

Yours is a very mature attitude and one that I fully support.

However, if you read some of the earlier posts, they are suggesting exactly what you are not.

In fact, from what the OP has written, he has only had one engineer visit that fixed the problem but it has reappeared.

There appears to be general lack of understanding of how sophisticated our telecomms service providers are terms of gathering, reporting and analysing faults in order to detect patterns and take remedial actions.

Telecomms is the most heavily regulated of any British industry or service sector and the service providers are required to report to the regulator Ofcom details of their service performance, faults etc. on a regular basis, with fines being imposed for unsatisfactory performance.

People thinking that service faults or complaints get brushed under the carpet if not highlighted to the CEO are showing a complete lack of understanding of the industry and how it operates.

We should be celebrating and supporting instead of criticising one of the few industries where we are still world leaders. Except of course hairdressing and coffee consumption. :icon_rolleyes:

MSS 6th December 2018 23:15

Why not check your bills for the past few months online and all will be revealed about your charges - there is a full breakdown of usage and charges on each bill! :xmas-smiley-008:

Nick Greg 7th December 2018 07:38

People thinking that service faults or complaints get brushed under the carpet if not highlighted to the CEO are showing a complete lack of understanding of the industry and how it operates.

1 am not the slightest bit interested in how the industry operates. All I want is a decent service, like the ones that are advertised.
By the way you never did answer the question as to how costs increase because we may choose to contact the CEO?

jackatesme 7th December 2018 09:02

To calm everyone down,this not the 1st time i have experienced a problem.
It has happened about 4/5 times over the 2 years.
Whenever the weather is wet i get problems. The 1st time i was advised to upgrade my router,the second time i was advised to upgrade to fibre which i did,each time costing more money.
The last engineer told me that the problem is with copper wire,so the upgrades have had no effect on the problem,so were pointless.
I have enquired about Virgin Media,but they are not operating in my area.
Last night i sent an e-mail ( begging letter ) to B.T. CEO. Awaiting response.:xmas-smiley-008:

greendriver 7th December 2018 12:22

Anyone can, and has a right to write directly to the CEO. However, with a company the size of BT, the CEO will not have enough hours in the day to deal with all ceo complaints. They will be intercepted and dealt with by the relavant department.

The CEO will want to know about "complaint trends" in order to improve the service

MSS 7th December 2018 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Greg (Post 2692427)
By the way you never did answer the question as to how costs increase because we may choose to contact the CEO?

I didn't realize there was a question on this earlier. Here is the answer and this applies to all large service organisations not just telecomms.

There is a common myth that CEO level complaints are looked at by the CEO. If you think about it, is the CEO of a £5bn to £50bn business really going to expend his time looking at a complaint from a person in Wales whose line is suffering issues due to moisture because it's always peeing down in Wales (humour intednded) and other similar complaints that arrive at his office each day? The boards of these companies have a "Senior Complaints" team that respond to complaints directed at the top layer of management. Once a complaint is received, one of the team will take ownership and progress it, normally using the same technical specialist teams that would be used if a complaint had been raised via the standard complaint procedure of the organisation. Once the issue is resolved, the resolution is reported back to the "Senior Level Complaints" team for report back to the complainant. You will see this type of approach in all sorts of service industries e.g. insurance, telecomms, banking.....
The increase in cost results from the fact that a "Senior Level Complaint" involves an additional layer of people on top of the standard complaints handling process which will normally be highly automated and optimised. Additional layer of people mean additional cost. This is also why low-cost service businesses such as couriers make it extremely difficult for a customer to obtain a direct contact into the organisation that bypasses its standard service desk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2692444)
Whenever the weather is wet i get problems. The 1st time i was advised to upgrade my router,the second time i was advised to upgrade to fibre which i did,each time costing more money.
The last engineer told me that the problem is with copper wire,so the upgrades have had no effect on the problem,so were pointless.
Last night i sent an e-mail ( begging letter ) to B.T. CEO. Awaiting response.:xmas-smiley-008:

That puts a different light on the matter. Thank you for spoiling our fun that could otherwise have continued if you had not provided this helpful information. :icon_rolleyes:

You should also send a complaint to the CEO of Virgin for not providing service in your area. Have a gues as to why that is so! :xmas-smiley-008:

MSS 7th December 2018 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendriver (Post 2692511)
Anyone can, and has a right to write directly to the CEO. However, with a company the size of BT, the CEO will not have enough hours in the day to deal with all ceo complaints. They will be intercepted and dealt with by the relavant department.

The CEO will want to know about "complaint trends" in order to improve the service

Thank you. Someone who understands how it works. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Gate Keeper 7th December 2018 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2692444)

So it’s not the router, it’s not the fibre upgrade and it’s not the copper wire. You described how worse it is in wet weather. John, you have shown much patience and endurance over the 2 years it’s been faulty. Hopefully the CEO is going to get to the root of the problem. He claims he likes to deal with email complaints from customers direct. Whatever his response is, its certainly time you had satisfaction and closure.

Nick Greg 7th December 2018 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2692515)
I didn't realize there was a question on this earlier. Here is the answer and this applies to all large service organisations not just telecomms.

There is a common myth that CEO level complaints are looked at by the CEO. If you think about it, is the CEO of a £5bn to £50bn business really going to expend his time looking at a complaint from a person in Wales whose line is suffering issues due to moisture because it's always peeing down in Wales (humour intednded) and other similar complaints that arrive at his office each day? The boards of these companies have a "Senior Complaints" team that respond to complaints directed at the top layer of management. Once a complaint is received, one of the team will take ownership and progress it, normally using the same technical specialist teams that would be used if a complaint had been raised via the standard complaint procedure of the organisation. Once the issue is resolved, the resolution is reported back to the "Senior Level Complaints" team for report back to the complainant. You will see this type of approach in all sorts of service industries e.g. insurance, telecomms, banking.....
The increase in cost results from the fact that a "Senior Level Complaint" involves an additional layer of people on top of the standard complaints handling process which will normally be highly automated and optimised. Additional layer of people mean additional cost. This is also why low-cost service businesses such as couriers make it extremely difficult for a customer to obtain a direct contact into the organisation that bypasses its standard service desk.

That puts a different light on the matter. Thank you for spoiling our fun that could otherwise have continued if you had not provided this helpful information. :icon_rolleyes:

You should also send a complaint to the CEO of Virgin for not providing service in your area. Have a gues as to why that is so! :xmas-smiley-008:

Unbelievably tedious diatribe. I'm out of this post folks. I asked a 1 sentence question and its reponse is this ridiculous waffle.

If you want to mail the CEO just do so folks. Ignore advice to the contrary

MSS 7th December 2018 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Greg (Post 2692528)
Unbelievably tedious diatribe. I'm out of this post folks. I asked a 1 sentence question and its reponse is this ridiculous waffle.

If you want to mail the CEO just do so folks. Ignore advice to the contrary

"diatribe" = a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something

Really?

I am speechless.

Darcydog 7th December 2018 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2692532)
"diatribe" = a forceful and bitter verbal attack against someone or something

Really?

I am speechless.

Your copious posts in defence of your beloved BT :icon_rolleyes:give evidence to the contrary.

Nick Greg 7th December 2018 14:00

Alternative meaning:

ironic or satirical criticism

Pick what you want to prove the point.:icon_lol:

MSS 7th December 2018 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2692541)
Your copious posts in defence of your beloved BT :icon_rolleyes:give evidence to the contrary.

Member below engagement worthiness threshold. Ignored.

jackatesme 7th December 2018 17:27

Well got a response from my e-mail to bt,not from CEO but a subordinate thanking me for getting in touch.They will send a broadband specialist to me Monday.
Been all afternoon trying to put up this post.
"no internet connection","your internet is not private" "hub manager problem"
flashing red and orange on router and even loosing connection when router showing blue (O.K.)
Hooray there at last!

Gate Keeper 7th December 2018 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2692607)
Well got a response from my e-mail to bt,not from CEO but a subordinate thanking me for getting in touch.They will send a broadband specialist to me Monday.
flashing red and orange on router and even loosing connection when router showing blue (O.K.)
Hooray there at last!

How disappointing Mr Patterson was not able to keep to his word. It’s just as well he is leaving. In 2017 he earned nearly £2.3 million. He won’t be leaving hard up. Hopefully his replacement will do better. I know the router you have got John. Red and orange, it says contact BT about your broadband connection. You have done well to get a specialist to come out to you on Monday. Keep us posted.

Darcydog 7th December 2018 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2692607)
Hooray there at last!

There! - a result in my view.

Do let us know how things progress.

clf 7th December 2018 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGJohn (Post 2692619)
RED CARD for you Gate Keeper.

Inappropriate use of the word "earned". Paid far more suitable. BIG difference.

UK excel at over rewarding failure or poor performance particularly for so called "high flyers". Plus lump sums and nice pensions on severance.

I read and thought the same as you, but having thought about it, would still say 'earned'. Do you realise how much effort is involved in stepping on people, brown nosing and networking to get that high? It takes a lot of effort........... not much ability, but plenty of effort and a brass neck of course lol.

I agree wholeheartedly, that 'high rankers' as my colleague calls them, are effectively rewarded for messing things up. If something equivalent happens at a lower level with someone responsible, they are fired, no golden handshake.

There are a handful of specialist 'ceo surfers' that join failing companies, in their dying days, hang around for a couple of years lining their nest with contractual handshakes, for when the inevitable happens. (DSG were brought to their knees by one such imbecile, I met him after he came to our company, and him and another did the same thing. Imbecile is the only word I can use, or cabbage, cabbage probably better). These guys move on with nary a blot on their reputation.

Gate Keeper 7th December 2018 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGJohn (Post 2692619)
RED CARD for you Gate Keeper.

Inappropriate use of the word "earned". Paid far more suitable. BIG difference.

UK excel at over rewarding failure or poor performance particularly for so called "high flyers". Plus lump sums and nice pensions on severance.

Talking about flyers, ever since my schooldays in the 1950s, this for me will always be a Gatekeeper. Pleased to report they are frequent in my garden during mid-summer. Seen females ovipositing on the garden lawn. Their larvae are grass eaters... no problems there ..:)

http://i68.tinypic.com/14tlmr9.jpg

We could have an argument over the word “earned”, but it would take this thread away from the OP and I would not want it to get personal. However the inclusion of the Gatekeeper is all forgiving and rather beautiful to see :}:}

macafee2 8th December 2018 08:17

yesterday I tried to call DHL, the number I called had 3 options, each one was voice and keypad activated and of no use to me, I needed to talk to someone. I emailed the ceo, I'm not wasting my time making call after call. If they want to make things difficult they can feel the pain.
I got home and they had done as asked.

That's good enough for me

macafee2

MSS 8th December 2018 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2692737)
yesterday I tried to call DHL, the number I called had 3 options, each one was voice and keypad activated and of no use to me, I needed to talk to someone. I emailed the ceo, I'm not wasting my time making call after call. If they want to make things difficult they can feel the pain.
I got home and they had done as asked.

That's good enough for me

macafee2

In reality Ian, it was the CAO you emaild. The Clerical Assistant Ordinaire.

But, as long as you are happy! :laugh:

macafee2 8th December 2018 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2692786)
In reality Ian, it was the CAO you emaild. The Clerical Assistant Ordinaire.

But, as long as you are happy! :laugh:

may be the cao read it and dealt with it but I got what I wanted so sending to ceo worked

macafee2

Darcydog 8th December 2018 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2692791)
may be the cao read it and dealt with it but I got what I wanted so sending to ceo worked

macafee2

Good that you got it sorted - and is it just me that finds it laughable that a new position of “clerical assistant ordinaire” has to be fabricated in order to satisfy someone’s vanity?

MSS 9th December 2018 08:43

Member below engagement worthiness threshold. Ignored.

:xmas-smiley-008:

jackatesme 9th December 2018 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2692938)
Good that you got it sorted - and is it just me that finds it laughable that a new position of “clerical assistant ordinaire” has to be fabricated in order to satisfy someone’s vanity?

While we wait for my follow up let us play.
Telecommunications manager: operator.
Environmental and public recreational area manager: park keeper. :xmas-smiley-008:

Gate Keeper 9th December 2018 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2693034)
While we wait for my follow up let us play.
Telecommunications manager: operator.
Environmental and public recreational area manager: park keeper. :xmas-smiley-008:

Just for a laugh, but true. When I worked in the NHS in London, my street name was “Phil the pill” and I would like think it broke down barriers, but who knows. What about yourself John, what was your street name?

Darcydog 9th December 2018 12:50

In the last few years I was nominated to attend a number networking meetings on behalf of the firm. Overall it was enjoyable with a full English to be eaten whilst presentations took place.

What used to make me laugh was how some introduced themselves

There were a lot of “Consultants” promoting how they could improve your business despite it being fairly obvious that they could not improve their own. When asked what they did the response was invariably something along the lines of “facilitating others to achieve blah blah blah.....”

One chap had “Head of Inspiration” on his business card.

Sadly it didn’t work and he went to work for a big firm.

jackatesme 9th December 2018 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2693051)
Just for a laugh, but true. When I worked in the NHS in London, my street name was “Phil the pill” and I would like think it broke down barriers, but who knows. What about yourself John, what was your street name?

The only nickname i have had was "seven". In the sixties, John Barry 7.
Thought of another one.
Heavy Goods Logistic Assistant: Forklift Driver.

bikerdude666 9th December 2018 20:03

I used to be a ‘nocturnal stock replenishment technician’... ok, shelf stacker.

clf 9th December 2018 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerdude666 (Post 2693269)
I used to be a ‘nocturnal stock replenishment technician’... ok, shelf stacker.

that's an operative, their supervisor would be the technician :p:

how about preservation, collection and management assistant? storeman

bikerdude666 10th December 2018 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2693271)
that's an operative, their supervisor would be the technician :p:

how about preservation, collection and management assistant? storeman

No, he was the nocturnal stock replenishment director...

jackatesme 11th December 2018 16:05

Update,no broadband expert yesterday,had a phone call saying he was double booked.
2 engineers called today,checked outside house speed 50,inside house 10.
They decided to renew in house cabling, now got a reading of 45.
Happy with that. Also left their phone numbers if any more problem.
Very pleased with their approach to problem, they were here for 2.1/2 hrs maybe because of the tea and home made apple tart.:xmas-smiley-008:

MSS 11th December 2018 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2693671)
Update,no broadband expert yesterday,had a phone call saying he was double booked.
2 engineers called today,checked outside house speed 50,inside house 10.
They decided to renew in house cabling, now got a reading of 45.
Happy with that. Also left their phone numbers if any more problem.
Very pleased with their approach to problem, they were here for 2.1/2 hrs maybe because of the tea and home made apple tart.:xmas-smiley-008:

Excellent.

Out of interest, when you say house cabling, is that cabling from the outside, through your walls, to the white master socket or on the house side of the master socket?

Thanks. :xmas-smiley-008:

jackatesme 11th December 2018 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2693679)
Excellent.

Out of interest, when you say house cabling, is that cabling from the outside, through your walls, to the white master socket or on the house side of the master socket?

Thanks. :xmas-smiley-008:

Yes from outside,original was through front door,along hallway,turn right over kitchen door,then into living room. New cable,through new drilled hole straight into living room.:xmas-smiley-008:

macafee2 11th December 2018 20:05

I once had a role with the title Location Manager for some 30 telephone exchanges. I was not a manager but did a bit of security checking and environmental checking.
Reported building faults as required. Great role until the management mucked it up, then I began to hate the role. Was relived when I was moved to another role. Mind you as I did not get overtime but time off in Lou I got to watch every football match my children played in while at school

macafee2

jackatesme 11th December 2018 21:09

Talking about watching children. I used to take my son to under 7 rugby training.
One session was carried out in heavy snow and freezing conditions. When it finished he said to me,"look dad i'm the only one not crying.":xmas-smiley-008:

MSS 12th December 2018 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2693694)
Yes from outside,original was through front door,along hallway,turn right over kitchen door,then into living room. New cable,through new drilled hole straight into living room.:xmas-smiley-008:

Given that you are pleased with the engineer's conduct, why not send an email to the CEO saying so?

It will find it's way to the engineers and will mean a lot to them.

Darcydog 12th December 2018 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2693857)
Given that you are pleased with the engineer's conduct, why not send an email to the CEO saying so?

Excellent idea - totally support this.

Positive Feedback to flag up the good is as important and as constructive as flagging up the not so good and the downright suspect.

Good that you now seem to appreciate this Maninder - well done!!

jackatesme 12th December 2018 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2693857)

Already done.