The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   reversing light failure (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290488)

skullhead 25th November 2018 11:07

reversing light failure

Hi all, I need some help if possible.

Car passed mot last month, but, yesterday I found out my reversing lights were not working.

I have just followed the how to in tech section, and after cleaning I tried the button manually and they worked fine, so I thought great, job done.

Put wheel back on and started engine with my wife behind saying that my lights were still not working when gears were put in reverse.

Now I need help as to what else could be wrong.

Thanks in advance to all

paul

suffolk boy 25th November 2018 12:49

the end of the switch plunger wears away over time. the fix depending on what you have to hand a blob of solder on the end will do or a new switch.btw i am far from daft but what button did you clean and then test?

skullhead 25th November 2018 13:18

I cleaned and checked the plunger that unscrews that is behind the n/s/f wheel

Yorkshire GOC 25th November 2018 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullhead (Post 2689457)
Hi all, I need some help if possible.

Car passed mot last month, but, yesterday I found out my reversing lights were not working.

I have just followed the how to in tech section, and after cleaning I tried the button manually and they worked fine, so I thought great, job done.

Put wheel back on and started engine with my wife behind saying that my lights were still not working when gears were put in reverse.

Now I need help as to what else could be wrong.

Thanks in advance to all

paul

Well the first to consider is a new reversing switch and if not that what about the fuse ?

sewerman 25th November 2018 17:18

First thing I'd do is take off the plug and bridge the wires to confirm it is the switch, if it is get a replacement ive had a couple that work when pressed by hand but have worn so the gearbox plunger doesn't have enough throw to always connect

Comfortably Numb 25th November 2018 20:35

I have just put a post on Technical, just wondering if I need a special spanner (ie cranked open ring spanner) to fit around the plastic section to get onto the hex without getting stuck between the gearbox webs? I've ordered a new switch anyway as I found one for <£8.

Mark190 26th November 2018 20:35

I used a 19mm deep socket piece of cake.

Comfortably Numb 26th November 2018 21:11

Strange, 19mm ring was too big, - wouldn't grip at all! Do they make this with different sized hex? I think mine is 17mm. I'll see what the new one is, when it arrives.