The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Had to replace my father in laws lower mount today. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=270816)

Mickyboy 21st July 2017 18:50

Had to replace my father in laws lower mount today.

My father in law came up today, while I was planning on having a day off with the kids and said could I check all his undertray was bolted on correctly as he thought a speed hump might have clipped it :mad:

Anyway I jacked it up and checked it and thought I'd replace a couple of missing screws, so while at it I'll remove it and clean it.... Then once removed I thought I'll check the lower mount, with the mount fitted it looked fine but I got the inspection lamp on it and thought I might remove it and check it...

Oh what a surprise:eek:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...24adf0fe37.jpg
As you can see it looks ok, but experience tells me to look further

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...24adf4e646.jpg
And as you can see this mount was past its best, as soon as I put a screwdriver in it and pulled the splits became obvious.
So new mount fitted and undertray done and clean.

Morale of this long winded story, a quiet day off at home with your tools won't last long!!,but you might just achieve something good;)

AND NEVER PRESSUME YOUR LOWER MOUNT IS OK FROM JUST LOOKING.

Mick

Arctic 21st July 2017 22:53

Hi Mick
I have seen loads of lower engine mounts like that, you can see the dark line even before you remove, and once you do that is what you see in your photo, First choice is always an original mount with the letter T stamped on it for a diesel, P for 2.0 2.5 Petrol, and M for the 1.8 &1.8T

Next choice would be Power flex, then Jag mount with a bit of modification, only reason I am putting Jag mount as third choice is I have only just started using them and up to now they look very robust and do the job really good, and maybe in very near future I can say on par with the original mount ;)

howardf 22nd July 2017 05:50

I used a second hand mondeo mount with the mod that Arctic mentioned a couple of years ago....still going strong.

Mickyboy 22nd July 2017 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic (Post 2520731)
Hi Mick
I have seen loads of lower engine mounts like that, you can see the dark line even before you remove, and once you do that is what you see in your photo, First choice is always an original mount with the letter T stamped on it for a diesel, P for 2.0 2.5 Petrol, and M for the 1.8 &1.8T

Next choice would be Power flex, then Jag mount with a bit of modification, only reason I am putting Jag mount as third choice is I have only just started using them and up to now they look very robust and do the job really good, and maybe in very near future I can say on par with the original mount ;)

I would always go with the OEM arm mate, as I've got a yellow power flex on my ZT CDTI manual and it's not that good, feels to stiff, shame because I had a early red powerflex on my ZT CDTI AUTO and it was ok.
Never considered the Jag mount or even considered it until now.
Mick

EastPete 22nd July 2017 17:49

Quote:

Hi Mick
First choice is always an original mount with the letter T stamped on it for a diesel, P for 2.0 2.5 Petrol, and M for the 1.8 &1.8T

;)

Steve

I recently ordered a lower mount for the diesel from Rimmers- arrived in a box with the correct part number (KKH101402), but it had an 'M' stamped on it, not 'T'. Have they sent the wrong one ??

Cheers

Pete

Mickyboy 22nd July 2017 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastPete (Post 2520988)
Steve

I recently ordered a lower mount for the diesel from Rimmers- arrived in a box with the correct part number (KKH101402), but it had an 'M' stamped on it, not 'T'. Have they sent the wrong one ??

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,
M is for the 1.8 or 1.8T version, the diesel should have T stamped on it, I had a new one in my garage that I fitted and it was for the CDT/CDTI I'd had it for about 18months.
Looks like you have the wrong one for a diesel. If you look on rimmers you should see T stamped on it in their picture
Mick

EastPete 22nd July 2017 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickyboy (Post 2520993)
Hi Pete,
M is for the 1.8 or 1.8T version, the diesel should have T stamped on it, I had a new one in my garage that I fitted and it was for the CDT/CDTI I'd had it for about 18months.
Looks like you have the wrong one for a diesel. If you look on rimmers you should see T stamped on it in their picture
Mick

Thanks Mick - you are right - the picture on their website shows a 'T', but I definitely have an 'M' on the one they sent me -in a box with the right part number for the diesel. I think I'll be phoning them on Monday and returning the item ! Who can we trust when it comes to parts suppliers these days ??

Pete

Mickyboy 22nd July 2017 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastPete (Post 2521028)
Thanks Mick - you are right - the picture on their website shows a 'T', but I definitely have an 'M' on the one they sent me -in a box with the right part number for the diesel. I think I'll be phoning them on Monday and returning the item ! Who can we trust when it comes to parts suppliers these days ??

Pete

Hi Pete,
Well I'd like to think that I am trustworthy but I don't supply new items:sad3:
Sorry to hear they seem to have supplied the wrong item, and it's not the first time I've had people say that to me about them, unfortunately mistakes happen that's why I always make sure when I supply a part it's correct, as I wouldn't like to see somebody fit something then have to remove it again.

At least in your case Pete I was able to identify that rimmers have probably supplied the wrong part and saved you a job of fitting it
Mick :}

Sprinter 23rd July 2017 00:03

Quote:

Hi Mick
I have seen loads of lower engine mounts like that, you can see the dark line even before you remove, and once you do that is what you see in your photo...,

I saw one exactly like that today at the Nano meet. You were holding it at the time. :D

Arctic 23rd July 2017 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprinter (Post 2521128)
I saw one exactly like that today at the Nano meet. You were holding it at the time. :D

:} Paul you did indeed, what a faf fitting it :D give be an hard standing and some ramps any day are you at the meet today ? Arctic