The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Slightly worn? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=301118)

admiralalcatraz 27th November 2019 16:00

Slightly worn?

First, I know it isn't a 75/ZT, but thought it interesting none the less. My job today was replacing a failed timing chain on a 2001 2.2 Vauxhall Astra. Removed the rocker cover for inspection and found a few very knackered cam lobes..... They had complained about a lack of power before the chain went 🤦🏾NAUGHTY WORD-♂️https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ecac67ca6f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...fcacedc12d.jpg

Sent from my MAX 2 using Tapatalk

bl52krz 27th November 2019 16:18

Looks as though that had regular oil changes....................with the occasional handful of sand just to bulk it up. Or was it a chocolate cam?.

admiralalcatraz 27th November 2019 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2778361)
Looks as though that had regular oil changes....................with the occasional handful of sand just to bulk it up. Or was it a chocolate cam?.

That's what I thought, I thought it had been run low on oil but there isn't much heat stress on the lobes. But the sump was like a tar pit.

Number 6 27th November 2019 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by admiralalcatraz (Post 2778363)
That's what I thought, I thought it had been run low on oil but there isn't much heat stress on the lobes. But the sump was like a tar pit.

And people slate the K series;)

roverbarmy 27th November 2019 17:44

Is that the one with the dodgy seal on the oil pickup that's been giving the Insignias a bad name? Seems to be worse on cold days when the seal contracts and the pump pulls air instead of oil.:shrug:On the Insignias it pops up a fault code/light.;) Often happens intermittently until something runs dry and fails.

admiralalcatraz 27th November 2019 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2778376)
Is that the one with the dodgy seal on the oil pickup that's been giving the Insignias a bad name? Seems to be worse on cold days when the seal contracts and the pump pulls air instead of oil.:shrug:On the Insignias it pops up a fault code/light.;) Often happens intermittently until something runs dry and fails.

I arent sure to be honest whether it is the same as a Insignia, this is a 2001 2.2 Z22SE Petrol. I found one of the chain guides in various pieces in the timing cover and the sump.

Sheraton 27th November 2019 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2778376)

I've been driving a 2019 Grandland X (had to take over driving duties for my Mother - Using her Car) I've been praising the wee 1.2 turbo engine - around 130 hp - I still prefer my K-Series ;)

this week i've had a couple of intermittent Oil Warnings displayed on start-up - Low Pressure Warning and Low Oil Level Warning - these appeared at different times and both cleared after restarting the Car - Oil level is fine - I wonder if this could be something similar as you mention r.e the insignia affecting this Engine too :shrug:

Don't mention the Seats :getmecoat:

Paul.

SCP440 27th November 2019 20:56

Part of the problem could be that the service book has been stamped but was the service was actually done? I know of some instances on cars that do low annual mileage that the book has been stamped but the garage and in some cases the main dealer has not even checked the oil level. :eek:

SD1too 28th November 2019 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP440 (Post 2778418)
I know of some instances on cars that do low annual mileage that the book has been stamped but the garage and in some cases the main dealer has not even checked the oil level. :eek:

Surely not Steve. It is insisted by some well-known members of this forum that such a suggestion amounts to blasphemy! ;)

Simon

KWIL 28th November 2019 08:56

Yes Simon, that happened to me many, many years ago on same make of car.

Swore blind they had done the job but could not account for the fact that the black paint on the drain plug was still intact, as was the paint on the rocker cover cork washer which they had "replaced" per the Invoice!!!!

The real give away was that the oil level was exactly the same as when I had left it there earlier that day and the car still parked exactly where I had left it.