The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Missing IPK (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305167)

bsafly 26th May 2020 14:16

Missing IPK

Hello, hope everyone is staying safe and avoiding the C bug.
Had to go to the mother-in-laws this morning, decided to take the 75 as I haven't used it since I clayed and polished the ZT-T.
The car started perfectly, however i noticed the IPK screen was totally blank, tried getting the screen up using the stalk switch, it lights up dull yellow, but will not disply on any of the functions.
Tried turning off, locking, unlocking and restarting a couple of times, still no display.
The display was working fine last time I used the car, anyone have any ideas?
Car is a 2003 75 connoisseur SE tourer CDTI .
Thanks in advance, Paul.

Rick-sta 26th May 2020 16:03

Common issue. cured with a battery reset ;)

bsafly 26th May 2020 16:16

Thanks Rick-sta, i will go and do that straight after my tea and see what happens.
Many thanks, Paul.

bsafly 26th May 2020 19:30

Tried a battery reset, still no display.
Carried out battery reset again, still no joy.
The screen lights up dull yellow with ignition on, and turns dull red with doors etc. open - but no display at all. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, Paul.

mh007 26th May 2020 19:37

How long did you leave the battery disconnected for?
It won't work if you just disconnect & reconnect.

Rick-sta 26th May 2020 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsafly (Post 2814803)
Tried a battery reset, still no display.
Carried out battery reset again, still no joy.
The screen lights up dull yellow with ignition on, and turns dull red with doors etc. open - but no display at all. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance, Paul.

ah since it's lighting up but very dim you may have the issue where the IPK goes very dim due to heat. Is it very hot in your car at the moment? I've come across this issue quite a few times but no idea why it happens, but for some reason heat causes the IPK screen to go very dim to the point you can't read it at all anymore.

bsafly 26th May 2020 19:58

Battery was disconnected for a timed 5 minutes before reconnection each time, timing started after earth lead removed and reconnected after timing had finished.
Whilst I was there I wiped and reapplied Vaselene to the battery terminals and posts,tightened correctly and checked secuirty.
Checked the car afterwards and as far as I can tell everything else is working correctly.
Thanks in advance, Paul.

bsafly 26th May 2020 21:23

1 Attachment(s)
Just been out to the car and checked the display to see if it was heat related, still no display and it's quite cool outside now.
Took a picture of the display (key in accessory position), looks brighter now it is dusk, but can barely see the illumination in daylight.
Many thanks, Paul.

mh007 26th May 2020 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsafly (Post 2814814)
Battery was disconnected for a timed 5 minutes before reconnection each time, timing started after earth lead removed and reconnected after timing had finished.
Whilst I was there I wiped and reapplied Vaselene to the battery terminals and posts,tightened correctly and checked secuirty.
Checked the car afterwards and as far as I can tell everything else is working correctly.
Thanks in advance, Paul.

I would disconnect for a good hour or two as 5 minutes is nowhere near long enough.

marinabrian 27th May 2020 07:50

Instantaneous disconnection of the power to the IPK is sufficient to cure the common issues such as odometer remaining illuminated, however looking at the picture of the message centre display, I'd be inclined to suggest the display driver in the ribbon is defective.

It's very rare, I've encountered it only twice, but in both cases it was required to change the display, incidentally both screens were of the blue variant rather than the green ones.

Brian :D