The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Powerfold Mirror Swap Question. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290519)

Abott10 26th November 2018 17:22

Powerfold Mirror Swap Question.

My now little used ZT 1.8T Saloon has some nice features which are useful. Heated Front Seats, TV Screen and Powerfold Door Mirrors. Howevr not the more useful Tourer loadspace.

Little used now that I have at last got my ZT-T with the MG6 engine transplant running as I like it. The one thing I really miss from the saloon are those convenient Power Fold Mirrors.

So how easy or difficult is it to transfer the Mirrors, the Switch Pack and the Sub-Loom across the two cars? Plus would any of that involve T4 mullarkey.

Maybe far more trouble and work than it's worth. Opinions and advice welcome.

rrobson 26th November 2018 17:42

I once upon a time extracted the entire loom from a 75 and it was a huge job. You need the entire dash out, all the plastic trim and access to all the plugs, not to mention a very concise wiring diagram. If your prepared to retrieve the whole loom, and install it into your car then prepare for a time consuming job.
You missed out not long since because I sold a set with the entire loom with pins!

BigRuss 26th November 2018 19:11

To check if the wiring is there in the car take out the grommet from the A Pillar carrying the wiring for the doors.
On the car side of the connector if there is a plain orange and an orange and red stripe wire then you have the wiring for the powerfold mirrors.
Don't worry if it's missing both wires just go across to the opposite side connector. So adding them is fairly simple.

Swap both door looms over and the mirrors and switchpack, job done ;)

Russ

hogweed 26th November 2018 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRuss (Post 2689809)
Swap both door looms over and the mirrors and switchpack, job done ;)

Easy for people like Russ John – and maybe for you too. I found it one of those jobs I wished I’d never started. Some people are apparently dextrous enough to do it with the doors in situ – I had to take them off. Getting the wires through the big sort of rubber grommet thingies which transfer the loom from the door to the main bodywork, and round a sharp bend, was a real giggle too.

Apart from that, at the end of the day it’s only really a matter of getting two wires from one side of the car to the other… they don’t even have to be orange :D

PS when you're salvaging the powerfolds, from memory they use different gaskets, and possibly a couple of different fixing bolts, so you’ll want to retain them too.

stocktake 26th November 2018 20:33

Done in a day start to finish at a nano meet with all the advice/help you could possibly require ;)

stocktake 27th November 2018 09:14

you would only need to bring with you the mirrors switch pack and if you could the two front door looms. But your reply did make me smile :)