The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ‘03 190 started to lose/use coolant (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300808)

Robti 14th November 2019 08:12

‘03 190 started to lose/use coolant

Hi over the last couple of months I have had to top up my coolant weekly by a couple of tablespoons. Nothing to see leaking and no stains in the Vee. I thought at the start it might be the cap but no stains around it. So any where else to look ?
Thanks

SideValve 14th November 2019 18:28

I fixed my mystery leak recently.
The top hose has a protective sleeve where it passes over the g'box & under the airbox. It had a small split under the sleeve. Only spotted it by shining a torch round the engine while it was hot and running at night - that way you get to see the faintest bit of steam :¬)

COLVERT 14th November 2019 18:43

Search for the stain that the coolant leaves as it evaporates.

If you can't find any stains it could be the start of head gasket failure.--:eek:

Robti 14th November 2019 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2775744)
Search for the stain that the coolant leaves as it evaporates.

If you can't find any stains it could be the start of head gasket failure.--:eek:

:eek::getmecoat:

Yorkshire GOC 14th November 2019 19:06

I always understood that HGF on the V6/190 was uncommon - have lost count of the number of posts about coolant loss on the V6 which usually concludes O ring failure on the stat/hoses or failure to properly follow MGR coolant refill process:shrug: So would not panic yet.

trikey 14th November 2019 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC (Post 2775752)
I always understood that HGF on the V6/190 was uncommon

It is very uncommon Martin.

Robti 15th November 2019 06:28

Will keep an eye on it and only doing a <4 miles a day atm visiting my mother, thanks for the replies ����

Simondi 15th November 2019 06:31

Could also be the lower coolant pipe that runs across the front of the engine. Mine had started leaking there. It's made of steel so ended up rusting - all good now

Robti 15th November 2019 06:45

Going to pop the air filter housing off and run it up to temp and have a look and see if anything pops out for me to see

thanos.m 15th November 2019 13:08

I had a mysterious coolant loss as well having to top up frequently I could not see anything leaking anywhere I thought the car was using coolant but one day I spotted what looked like dried coolant around the expansion tank with a faint sense of moisture around the cap so I popped I new cap on haven't lost any coolant in 2 weeks so far so I reckon it was just a failing radiator cap my p38 range rover which uses the same cap had also a mysterious coolant loss which was also attributed to a failing cap so might worth having a look edit: in my range rover you could also hear a very faint hissing if you put your ear close to the cap when switching off the engine after a nice long run