The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Discount MG Rover Spares - DMGRS's Shop (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Do you have Hi-Line Nav? Then you'll want to read this! BM24 upgrade and repair info. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=164311)

DMGRS 11th November 2013 15:44

Do you have Hi-Line Nav? Then you'll want to read this! BM24 upgrade and repair info.

As a lot of HiLine Nav owners know, the standard system is very useful however lacks audio output power. The reason being the Philips tuner/amp module uses a very small TDA7375 amplifier IC - the maximum output of this amplifier is 4x 7w @ 10% THD (RMS will be significantly lower).

Here's the standard amp IC:
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...a.jpg~original

The easiest upgrade to our systems is to fit the rather excellent Becker BM24 unit. This uses twin amplifier ICs to deliver 4x 47w @ 10% THD - a much higher output. It's not about pure power, however - the BM24 provides much more bass response thanks to it's higher power capacity. You really can tell the difference!

Finally, a great feature (and a good reason to upgrade) is also the twin-tuners built into the BM24 - you get a continuously updating list of stations listed below the one you're currently listening to. Very handy as you can flick through the list with the control knob on the head unit, and press to select a station.

Upgrading to a BM24 is very simple - you'll need to go into the spare wheel well, locate the Philips unit (on the right-hand side when looking into the boot) and remove it. The BM24 uses the same connectors as the Philips unit - so it really is plug and play.

The only issue with the BM24 is the solder joints linking the power ICs to the main PCB fracture with vibration and age, meaning your unit may cut in and out (mine took about 5 minutes to power on, and then worked fine).

Fixing this is simple - I've written a guide for doing this below.

First, remove all Torx bolts visible on the outside of the unit, and remove the lid.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6.jpg~original

Next, remove the PCB from the metal casing:
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...e.jpg~original

Finally, reflow the joints circled below. They appear to be high-temperature solder - you'll need to get a fair bit of heat into them! Once you have the joint molten, add a little more solder to keep the joint firm.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6.jpg~original

Re-assemble the unit and you're done! It should all work perfectly. :)

MGRick 11th November 2013 15:51

Would the bm24 make a difference in audio if you have the hk amp fitted ?

DMGRS 11th November 2013 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGRick (Post 1479491)
Would the bm24 make a difference in audio if you have the hk amp fitted ?

The HK uses speaker-level inputs, so I can't imagine it making that much of a difference. I'd find a member who has one at a meet to try a swap - I have noticed more bass presence with the BM24 but that may not apply when using the HK amp.

scoubix 11th November 2013 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMGRS (Post 1479494)
The HK uses speaker-level inputs, so I can't imagine it making that much of a difference. I'd find a member who has one at a meet to try a swap - I have noticed more bass presence with the BM24 but that may not apply when using the HK amp.

Actually it might very well make a difference since, as you said so yourself, the HK amp uses speaker outputs from the radio module, not line-level outputs which do not exist. Therefore, the quality of the sound at the output of the radio module, be it the OEM one or a BM24, makes a difference in the final sound quality once amplified by the HK. I don't own a HK setup myself but considering the vast difference in sound quality from the OEM module to the BM24 one, this should result in better sound quality when paired with the HK.

DMGRS 11th November 2013 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoubix (Post 1479541)
Actually it might very well make a difference since, as you said so yourself, the HK amp uses speaker outputs from the radio module, not line-level outputs which do not exist. Therefore, the quality of the sound at the output of the radio module, be it the OEM one or a BM24, makes a difference in the final sound quality once amplified by the HK. I don't own a HK setup myself but considering the vast difference in sound quality from the OEM module to the BM24 one, this should result in better sound quality when paired with the HK.

I guess it depends on how the HK amp 'loads' the input - if it 'pretends' to be a 4 ohm speaker then the sound quality will indeed benefit. If it's 'unweighted' the Philips unit may well be adequate, as there will be very little load presented.

Worth a try, as the BM24 is certainly a very good improvement.

Bolin 11th November 2013 17:26

Thanks for the guide. One question - I can solder wires together OK, so will I be able to solder the joints you mention without having done hardly any soldering on a PCB before (can't remember when I last did, maybe done it once or twice before) or do I need to be fairly experienced at soldering before attempting this? i.e. is it easy to mess up?

P.S. I went from Symphony non-HK to Highline BM24 with HK and it's miles better - even I could tell that despite knowing nothing about car audio!

Ross R75 11th November 2013 19:11

Great post Matty, thanks. I just picked a BM24 up on EBay for £65. A fairly decent price I think :)

DMGRS 12th November 2013 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolin (Post 1479572)
Thanks for the guide. One question - I can solder wires together OK, so will I be able to solder the joints you mention without having done hardly any soldering on a PCB before (can't remember when I last did, maybe done it once or twice before) or do I need to be fairly experienced at soldering before attempting this? i.e. is it easy to mess up?

P.S. I went from Symphony non-HK to Highline BM24 with HK and it's miles better - even I could tell that despite knowing nothing about car audio!

It's really easy, just make sure you have a high-powered iron (30w+) as the solder is a right pain to melt. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross R75 (Post 1479718)
Great post Matty, thanks. I just picked a BM24 up on EBay for £65. A fairly decent price I think :)

Wow, you beat mine at £70! Well done, a great price.

bazza004 12th February 2016 15:26

I have BM24 just installed,and its live,screen on but wont tune-in any channels,could the cracking joints be responsible ?

Heddy 12th February 2016 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross R75 (Post 1479718)

And it's still working just fine, especially with the upgraded speakers.