The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Boat relocating (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=325564)

coolcat 14th September 2023 07:01

Boat relocating

Hi all,

The last two years have been difficult for us using our boat.
I'm sure you guys know we have our boat moored in Acle on the Norfolk Broads.
I used to have a weekly contract/client for photography up there which meant visiting the boat/staying on board every week.
After Covid and the lockdown the contract wasn't renewed in 2022 so the only reason to go up was for boating. This has become awkward as Ros works on a Saturday and we have an elderly cat that is on medication and can't be left for any length of time.

We have taken the decision with our change in circumstances to relocate our boat nearer to home where we will get more use out of her.
The drive from home to Acle is approx 2 hours there and the same back, just popping up for a quick visit isn't really an option, especially as the days grow shorter.

We have decided to bring Lady Emma to Titchmarsh Marina, Walton on the Naze, Essex which is only 15 minutes drive from home.

We have given our notice to quit at our current moorings and we are aiming for a mid October departure.

In the meanwhile we have booked Lady Emma in for both engines to be fully serviced, updated our chart plotter maps, had lifejackets regassed/serviced, checked flares are in date and properly stored, removed stuff not needed for the sea passage and lastly employed an RYA instructor to come along for an assisted passage on the sea going leg of the journey.

We will have about a two hour river cruise from Acle to Great Yarmouth and will be picking up our 'skipper' from Gt Yarmouth yacht station for the sea run to Walton on the Naze.
All this has to be timed right so we have enough air draft/ clearance to pass under three bridges at Great Yarmouth. So ideally we will be leaving Acle at first light to arrive in Yarmouth at Low Water in the morning. Then we will be leaving Yarmouth with the water flooding back out and in our favour and arrive at Walton nearer to high tide which is what we need to get in to the shallow waters approaching Titchmarsh Marina.

We will be looking to cruise at 15knots to give a comfortable passage and reasonable fuel economy. Great Yarmouth to Walton on the Naze will take about 4-5 hours.

I'm not familiar with these waters and a novice at Sea which is why we are emptying an experienced helm for the passage. There are many sandbanks, lobster pots/fishing grounds and the shipping lanes of the Ports of Felixstowe and Harwich to navigate.

Hopefully this will be a bit of an adventure and also give me some good experience on these waters as an added bonus.

Once we have relocated there will be a whole new area open for us to explore.
We will be on the North Sea at the marina but there are many inland waterways reachable from our location as well.

Ro won't be crewing with us on this journey, my Dad will hopefully be coming along and we have enlisted one other crew member......None other than Zed The Ted:}

I'll be up at the boat next week getting stuff ready and putting about 200 litres of fuel on board. If the tides are favourable and I can get under those bridges at Yarmouth. I shall take Lady Emma over Breydon water where there are no speed restrictions and I can check everything is working as it should at higher speeds.
A sort of shakedown run before the big day.

I will keep this thread updated and hopefully lots of photos and videos will be added for anyone interested :}

planenut 14th September 2023 07:49

Interesting post, I wish you all well.

Teflon 14th September 2023 08:03

Sounds like a real adventure! Looking forward to seeing the photos and videos :}. Best of luck,

Cliff

Gate Keeper 14th September 2023 10:07

Good morning Jeff

Thank you for the update and plan.

Jessica has checked out your final destination on google maps and we see how close you will be to your home. That’s lovely for Ros, the cats and work.

What will be your challenges in making the transition over from Acle?

Saying goodbye to your friends…..

On the voyage to Walton you will have shipping, tidal times, distance, navigation and weather to contend with?

You have a powerful cruiser with those twin engines and big tanks, how exciting.

Do keep us posted with photos and videos.

coolcat 16th September 2023 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2978583)
Interesting post, I wish you all well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 2978584)
Sounds like a real adventure! Looking forward to seeing the photos and videos :}. Best of luck,

Cliff

Cheers Fred and Cliff,

I'll be keeping this thread updated before, during and after the relocation:}

coolcat 16th September 2023 06:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gate Keeper (Post 2978596)
Good morning Jeff

Thank you for the update and plan.

Jessica has checked out your final destination on google maps and we see how close you will be to your home. That’s lovely for Ros, the cats and work.

What will be your challenges in making the transition over from Acle?

Saying goodbye to your friends…..

On the voyage to Walton you will have shipping, tidal times, distance, navigation and weather to contend with?

You have a powerful cruiser with those twin engines and big tanks, how exciting.

Do keep us posted with photos and videos.

Cheers Phil & Jessica.

We will indeed be negotiating, tides, bridges (At Yarmouth) sand banks, Lobster pots, shipping lanes etc. Lady Emma has an auto helm (autopilot) linked to her chart plotter but we will still be keeping our eyes on the err 'road ahead' so to speak.

This is a snapshot of our route. Ignore the times as that was the suggestion on the day the info was submitted...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...29560896_h.jpgGt Yarmouth to Titchmarsh Marina by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr

This is the website of Titchmarsh Marina...

https://www.titchmarshmarina.co.uk

edwardmk 16th September 2023 17:31

I'd wish for the wind to always be at your back, but with those two engines, not so relevant:D Hope you have a most enjoyable and safe passage to the new location. Sounds like a good plan:}

boater 16th September 2023 17:55

Best wishes, Jeff for good weather and an uneventful passage to your new marina. I will look forward to seeing some pictures of the trip and new location.

Howard

Georgies Dad 17th September 2023 07:37

Do this mean I can now get rid of my wet weather gear:getmecoat::getmecoat:

I hope the good people at Walton have been informed of the pending weather changes?:eek::eek:

trikey 17th September 2023 17:19

The acle bridge Inn will miss you!

Safe trip down Jeff...

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk