The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cubby box catch - flips open! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297189)

richw 4th July 2019 19:48

Cubby box catch - flips open!

Hi all,

I have managed to acquire a 75. Jolly nice it is too, but there are one or two interior niggles. The biggest is that the cubby box (in between the front seats) will start to open with the lightest touch, which tends to happen as I am driving. No sooner do I close it, then it pops up again!

Looking at it, I can't quite tell how it is supposed to stay closed. Do I need to bend something, or replace something? I don't have the luxury of another 75 to compare!

Cheers,
Richard.

suzublu 4th July 2019 20:08

Under the front lip of the lid is a lever you press to open. It has a hook on the end which clips into a hole underneath.
https://i.imgur.com/g7vFulCl.jpg

richw 5th July 2019 19:50

Hmm, mine doesn't stay down. It lifts up about an inch on its own. I wonder if I need to somehow bend that catch. Doesn't look obvious to me, what it is supposed to catch on. I bet I break it!

roverbarmy 6th July 2019 09:46

You're supposed to operate the catch to open. If you don't (often happens with drivers who don't know how!) it breaks or sprains the catch.:shrug:

richw 6th July 2019 20:54

Ah. Mine opens up about in inch with the slightest contact. I didn't even realise that there was a button to release it!

I guess the plastic catch (right angled bit in picture above) is ruined? I cannot see much at the other end, where it would fit over, so I assume that side would be OK.

Anyone know if the catch can be replaced? And where I might find one?

clf 6th July 2019 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by richw (Post 2746038)
Ah. Mine opens up about in inch with the slightest contact. I didn't even realise that there was a button to release it!

I guess the plastic catch (right angled bit in picture above) is ruined? I cannot see much at the other end, where it would fit over, so I assume that side would be OK.

Mine does this too. I am convinced though that the hinge/brackets are slightly twisted from being leaned on. If I force it forward a little, it allows the catch to errrm catch a bit more effectively. This works for a while then happens again, but I lean on it a lot.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

suzublu 7th July 2019 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by richw (Post 2746038)

If the catch is broken, easier to fit another lid:cool: See if you can get a real leather one, looks much better:cool::}

KWIL 7th July 2019 10:08

Richw,

Try Mickyboy, trader on here.

richw 7th July 2019 20:58

Yeah, I have had another look, and tried bending the catch, but no joy.

A new lid looks easy, but just to be a pain in the bum, mine is Neptune Blue leather!

I will look up mickyboy, thanks.

I guess I could try bodging something with a magnet or some Velcro, but that would probably be a mess...

suzublu 7th July 2019 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by richw (Post 2746250)
Yeah, I have had another look, and tried bending the catch, but no joy.

A new lid looks easy, but just to be a pain in the bum, mine is Neptune Blue leather!

I will look up mickyboy, thanks.

I guess I could try bodging something with a magnet or some Velcro, but that would probably be a mess...

You can take the top leather part off & fit it to a working bottom part;):cool:
Where are you? I could take a look