The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   KV6 Crank sensor (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299952)

nperf 14th October 2019 13:44

KV6 Crank sensor

Hello
Total cut out on the move.
2000 model year 75 KV6.
RAC chap and my garage say it is the 'Crankshaft Sensor'
Rimmer's supply what seems to be the sensor + a Connector Harness!
It does not work :-(
Does anyone have a second hand, correct sensor or, if not a replacement?
It seems crazy that such a beautiful car should be consigned to scrap for the lack of such a simple spare..... Help please
....John Perfect

SD1too 14th October 2019 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by nperf (Post 2768573)
RAC chap and my garage say it is the 'Crankshaft Sensor' ... Rimmer's supply what seems to be the sensor + a Connector Harness! It does not work.

John,

If I were you I would verify that diagnosis yourself by a simple electrical measurement. I have known RAC/AA chaps to be incorrect more than once.

Lift the rear seat cushion and remove the fuel pump cover on the offside. Place your voltmeter probes across the white/purple and black wires.
With the starter motor operating, do you see battery voltage and is the pump working? If not, there's a fault in the crankshaft sensor circuit but check the connector and wiring first.

Simon

T-Cut 14th October 2019 16:51

If the engine turns over on the starter, check whether the rev counter responds on cranking. The needle should clearly show blips even if the engine won't start. If the rev counter seems dead, the crank sensor is suspect. If the rev counter does respond, it's something else.

TC

nperf 16th October 2019 21:50

Crank Sensor 2000 kv6

Hello guys
Thanks for the tips
all checks out that it IS the sensor.
The Garage supplies the wrong item it seems.
saying that it is no longer available.
It is a one piece unit, wire and sensor,that is probably
faulty.
I understand that a two piece unit from Rimmers may fit.
Can anyone confirm?
Many thanks for your help.
....Nick

COLVERT 16th October 2019 21:57

The two listed sensors, genuine and aftermarket, are OK.--( Rimmers. )

Rich in Vancouver 17th October 2019 00:38

The new version of the sensor has a specific link lead so both parts are needed.
A couple of years ago I bought a replacement sensor and link lead and the link lead turned out to be DOA.
That was disappointing as it was the first car part (First anything actually) I had bought that had a "Made in Egypt" label on it. :shrug:

nperf 21st October 2019 18:47

All Fixed! Thankyou all.

Once the correct part/s were supplied, (NSC106100L) Sensor & (YSB114000) Harness link, all was well. Apparently the garage just looked up the older one piece assembly and was told it was NLA (Ri**ers)!
So that was the problem'
Thanks again ....Nick

SD1too 21st October 2019 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nperf (Post 2769063)
The Garage supplies the wrong item it seems.
saying that it is no longer available.

Surely not John. :shrug: They are, after all, the professionals whereas we are merely part time amateurs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nperf (Post 2770198)
Once the correct part/s were supplied .. all was well. Apparently the garage just looked up the older one piece assembly ... So that was the problem ..

Ah well, obviously we must forgive and forget because anyone can make a mistake. But what about the consequences?
Quote:

Originally Posted by nperf (Post 2768573)
It seems crazy that such a beautiful car should be consigned to scrap for the lack of such a simple spare.....

:eek: :duh: :getmecoat:

Simon