The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Drive shaft inner CV boot replacement. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309573)

patrolman pete 30th November 2020 14:30

Drive shaft inner CV boot replacement.

Left the Connie with a local garage for her MOT today and only one failure issue. It appears that the o/s driveshaft inner CV boot next to the support bearing has a hole in it and requires replacing. Anyone know if it's possible to replace the boot without having to pull the whole driveshaft out of the automatic gearbox as I don't want to lose any gearbox oil.

I was pleased with the results of the emissions for a 'dirty diesel' however
Plate limit 1.33 Actual 0.59 :D

trikey 30th November 2020 14:39

Going do be difficult on the car Pete, the only chance you have it to get one of those cv boots that can be stretched over the joint.

You will have to get it over the outer joint complete with boot on unless you remove the driveshaft and split it.

patrolman pete 30th November 2020 15:08

Thanks for the reply Andy. :bowdown: Barry from Houghton MOT centre did my test and quoted me £60 to do the job (Dave Johnson is booked up to 8 weeks in advance even for MOT's !) so I'll just let him crack on with it as he can do the job on Wednesday. Saves me rolling about on the ground in the dark after work !

COLVERT 30th November 2020 19:07

If the car is tilted as much as possible by lifting one side only, the drive shaft can be removed without any oil running out of the box.

Mike Noc 1st December 2020 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrolman pete (Post 2851292)
Thanks for the reply Andy. :bowdown: Barry from Houghton MOT centre did my test and quoted me £60 to do the job (Dave Johnson is booked up to 8 weeks in advance even for MOT's !) so I'll just let him crack on with it as he can do the job on Wednesday. Saves me rolling about on the ground in the dark after work !

Wise move Pete - even fitting the stretch boot they recommend removing the driveshaft. Just done two on a Citroen van, and they were hard work with them in the vice! :}

patrolman pete 1st December 2020 12:41

I believe it’s sometimes best to pick your battles ! 😁

cengar 1st December 2020 14:48

cv boot

There used to be a split boot you put it over the joint and then use the adhesive to seal it

patrolman pete 1st December 2020 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cengar (Post 2851511)
There used to be a split boot you put it over the joint and then use the adhesive to seal it

I think they nothing but a bodge to scrape through an MOT. I imagine the glue would soon give way due to the CV grease and it would open up worse than a normal split emptying all the grease from the joint. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do the job properly or in my case, take the cowards way out and get a garage to do it !:icon_lol:

chris75 1st December 2020 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrolman pete (Post 2851551)
I think they nothing but a bodge to scrape through an MOT.

Correct ; they were dreadful !

Alf Best 1st December 2020 20:30

Ahh stickyboots, nope the thing for ease is the Bailcast Duraboot ;)

First saw these used about 20 years ago at my friend's garage with a cone tool, boot turned inside out the cone offered up to the joint with a smear of grease covering the cone, then the boot slid over the top and into place.

Magic to see it being done first hand.