The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   IP Security Cam software? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=293937)

slovcan 15th March 2019 19:09

IP Security Cam software?

Hi folks,

Well, I have some IP (wifi) security cameras to install. I'm really not very computer clever, it seems. I cannot get the software that came with them to work at all. I can't even get it set up to "see" a camera. The software is called SearchTool.

So, is there a program/app that I can put on my laptop and phone to be able to set up these cameras, receive email alerts when the camera is triggered, view the video and talk to the intruder? This stuff should be fairly common these days, but I might be too thick to figure it out.

Thanks,
Glenn

cat 15th March 2019 19:28

I've tried an app called tinycam from Google play, there is a free version and a pay for version. Looks OK and I've got it to see a cheap ip camera I got ages ago from China, unfortunately I had to plug the camera into the router using a network lead because it wouldn't work over WiFi but I haven't bothered to figure it out yet. It may well work for you, you can try the free version anyway

slovcan 15th March 2019 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat (Post 2719335)
I've tried an app called tinycam from Google play, there is a free version and a pay for version. Looks OK and I've got it to see a cheap ip camera I got ages ago from China, unfortunately I had to plug the camera into the router using a network lead because it wouldn't work over WiFi but I haven't bothered to figure it out yet. It may well work for you, you can try the free version anyway

Thanks cat, I'll have a look at it.

Cheers,
Glenn

Wolds_lady_2006 17th March 2019 20:43

Testing your wifi camera for connectivity

Sorry for jumping in..

Make sure that you can ping your camera from a command prompt on your PC..

If you dont know the IP address of the camera, check your router logs to see what is connected.

If that doesnt help, using command prompt again, type ARP -a command.
Ping your network using a broadcast address, i.e. "ping 192.168.1.255". After that, perform "arp -a" to determine all the computing devices connected to the network.

On your wifi cam, you will see the MAC address on a label, just look for it in the tables that the commands above generate.

Then, just use a tool like IP Cam viewer (Google Store) to auto add the device and view/test.

Good luck

Debs

slovcan 18th March 2019 12:47

Update

OK, I have managed to get the first camera set up network-wise. Thank you for the suggestion. The setup has revealed a program problem. The camera is motion activated. The program is supposed to have a settings section for adjusting the motion detection zones to reduce false alarms. The company's video (the link they sent to me for setting everything up) shows that section in the left sidebar. On my program (the one they linked to) that section is NOT in the sidebar - or anywhere else. I'm waiting for a reply from them.

Cheers,
Glenn

slovcan 21st March 2019 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by slovcan (Post 2719989)
OK, I have managed to get the first camera set up network-wise. Thank you for the suggestion. The setup has revealed a program problem. The camera is motion activated. The program is supposed to have a settings section for adjusting the motion detection zones to reduce false alarms. The company's video (the link they sent to me for setting everything up) shows that section in the left sidebar. On my program (the one they linked to) that section is NOT in the sidebar - or anywhere else. I'm waiting for a reply from them.

Cheers,
Glenn

Well, the seller of the Szsinocam camera never did reply, so the camera has been returned. I will be buying a different brand.

I had a good look at the tinyCam Pro application. That looks like it will do everything I need. Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion Cat.

Cheers,
Glenn

cat 21st March 2019 21:55

Funny you mentioning Szsinocam because that's the make of camera I got and can't get to work wirelessly. It apparently needs Internet Explorer with outdated insecure ActiveX plug in enabled just to be able to log in to the cameras settings. Utter garbage, glad to hear you sent yours back, I didn't spend much time with mine initially and it was too late to return it when I discovered it was rubbish. Let us know if you have success with a different camera.
Colin.