The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The future of classic cars? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299363)

Mike Trident 20th September 2019 07:47

The future of classic cars?

Without wanting to get into an heated discussion over air pollution etc etc.

I just wonder if there will be a place for classic cars in the future. Will we be allowed to start their engines, let alone actually drive them, and that's if you can get hold of any fuel that they will run on.

oxfordblue75 20th September 2019 08:09

I suspect electric conversions will be the way forward

Lancpudn 20th September 2019 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxfordblue75 (Post 2763373)
I suspect electric conversions will be the way forward

They do an off the shelf EV "V8 crate motor" now!.:p:

https://i.imgur.com/EkBvIKpl.jpg

first-things-first 20th September 2019 10:17

Electrical sensors will be the issue

I think availability of electrical sensors will be the issue. Older classic cars did not have so many sensors - 90's cars have them everywhere - MAF, MAP, crank, ABS, idle stepper motor, etc.

I have a 90's FIAT and cannot get rear ABS sensors anywhere. Bosch stopped making them and that is that. Commonality with Alfa's of the period has not helped find one.

As the base is larger it maybe better for MG Rover as at least some of these parts are shared with BMW's.

RoyalBlue75 20th September 2019 10:19

Well, classics got an exemption from the London ULEZ, but not such good news for 'future classics' though .....

RobSun 20th September 2019 10:29

It was reported earlier this year that the CEO of Highways England has said that we will not be driving our classic cars in 30 years. It was said he has no authority so how can he say this, but he is in the know and is part of the consultations for future transport planning. He said fuel availability and pollution control will make them unusable and suggested that the EVs now on the road will be the classics of the future.

Electric power conversions will possibly be an alternative for some of the more exotic and valuable models, but the average run of the mill classics that do not have a great value will not be financially viable to convert. The 70s and 80s classics now worth £3000/£5000 that are kept on the road by enthusiasts on a budget, which is most, will never have the conversions done so most will end up scrapped or rusting away in a garage.

Sadly its the future I see for my Triumph Dolomite as the values will eventually fall as the deadline gets closer making it less likely. At least if I'm still around I will be in my late 90s so driving may be a past pleasure. Enjoy them whilst we can.

clf 20th September 2019 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by first-things-first (Post 2763384)
I think availability of electrical sensors will be the issue. Older classic cars did not have so many sensors - 90's cars have them everywhere - MAF, MAP, crank, ABS, idle stepper motor, etc.

I have a 90's FIAT and cannot get rear ABS sensors anywhere. Bosch stopped making them and that is that. Commonality with Alfa's of the period has not helped find one.

As the base is larger it maybe better for MG Rover as at least some of these parts are shared with BMW's.

There is always the option of converting it to something else, á la Cuba? LINK and another LINK. Necessity being the mother of invention, it will come down to how much the need is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobSun (Post 2763389)
It was reported earlier this year that the CEO of Highways England has said that we will not be driving our classic cars in 30 years. It was said he has no authority so how can he say this, but he is in the know and is part of the consultations for future transport planning. He said fuel availability and pollution control will make them unusable and suggested that the EVs now on the road will be the classics of the future.

Electric power conversions will possibly be an alternative for some of the more exotic and valuable models, but the average run of the mill classics that do not have a great value will not be financially viable to convert. The 70s and 80s classics now worth £3000/£5000 that are kept on the road by enthusiasts on a budget, which is most, will never have the conversions done so most will end up scrapped or rusting away in a garage.

Sadly its the future I see for my Triumph Dolomite as the values will eventually fall as the deadline gets closer making it less likely. At least if I'm still around I will be in my late 90s so driving may be a past pleasure. Enjoy them whilst we can.

HERE

I think that some still will be converted. The current (pun intended) principles would still apply. Scrap your current (not intended lol) car and buy a new electric car, and lose the conversion cost in depreciation, or buy a second hand one with someone else's problems (and possibly a failing battery too).

I have read that a target for phasing out fossil fuel sales in some countries
has been as early as 2050, which considering the ban on sales of new ICE cars is 2030 (earlier in some places!) is not that unrealistic really. That seems such a long time away, but when you consider the Mazda MX5 was released 30 years ago, it doesnt seem that long.

As with everything, there will be workarounds, and prices will become more affordable (not necessarily affordable lol, but more affordable). Especially as there will be an increase in scrapped electric cars around.

I personally, would love an electric car, not for the environment or running costs, but simply for the instant torque and smoothness.

Mike Trident 20th September 2019 12:26

I have driven a BMW I3, and was left gobsmacked.

I too think the average classics days are numbered.

Best buy a Prius now before they start to rocket in value lol

clf 20th September 2019 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2763408)
I have driven a BMW I3, and was left gobsmacked.

I too think the average classics days are numbered.

Best buy a Prius now before they start to rocket in value lol

In 20 or 30 years we will see classic electric cars. Honda Insight and if you could get find a GM EV1, I reckon will be the first of the 'modern' era of electric cars. I do think though that compatibility will be more of an issue - think along the lines of floppy disc drives, or aging computer software formats and drivers.

Battery powered cars will be taxed I reckon based on how they are constructed - (trying to avoid an environmental discussion lol) - in what gases they produce whilst charging or if they fail, involved in accidents etc. A bit like today with the misinformation of the past of how diesel was best etc. (but lets not go there)

Darcydog 20th September 2019 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2763414)
In 20 or 30 years we will see classic electric cars. Honda Insight and if you could get find a GM EV1, I reckon will be the first of the 'modern' era of electric cars. I do think though that compatibility will be more of an issue - think along the lines of floppy disc drives, or aging computer software formats and drivers.

Battery powered cars will be taxed I reckon based on how they are constructed - (trying to avoid an environmental discussion lol) - in what gases they produce whilst charging or if they fail, involved in accidents etc. A bit like today with the misinformation of the past of how diesel was best etc. (but lets not go there)

No please let’s NOT go there :D

Like all things technology only leaps forward when there is a need. Old adage now but remember the first cell phones? Size of a brick with batteries that came in a suitcase.

In a decade I expect there to have been a couple of technological leaps and the electric vehicles we will have by 2029 will be vast improvements over what we have now