The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Leisure battery - physical size (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297731)

uk_dave&gill 23rd July 2019 17:52

Leisure battery - physical size

Hi folks

Does anyone know much about caravan leisure batteries?

Ours needs replacing as on our last break the motormover kept cutting out after a few seconds. Also, the battery itself was getting hot so clearly there's a charging issue

Anyway, I'd like to get a new one, and the easiest way is online, but this means going to the van to get the old one out as reference. Storage is not too far away, but we're currently having a spate of roadworks bringing our area to gridlock, so I'd rather just get the new one ordered and save a trip!

Our van is a 2009 Lunar Clubman ES. I did think about contacting Lunar, but sadly they are currently in receivership and thus I don't think the phones and/or email are being manned :(

So, are all batteries pretty much the same physical size? I don't want to get one that won't fit in the orifice! Also, are the poles usually the same orientation, as again, would be loathe to get one and find the terminal leads didn't reach!

I can see that I'll doubtless have to pop to the 'van, but trying to avoid this if possible! ;)

Thanks for any wisdom that anyone can impart

reworht 23rd July 2019 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill (Post 2749855)
Hi folks

Does anyone know much about caravan leisure batteries?

Ours needs replacing as on our last break the motormover kept cutting out after a few seconds. Also, the battery itself was getting hot so clearly there's a charging issue

Anyway, I'd like to get a new one, and the easiest way is online, but this means going to the van to get the old one out as reference. Storage is not too far away, but we're currently having a spate of roadworks bringing our area to gridlock, so I'd rather just get the new one ordered and save a trip!

Our van is a 2009 Lunar Clubman ES. I did think about contacting Lunar, but sadly they are currently in receivership and thus I don't think the phones and/or email are being manned :(

So, are all batteries pretty much the same physical size? I don't want to get one that won't fit in the orifice! Also, are the poles usually the same orientation, as again, would be loathe to get one and find the terminal leads didn't reach!

I can see that I'll doubtless have to pop to the 'van, but trying to avoid this if possible! ;)

Thanks for any wisdom that anyone can impart

They come in a variety of sizes (and power ratings) - the only safe way is to measure what you've got and also the battery compartment to see what it would take as a maximum. If you're using a motor mover I would suggest the absolute minimum would be an 85 AH - 100 AH or more would be better.
I got a new one (my old one went down the same route as yours) from here back in April

oldcarguy 23rd July 2019 20:15

Terminal orientation isn't usually a problem as the cables are long enough to reach the battery whilst on the ground allowing you to connect terminals before fitting it in the box.

uk_dave&gill 23rd July 2019 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by reworht (Post 2749882)
They come in a variety of sizes (and power ratings) - the only safe way is to measure what you've got and also the battery compartment to see what it would take as a maximum. If you're using a motor mover I would suggest the absolute minimum would be an 85 AH - 100 AH or more would be better.
I got a new one (my old one went down the same route as yours) from here back in April

You're probably right - I'll need to brave the traffic (and the heat) and drag myself down to the storage! Thanks for the link :)

uk_dave&gill 23rd July 2019 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldcarguy (Post 2749898)
Terminal orientation isn't usually a problem as the cables are long enough to reach the battery whilst on the ground allowing you to connect terminals before fitting it in the box.

Good point! I think ours would just about be long enough, but usually do any re-attaching with the battery balanced on the edge of the locker!

AndyN01 24th July 2019 07:45

Try giving these folks a call.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/

My neighbour had a problem with a ride on lawnmower. All he had was the Make & Model number. They sorted it over the phone and exactly the right battery arrived two days later.

Good reviews on here too.

Andy.

uk_dave&gill 24th July 2019 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyN01 (Post 2749980)
Try giving these folks a call.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/

My neighbour had a problem with a ride on lawnmower. All he had was the Make & Model number. They sorted it over the phone and exactly the right battery arrived two days later.

Good reviews on here too.

Andy.

Cheers Andy!

HarryM1BYT 8th August 2019 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by reworht (Post 2749882)

A lot of the leisure battery failure are due to failing to look after them, over charging and /or not charging them at all.

Mine, in my drive, goes on charge once per month, for one day. I have wrecked batteries before, boiled dry, having them on permanent trickle charge. They just need to be topped up reasonably regularly.

ssizefive 10th August 2019 09:28

https://www.countybattery.co.uk/leis...van-batteries/

A friend of mine got a replacement from the above company recently - they delivered it very quickly.

Steve.