The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   insurance after write off (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291963)

macafee2 17th January 2019 11:09

insurance after write off

my sisters car is a write off. written off at scene so I think written off by breakdown not insurance. 3rd party uninsured.
she is being told that whats on/in the car is part of salvage and I'm suggesting she gets the battery which is new and radio which is decent back.

car value £200 to £300 which is her excess so she will get nowt.

am I right to think the radio and battery are still hers?

macafee2

Rick-sta 17th January 2019 11:24

The radio yes, when my dad had his written off years ago we removed the radio. Not sure about the battery, if it's new and you have a receipt for it you may be able to argue with the insurance to add that onto the pay out for the write off if they don't allow you to remove it.

Avulon 17th January 2019 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2703127)
my sisters car is a write off. written off at scene so I think written off by breakdown not insurance.

You see, I've already got issues with this. Go back and find out who has any right to declare the car a write-off. You'll find this will be whichever insurance co. is being claimed from. Given 3rd Party uninsured then I guess that would be her own insurance. She's also free to contest that assessment should she want to and reasonably believe that it's worth more than the costs that would be incurred by going the repair route (unlikely given what you've told us). Sometimes it's obvious - but only the insurance being claimed against can decide. They may base that on a vehicle assessment which they contract a 3rd party to carry out. Or may just go on a description of the damage.

That aside, given that it is a writeoff: What belongs to your sister and what to the insurer is a matter for negotiating with the insurance.

MSS 17th January 2019 13:13

Quote:

my sisters car is a write off. written off at scene so I think written off by breakdown not insurance. 3rd party uninsured.
she is being told that whats on/in the car is part of salvage and I'm suggesting she gets the battery which is new and radio which is decent back.

macafee2

The decision on writing off will have been taken by her insurance and not the recovery company, be it that the decision may be based on information from the recovery operative. From what you have said, the decision will not have required much information.

All fixed items will usually be part of the salvage provided they were standard fitment in the car. If the radio is an aftermarket unit, the insurers will expect you to replace it with the original if you wish to remove it.

So, technically, those two items belong to whoever owns the car in its current state.

But, as stated above, everything is open to negotiation.

bendrick 17th January 2019 14:01

Quote:

macafee2

Surely if the other unisured party is at fault ( if they are of course)

Your sister would be claiming off the Motor Insurance Bureau wouldn't she? Not off her own insurance company hence no excess charge.

https://www.mib.org.uk

Avulon 17th January 2019 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by bendrick (Post 2703158)
Surely if the other unisured party is at fault ( if they are of course)

Your sister would be claiming off the Motor Insurance Bureau wouldn't she? Not off her own insurance company hence no excess charge.

https://www.mib.org.uk

Most people with comprehensive insurance automatically claim from/thru their own insurance whenever they have a claim. Without considering that they could lessen the impact on future premiums by claiming directly against the other party or MIB. :shrug:

RoverP480 17th January 2019 15:30

It crossed my mind that there may be a claim on MIB after I read the previous post of the incident.

bendrick 17th January 2019 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2703181)
Most people with comprehensive insurance automatically claim from/thru their own insurance whenever they have a claim. Without considering that they could lessen the impact on future premiums by claiming directly against the other party or MIB. :shrug:

Odd isn't it if that is indeed the case?

bl52krz 17th January 2019 20:35

I think I would find out if the other driver was in work. If he was I would sue him.

Avulon 18th January 2019 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by bendrick (Post 2703194)
Odd isn't it if that is indeed the case?

An observation from reading all the accident/insurance claims posts on this forum over the years.