The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "Tyres on the Drive" (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290122)

Teflon 13th November 2018 10:34

"Tyres on the Drive"

Following on from this thread, the chap from Tyres on the Drive arrived this morning to sort out the tyre that had been fitted back to front.

I had been given a time slot of between 10 & 12 and around 10:15 the chap (Jason) called to say he would be with me in 10 minutes. Upon arrival, the first thing he did was apologise for the fact that I'd needed a return visit from them (even though he wasn't the errant fitter), before setting about refitting and rebalancing the tyre. He also double checked all the other tyres just to be on the safe side.

When re-fitting wheels, I always make a point of checking torque settings 3 times, just to be sure. This chap out did me by checking 4 times :}.

All in all, I'm very impressed with their service. Mistakes are easily made, especially when you have a customer chatting to you whilst your working (as I was with the original tyre fitter). What's important in my book is how those mistakes are dealt with. In my case, they called me on my mobile 30 minutes after I had e-mailed them with the complaint, arranged a date and time slot convenient to me, and sorted out the issue in a polite and prompt manner :}.

All in all, I'll definitely use Tyres on the Drive again :}.

Cliff

FLYING BANANA 13th November 2018 10:46

Saw the title and thought it was the name of your new video.

Proud owner 13th November 2018 12:14

I've used them myself and was very impressed with their service, price and professionalism. Will have no hesitation in using them again.

LeRich 13th November 2018 20:45

My experience with this company is sadly very different. They replaced all four tyres on my 75 in September and the fitter managed to damage each wheel in the process, no doubt because he rushed the job (less than 35 minutes from arriving to leaving...). Further to this, they took three attempts to correctly balance the wheels. Discussions with them to find a resolution are ongoing so I will say no more at this stage. Pleased to hear others have had better experiences.

Teflon 13th November 2018 21:32

Interesting. I suppose they're only as good as their operators and if you get a bad one you're going to have issues.

Hopefully they'll come up with a satisfactory resolution for you.

Cliff

Avulon 14th November 2018 18:08

How do you check the torque 4 times? The only way I know to do that would be to torque it then loosen and retorque. In which case you end up in the same place with the same torque - as determined by the torque wrench. Without the loosen step it's possible you'll either apply a bit more rotation on the bolts each time or no effect. (Based on using a standard mechanical torque wrench):shrug:

Teflon 14th November 2018 19:53

What I do is tighten each wheel nut 'till the torque wrench goes "click" and stops tightening, then go 'round again another 2 times to make sure I've not missed any. Each additional time around, the wrench just goes "click" on each nut (assuming I haven't missed it).

I dare say it could be adding a little more tightness, but if it did, it's very little and I'd rather that than leave a wheel nut loose.

Cliff

Mike Noc 15th November 2018 19:28

I cross tighten them and if the one I started on is tight at the second attempt, job's a good un. ;)

mystabe 16th November 2018 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avulon (Post 2686725)
How do you check the torque 4 times? The only way I know to do that would be to torque it then loosen and retorque. In which case you end up in the same place with the same torque - as determined by the torque wrench. Without the loosen step it's possible you'll either apply a bit more rotation on the bolts each time or no effect. (Based on using a standard mechanical torque wrench):shrug:

To be honest perhaps we really should just applaud that he used a torque wrench at all - so many tyre places don't.

Avulon 16th November 2018 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystabe (Post 2687118)
To be honest perhaps we really should just applaud that he used a torque wrench at all - so many tyre places don't.

:wot: You're not wrong