The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Discussion (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Say goodbye to retail establishments (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=303671)

clf 20th March 2020 16:02

Say goodbye to retail establishments

I've been saying for years that bricks and mortar establishments will become obsolete. No more sales staff, call centre staff and warehouses will become the way forward for retail. If you want to see a new product, you will go to a showroom, and order it. The argos model will become the norm.

With the mad panic and mass self isolation over covid 19, people will see the benefits and the logistics of shopping online. Once this period ends, the retailers that do survive will dwindle as people will have found a trust and ability to shop online and continue to do so.

I would go as far to say that once this settles down, there will be at least a 20% increase in regular online shoppers.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

KWIL 20th March 2020 16:41

How many times have you been in shop, looked at what was for sale and rejected some of the items, particularly fruit and veg?

OK for branded cans and breakfast cereals etc, but not much else.

Snetty 20th March 2020 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2800318)
I've been saying for years that bricks and mortar establishments will become obsolete. No more sales staff, call centre staff and warehouses will become the way forward for retail. If you want to see a new product, you will go to a showroom, and order it. The argos model will become the norm.

With the mad panic and mass self isolation over covid 19, people will see the benefits and the logistics of shopping online. Once this period ends, the retailers that do survive will dwindle as people will have found a trust and ability to shop online and continue to do so.

I would go as far to say that once this settles down, there will be at least a 20% increase in regular online shoppers.

And once it's highlighted of the environment damage caused by 1000's of primarily diesel vehicles making these deliveries a whopping online shopping tax will be levied.

clf 20th March 2020 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snetty (Post 2800347)
And once it's highlighted of the environment damage caused by 1000's of primarily diesel vehicles making these deliveries a whopping online shopping tax will be levied.

hmmmm some of that will be offset by those not driving to the shops in their cold engined vehicles ;)

Snetty 20th March 2020 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2800318)

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2800359)
hmmmm some of that will be offset by those not driving to the shops in their cold engined vehicles ;)

When has reasoning ever got in the way of finding another way to tax you.

macafee2 30th March 2020 20:07

I'm sure after this, people may well use on line more but I don't see the end for now of the shop. There may be less due to having gone bust and not because people shop on line.
Go to the shop, you can touch the item and learn things by touching. I want some cheap paint brushes. I cant find them on line but the hardware shop in town has them.
Some clothes fit better then others, on line could mean lots of activity, delivery and return, delivery and return.

On line shopping will open up to more employment opportunities but I wonder if enough to compensate for what is lost in the high street shops.

macafee2

Rick-sta 30th March 2020 20:29

We wont lose shops due to a change in people's buying habits after this, however i do expect we'll lose some due to the financial impact.

One thing i think will always be around is clothes shops. I buy most things online, but clothing i have to buy from a shop. Very rarely ever bought any clothing online.