The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   E10 Fuel Being Brought In Sooner! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=303301)

Neil1 4th March 2020 12:50

E10 Fuel Being Brought In Sooner!

Looks like it's being brought in for next year.

The problem is if your vehicle was built before 2002 then your advised not to use it.

Anyone with a classic car that uses a carburettor has no chance.

Normal unleaded E5 will be classed as a premium fuel and will be priced as such.

So will diesel be increased in price as well.

That means food and everything else that gets delivered will also increase in price!

I'm all for doing what we can but it will be at great expense to us.

victorgte 4th March 2020 13:33

This has been discussed on several forums including the Reliant Scimitar of which I was a member for 13 years due to having 2. Fuel lines will need changing and carbs modified. After a while it will dissolve the rubber fuel lines but replacements are available. I started modifying my Scimitar about 6 years ago ready for the change as it has been a long time under discussion by the Government.
I’m no scientist but I’ve seen the damage done by higher ethanol content in petrol and it can at its worst be dangerous if your fuel lines are not up to it. There may well be a boom in the restoration market.

roverbarmy 4th March 2020 13:37

Does anyone have a horse for sale?:duh: Nah! they will up the tax on straw!:getmecoat:

Neil1 4th March 2020 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorgte (Post 2796891)
This has been discussed on several forums including the Reliant Scimitar of which I was a member for 13 years due to having 2. Fuel lines will need changing and carbs modified. After a while it will dissolve the rubber fuel lines but replacements are available. I started modifying my Scimitar about 6 years ago ready for the change as it has been a long time under discussion by the Government.
I’m no scientist but I’ve seen the damage done by higher ethanol content in petrol and it can at its worst be dangerous if your fuel lines are not up to it. There may well be a boom in the restoration market.

Yes, I read that it was highly corrosive and damaging to seals, metals and gasket seals.

Over 1 million vehicles will be affected by this with around 350,000 removed from our roads.

Neil1 4th March 2020 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2796892)
Does anyone have a horse for sale?:duh: Nah! they will up the tax on straw!:getmecoat:

Plus they give off methane gas.:eek: :dung:

vitesse 4th March 2020 13:51

With a few modifications our petrol engines cope with ethanol - ask Dorchester2 in France who runs his car on ethanol.
I ran my old SD1 Vitesse a whole summer on E85, at the time ethanol was cheaper - and then the Swedish government raised the price. Did make one mistake forgetting to upgrade a short length of fuel hose under the car and drained the fuel tank very quickly. Don't think the 75 uses the same rubberised hoses.

Regards

planenut 4th March 2020 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil1 (Post 2796895)
Plus they give off methane gas.:eek: :dung:

So do a lot of the types who frequent the big house where these decisions are made!

Neil1 4th March 2020 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2796910)
So do a lot of the types who frequent the big house where these decisions are made!

Yes, you are right there.

I reckon we should give the Government a bit of earache on this because what this tiny island does isn't going to make any difference to the global atmosphere with the 3 largest nations not giving a stuff, America, China and Russia.

Nor what we do will have an impact.

Better off buying a boat!

macafee2 4th March 2020 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil1 (Post 2796916)
Yes, you are right there.

I reckon we should give the Government a bit of earache on this because what this tiny island does isn't going to make any difference to the global atmosphere with the 3 largest nations not giving a stuff, America, China and Russia.

Nor what we do will have an impact.

Better off buying a boat!

I cannot agree it would not make a difference. Surly any reduction in harmful emissions makes a difference, even if so slight, that all it does is to slow down the coming of the end result

macafee2

BRG75 4th March 2020 15:13

Does that mean that the 2003 on 75 / ZT have different fuel lines, plus anything else needed.

If so, surely 2002 and earlier models can be retrofitted.

Or have I missed something?

Mike