The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   should Judges be able to (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=302279)

macafee2 20th January 2020 13:53

should Judges be able to

suspend driving licences for things other then traffic offences?

Suspend for such things as failing to pay money ordered by the court, fines, compensation etc.

I'm thinking more for those that refuse to pay and not so much for those that cannot afford to pay a reasonable amount.

macafee2

wraymond 20th January 2020 14:37

1. suspend driving licences for things other than traffic offences?

2. Suspend for such things as failing to pay money ordered by the court, fines, compensation etc.

3a. I'm thinking more for those that refuse to pay
b. not so much for those that cannot afford to pay a reasonable amount.

Generally, how it should be but probably wrong:

1. No.
2. No.
3a. Not without further court appearances. That is a different offence and needs a separate charge.

b. There is adequate facility for appeal on many grounds and for those in hardship the original judgement will presumably take pleas into account when considering penalties, for instance vital occupational transport or disability.

trikey 20th January 2020 14:38

I think judges should live in the real world for a while then they might give more appropriate sentences.

What narks me is we pay for separate licences, car, bike, hgv etc and yet you have one licence that gets endorsed!

wraymond 20th January 2020 14:44

Didn't know that Andy. Thought it was all licences. Who said 'the law is an ass'? Whoever it was spelled the last word wrongly.

macafee2 20th January 2020 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraymond (Post 2787853)
1. suspend driving licences for things other than traffic offences?

2. Suspend for such things as failing to pay money ordered by the court, fines, compensation etc.

3a. I'm thinking more for those that refuse to pay
b. not so much for those that cannot afford to pay a reasonable amount.

Generally, how it should be but probably wrong:

1. No.
2. No.
3a. Not without further court appearances. That is a different offence and needs a separate charge.

b. There is adequate facility for appeal on many grounds and for those in hardship the original judgement will presumably take pleas into account when considering penalties, for instance vital occupational transport or disability.

why no? for a lot of people the thought of losing their license would be enough for them to pay.

macafee2

wraymond 20th January 2020 17:51

That would amount to attaching various unrelated multiple offences to each conviction (which had not been 'tried'). The Law needs to be definite and as precise as possible, the principle of 'appeal' could be jeopardised. But I'm not a lawyer and bow to those qualified.

macafee2 20th January 2020 23:05

mmm a dad refuses to pay child maintenance, he can afford it but refuses to pay.
tack away his licence if he does not pay may prompt him to pay
take away his licence he cant work he cant afford to pay, fair point but one he chooses also take away rights to benefits if tis is the road he decides to go down.

The child going short has no choice.

Not really adding penalties to an existing penalty, just trying to get them to pay what the court orders.

I thought it was a good idea, seen it of judge judy

macafee2

Nick Greg 21st January 2020 07:35

What if they don't drive? Confiscate their passport?

macafee2 21st January 2020 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Greg (Post 2787991)
What if they don't drive? Confiscate their passport?

yes.... if they have one

macafee2

trikey 21st January 2020 10:31

The courts will do whatever they see fit at the time, I’m old enough to remember travelling miners being stopped at county lines being refused entry by the police.

There is no standard, never has been never will be, one case I heard of saw a speeding biker get jail and then in the same court a serial offender walked free despite admitting to numerous offences including burglary?!?