The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rover stereotypes - Old man's car? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291420)

Raspberrycai 29th December 2018 23:58

Rover stereotypes - Old man's car?

So, there's a big stereotype with Rover drivers being "Old men", but i'm not entirely sure how true that is, but It seems to be a widespread belief.

I only bought my Rover 75 a few months ago - a few weeks after passing my driving test. I bought it when I was 17, and Since buying it I think that every single person I know has called it an "old man's car,"and I get reminded of it every day. I've loved 75's for a long time, as you can see I joined the forums almost a year before I even started driving lessons.

The bloke I bought the car from was baffled as to why I was interested in a Rover at my age, and actually thought that I was joking about buying it until I handed over the money, even though me and a mechanic examined the car for over an hour. Both the man I bought the car from and my mechanic have said that after speaking to me on the phone, they expected to see an old man greeting them, only to find a teenager who looks like he should be driving a corsa! I definitely enjoy all the attention I get from it though, and I couldn't be happier with the car. At the end of the day i'm laughing, because most people I know have clio's / Aygos that cost more money than mine and just aren't as good, and there is nothing better than driving back home from uni with the heated seats on.

How true do you reckon the old man stereotype is, and are there any younger Rover 75/ MG ZT drivers on the forums? I assume the ZT will attract a slightly younger crowd due to the sporty appearance and suspension.

tantallon 30th December 2018 00:15

Good for you young man .As a matter of interest What was the cost of insurance as a first car at such a young age

KLM 30th December 2018 00:25

Congrats on choosing a Rover 75. They were always classed as a mature mans car if only because they were not cheap to purchase when new. No Rover ever was.
My first car at 22 yrs old was a Ford Consul deluxe, with leather bench seats, great winter heaters and roomy space for a passengers, way back in the 1960's when I was driving it. Back then young guys travelled on scooters and motor bikes. Cars were too expensive to purchase and loans from banks were not given too readily.
So, enjoy your spacious Rover 75 and the girls you will be dating. :icon_lol:

Kevin.

bl52krz 30th December 2018 00:27

Hi Cai. Yup. They have the reputation of an old geezer with a smoky old pipe in his mouth, and a pair of slippers. Well I am an old bloke, though I don’t smoke, but do have the slippers. Nowt wrong with that. Age brings experience,I think, and in my experience you learn all about money and how to make it go a long way. Your friends have euro box’s, Clio/Aygo’s. The cost to buy and run one will be a lot more than it will cost to buy and run your Rover. You already get more smiles per mile than they do. Have you given them a ride in yours yet? When/ if you do, get ready for some ooo’s and aaah’S.
In your avatar you only put 2.0 Connie. Is it a diesel or petrol?/

T16 30th December 2018 04:00

I think its way past old mans car now.

Even Romanian Gypsies drive Mercs.

Latvian benefits claimant maybe?

Mike Trident 30th December 2018 05:54

Classed as an old man's car! yes for sure, even my wife tells me that lol.

One good point in your favour tho, at least most Rovers will have had a steady life. I mean, a second hand Corsa, Clio etc will probably have been wragged to death by some young boy racer, with minimal maintenance. Or worse still, been modded to death with go faster parts that don't

remember:- Pipe, Slippers, Werthers are not compulsory. And the music system will still play your favourite music even if the radio does contain "valves" lol only joking.

I guess you will be too young to know what "valves" are unless of course, you play electric guitar!

Anyway! well done that man, and welcome.

Simondi 30th December 2018 06:00

Even the ZTs get the old man's car jibe from time to time. However when one of the jokers get in the story usually changes - especially when they hear that gorgeous V6.

Enjoy your car, we know ours are far better than any Clio or Aygo to name but two.

Les4048 30th December 2018 06:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by T16 (Post 2698138)
I think its way past old mans car now.

Even Romanian Gypsies drive Mercs.

Latvian benefits claimant maybe?

It’s always had the “old man” reputation and in my personal experience that’s not changed

Mike Trident 30th December 2018 06:09

not only "old man" but also captain sensible!

We all know Police drove Rovers and the bad guys drove Jags lol

gadget1960 30th December 2018 07:01

I don't mind one bit it being labelled as an old mans car because finally ... i have a car that suits me to a 'T' haha.