The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   1.8T Light load stumble - about to go on holiday.. help! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=186325)

ianqv 10th June 2014 18:15

1.8T Light load stumble - about to go on holiday.. help!

Evening Chaps,

I wonder if anyone can save my life!
I have a 1.8T 2004 (manual) and It has a light load stumble (hesitation) around 2500rpm.
Its not as drastic as a misfire, makes no diff if the a/c is on or off. and the hesitation is only there for a second or 2.
I have replaced the spark plugs, ht leads and coils. gapped the plugs to a loose 0.6mm.
No stored DTC's.

Under full load the engine responds perfectly, revs cleanly all the way up the rev range.

I go on holiday down to he west country on Friday - Wife going mad as she never wanted the car in the first place (it has been trouble, but have almost sorted it now!).
PLEASE can any one help me before I loose the will to live! (or wife nags me to death!!).

Many thanks in advance

Ian

suzublu 10th June 2014 18:20

Are you losing any coolant :shrug: If you are, common fault is the inlet manifold gasket :}

Gman2 10th June 2014 18:45

When you mean "stumble" are you talking about a jolt / loss of power when under load? If so it's a good chance it's an air leak on your hoses from the modulator (side of air box) to the turbo or perhaps one has become detatched? Replace with new silicone ones (easy job) and Bob's yer uncle as they say :}

ianqv 10th June 2014 18:46

Hi
Many thanks for that.
Thankfully coolant all ok.

Do you reckon it worth a punt anyway... looks easy to do!

Cheers

Ian

ianqv 10th June 2014 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gman2 (Post 1702504)
When you mean "stumble" are you talking about a jolt / loss of power when under load? If so it's a good chance it's an air leak on your hoses from the modulator (side of air box) to the turbo or perhaps one has become detatched? Replace with new silicone ones (easy job) and Bob's yer uncle as they say :}

Hi,

Many thanks for you suggestion.

No...
Under light load (around 2500rpm) it gives a very slight hesitation.
It's not a full on misfire.
Car goes well if you boot it - NO lack of power and no harsh jolts.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

ianqv 11th June 2014 12:41

Just an update........

It was the new coil causing the problem!
Now runs nice and smooth!

But the best thing.... the wife is off my back!! :disco:

Cheers for the suggestions

Ian

The Mighty Quinn 11th June 2014 16:36

Hi Ian,
Do you mind me asking what the issue was with the new coil?
It's just that I plan on changing coils, leads and plugs shortly as well and it would be useful to know what to look out for..!
Cheers, Karl.

ianqv 16th June 2014 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn (Post 1703312)
Hi Ian,
Do you mind me asking what the issue was with the new coil?
It's just that I plan on changing coils, leads and plugs shortly as well and it would be useful to know what to look out for..!
Cheers, Karl.

I thought the hesitation was being caused by the new coil, sadly after a couple of days it has returned!
The hesitation happens around 2500rpm on light load.
I'm starting to wonder if it may be a calibration issue?

Anyway.... I have just re set up the tps (turned ing to position 2 and pumped the throttle 5 times).

Lets see what happens on the way home tonight.

I will keep you posted

Ian

MG Tom 16th June 2014 12:12

Mine has this very very subtle stutter under light load at low rpm, most noticeable when climbing a gradual hill in a 30mph limit.

Its incredibly slight though, I've often wondered if it is actually the firm suspension causing a similar sensation. My car is otherwise without fault, T4 gave it a clean bill of health, and pretty much every sensor etc has been changed.

Hence I've put it down as a feature rather than a fault.

HenryD 16th June 2014 12:20

Mine has a similar very slight stumble on light load,I think mine is caused by the aircon pump switching in and out as if I turn it off it disapears