The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Sill repair (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312264)

bsafly 8th April 2021 21:39

Sill repair

7 Attachment(s)
Just had the rears of both sills on the 75 tourer repaired - due to the common corrosion issues these cars are now suffering from.
After spending time contacting various bodyshops and viewing previous completed work to ensure the repairs would be carried out to the standard i wanted (I cannot get to Tom Hobbs unfortunately) I opted for a local restorer/bodywork man who managed to squeeze me in even though he is really busy.
I bought a pair of Tom Hobbs repair panels and let him get on with the job, unfortunately I didn't take before pictures of the sills - they looked really bad and i was expecting plenty of corrosion to the inner sills and jacking points going by pictures posted up on here of other members cars.
Got the car back earlier this evening and am really pleased with the results, see the pictures below of work in progress and the finished job.
(wasn't able to load all of them or in the correct order, :duh:, but it's obvious how they should be).
Next job to do is to treat the sills to a good dose of Waxoyl internally to ensure they don't corrode again any time soon.

squire 9th April 2021 06:47

Nice job done

Looks a fine job done there. Your local restorer compares favourably to Tom Hobbs by the look of the finished job, although he did have the repair panel made by Tom supplied by you.
Post up his name/address for reference incase others are in need of his services.

Martyn.

AndyN01 9th April 2021 07:27

:wot::iagree:

macafee2 9th April 2021 07:36

Looks a good job, who did the work and how much?

macafee2

bsafly 9th April 2021 17:13

The repairs were carried out by a chap called Wayne who works out of a unit in Black Notley, I will check with him before I post his address and phone number as I know he is extremely busy and has a large backlog of work (he fitted me in as a 'small job' to help me out).
He had the car for 6 days (but I get the impression he was fitting it in between other bigger jobs) and he charged me £350 all in including paint and consumables etc.
Took the car for MOT today and the tester was very impressed, only the new underseal on the inner sills gave away the fact the sills had been repaired and from the outside you can't tell.
Just got to get a pair of jacking pads as the car has never had rear ones fitted since I've owned it.

bsafly 15th April 2021 15:16

Jacking pads

Got hold of a pair of jacking pads to replace the two missing rear ones on the tourer, turned up in the post today courtesy of Matt (Cable Tie) - thank you Matt for the quick delivery.
Bought some Built Hamber Dynax S50, so will treat the inside of the sills, allow it to air off for a couple of days, then pop the jacking pads in place.
I will also treat the chassis section at the front where a few members have recently found corrosion/holes and the rear suspension upper arms (original i think - no evidence or paperwork history of them being renewed before) which are nice and solid at the moment.