The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Car ramps (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305127)

Mike Trident 24th May 2020 11:55

Car ramps

Can anyone recommend a pair of ramps that are low enough to get my Rover onto, don't take much storage space, and with a decent amount of lift?

I have been looking at the two piece plastic ones, but they only lift the car about 6 or so inches. I need more than this if I am to get my belly under the car.:D

macafee2 24th May 2020 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2814404)
Can anyone recommend a pair of ramps that are low enough to get my Rover onto, don't take much storage space, and with a decent amount of lift?

I have been looking at the two piece plastic ones, but they only lift the car about 6 or so inches. I need more than this if I am to get my belly under the car.:D

Strips of 18mm OSB board make good ramps and you can make them any height you want. Been using OSB for years but try to avoid leaving them out in the rain.

macafee2

baxlin 24th May 2020 12:05

FWIW, I have used planks of wood in front of taller ramps, which raise the front of the car enough to clear the ramp. Just remember to put them back in place before you reverse off the ramps.........

Mike Trident 24th May 2020 12:21

Thanks guys

I may make my own, at least they will fit the bill when completed.

Xavier 24th May 2020 12:34

Have a look at CJ Autos website as they do all sorts of different options depending on space and budget. Strongman tools is another one to look at but again all depends on space and budget.

chris75 24th May 2020 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by baxlin (Post 2814408)
FWIW, I have used planks of wood in front of taller ramps, which raise the front of the car enough to clear the ramp. Just remember to put them back in place before you reverse off the ramps.........

Works for me too :}

Mike Trident 24th May 2020 14:45

You guys have made me think about it.

Making my own, i could actually utilise the slight slope in my driveway. If I make the base fit the slope of the drive, I could give myself a lot more space underneath the car. I would only need perhaps 6 inches of raise on the top. This would of course make driving a low car onto it much easier.

Cheers guys!

Thanks Xavier, some of the equipment on the CJ site is amazing.

SCP440 24th May 2020 15:23

I'll second CJ autos. I had a set of lifts from them at the Nec a few years ago (usually VAT free or some other discount) and find them amazing value for money and work well.

Pueblo_Boy 24th May 2020 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2814436)
You guys have made me think about it.

Making my own, i could actually utilise the slight slope in my driveway. If I make the base fit the slope of the drive, I could give myself a lot more space underneath the car. I would only need perhaps 6 inches of raise on the top. This would of course make driving a low car onto it much easier.

Cheers guys!

Thanks Xavier, some of the equipment on the CJ site is amazing.

That's exactly what MarinaBrian does with his driveway in front of the house - probably why he bought it in the first place!:D

I've invested in Halfrauds axle stands and jack, with a backsliding trolley for getting underneath, but as yet unused, so cannot recommend.

marinabrian 24th May 2020 16:20

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy (Post 2814447)
That's exactly what MarinaBrian does with his driveway in front of the house - probably why he bought it in the first place!:D

I've invested in Halfrauds axle stands and jack, with a backsliding trolley for getting underneath, but as yet unused, so cannot recommend.

Nope, if I'd been given a choice in the matter at the time, I would have bought a house with a proper size garage to work in ;)

But yes, my 35 year old ramps, made as a gas welding exercise while serving my apprenticeship still serve me well :cool:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1590337152