The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Operating Temperature (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=300787)

T-Cut 25th November 2019 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2778104)
I don’t know if the 75/ZT has the same type of system in operation, but just thought I would post this up.

Completely different principle I'm afraid. The 75/ZT systems, including the temperature gauge, operate digitally. This means 'electronic data' are sent over shared, multichannel 'buses' rather than by the old analogue, electromechanical way.

TC

kaiser 26th November 2019 04:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2778104)
Hi Simon. You mention the SD1. I had the 2.6 and the 3.5. Sometimes I had a problem when it was very warm, that was before global warming, the temp gauge on the 3.5 would suddenly be showing that it was very hot. I found that this was a fault with a resistor that was under the top of the dashboard. It was evidently a well known fault on that particular model. I don’t know if the 75/ZT has the same type of system in operation, but just thought I would post this up.

Before global warming :D
When cars were cars and men were not afraid!

SD1too 26th November 2019 09:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2778127)
Completely different principle I'm afraid. The 75/ZT systems, including the temperature gauge, operate digitally. This means 'electronic data' are sent over shared, multichannel 'buses' rather than by the old analogue, electromechanical way.

The 75/ZT systems are actually partially digital, this principally being intercommunication between ECUs (including the instrument pack). Otherwise there are still a large number of electromechanical and analogue devices to be found. In the case of the temperature gauge, the 75/ZT's coolant sensor is a thermistor (just like the part fitted to David's SD1 built over thirty years ago). Its output is analogue as far as the ECM.

Simon

Dave6 14th December 2019 17:04

I thought I would provide an update. Upon further investigation coolant was found in the V of the engine due to a leak in one of the pipes close to the thermostat. A thermostat kit was purchased from Rimmer Bros and so far, the problem appears to have gone away. It will slowly reach 100 degrees in heavy stop start traffic and the fan cools it to 94 quickly. Normal operating temperature is in the region of 89 to 93. Fingers crossed it continues to behave.

Yorkshire GOC 14th December 2019 17:12

Can only speak for the 1.8t - but a few years ago my first inkling something not quite right was the 2 speed cooling fan running when the car was parked and engine off - had A leaking IMG.

BoroRover 15th December 2019 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiser (Post 2778144)
Before global warming :D
When cars were cars and men were not afraid!

I can honestly say, this is the only problem I DIDN'T have with my SD1 :icon_redface: