The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Comet V Union wheels (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297966)

ardvark 31st July 2019 15:11

Comet V Union wheels

I have a Club SE diesel tourer with union wheels. The car is going to be replaced with a Conny SE with comet wheels. In members opinion would it be best to keep the comets or replace them with the unions?

trikey 31st July 2019 16:55

It’s down to personal preference, but unions do look good on a mk1.

grout20 31st July 2019 18:14

I put Unions on my first '75 Mk1 Club SE to replace the 18 inch Hairpins the previous owner had fitted.

Then I changed to a set of Crowns and they looked and rode great. Not everyone's choice I know...... :}

Then I changed car to a '75 Mk1 Conny SE which again had Unions and again I changed to Crowns!

Despite changing from them twice, I do prefer the look of Unions to Comets :shrug:

I still think Serpents are the best for looks :drool4:

Not sure I've really helped at all ....good luck with your choosing!

Happy Roving

John

Olde faithful 31st July 2019 19:28

serpents are the kings of mark 1 Rover 75's by a country mile! the sliding snakes beautiful alloys always were

mark 2 Rover 75 Starspokes king

victorgte 31st July 2019 19:59

Until recently my summer wheels were comets and winter wheels (with winter tyres) were Contours. Comets were very smart and gave a lovely smooth ride on 15” Dunlop tyres.
Now I’ve gone back to Unions with Avon tyres. Better handling if not quite as smooth but still good.
Sold the Serpents as just did not like them and tyres are expensive.
Meteors on my wife’s 75 were/are the best but again you pay for the tyres. Sold them a few weeks ago.
Current set up. Wife’s MK2 has forked alloys which I like (16”) and my mk1 is on Unions.
Both cars have a set of winter wheels in the shed ready to fit about the end of October.
It’s a complicated world sometimes.:D

Olde faithful 31st July 2019 21:23

I dont seem to get through tyres on serpents?:shrug:

ZedTeeT 31st July 2019 22:05

Unions over comets any day. The comets are a bit bland in my eyes. :D

marinabrian 1st August 2019 04:56

I much prefer Comets to Unions if I'm honest, and on a Mk2 Unions look absolutely hideous.

Plus if you have a Connoisseur fitted with Comet wheels, it seems like a downgrade to fit Club SE wheels to the car.

Anyway it's all down to preference, I've driven cars fitted with both types of wheel, and the Comets give a far superior ride.

Brian :D

Sdeh 1st August 2019 15:14

I personally like the serpents and the unions but the wheels I like the most are the ones the rover 75 facelift ones that had the rover logo style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonic ZS 1st August 2019 20:04

Can't beat a good old 15" steel with a plastic trim... :duh: :getmecoat: