The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Brakes overheating (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=294190)

Beckid 22nd March 2019 20:31

Brakes overheating

The back brakes on my mg zt are overheating. I have checked and cleaned all Caliper slides and checked that piston moves in and out. Wheels seem to turn ok when I check with car stationary. When I drive for a few minutes and then check disks. They are both very hot. Can anyone suggest what I try next?

RoverP480 22nd March 2019 20:34

Are the park brake shoes dragging , although you do say they turn OK when checking stationary. Could be a loose shoes or lining

Beckid 22nd March 2019 20:38

The hand brake seems to be working ok.

Fusilier 22nd March 2019 21:35

Brakes

William

Have you got the correct discs fitted, have seen this happen when the wrong discs were fitted, should have been vented, but they replaced discs with solid, and then the discs were Overheating

Stu

Beckid 22nd March 2019 23:50

Yes. Disks have not been changed and are vented.

T-Cut 23rd March 2019 15:59

Jack the wheel up and turn it by hand to detect any drag from the brakes or resistance in the bearings. Clearly it has to be one or t'other.

TC

RoverP480 23rd March 2019 18:44

Agree with T-Cut, something is dragging. You say the wheels spin OK with the vehicle stationary, which would presumably means when jacked up . Is the wheel hanging or in the running position when checking?

Discofan 24th March 2019 15:30

Could be the flexible brake hoses degrading and swelling internally due to age. Had this happen on a Peugeot 405 once.

podman 11th August 2021 08:04

Rover Brakes dragging

My Rover 75 has developed a dragging sound which seems to be coming from the rear brakes. I stopped the car, got out and checked the rear brake discs, they were hot, and the pads were touching them, but not flat-on, but tilted slightly so that only the top edge of them was touching. Then I looked at the front discs for comparison and found that they too were hot and the pads touching in the same way. And, thankfully, when I'm driving and I apply the brakes they do work as normal.
What is going on here? Is it that the master cylinder isn't retracting properly? Or is it an ABS problem? Does anyone have any insight into this one please?
Thanks.

macafee2 11th August 2021 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by podman (Post 2895327)
My Rover 75 has developed a dragging sound which seems to be coming from the rear brakes. I stopped the car, got out and checked the rear brake discs, they were hot, and the pads were touching them, but not flat-on, but tilted slightly so that only the top edge of them was touching. Then I looked at the front discs for comparison and found that they too were hot and the pads touching in the same way. And, thankfully, when I'm driving and I apply the brakes they do work as normal.
What is going on here? Is it that the master cylinder isn't retracting properly? Or is it an ABS problem? Does anyone have any insight into this one please?
Thanks.

There is very little gap between pad and disc, in fact you may even get a slight rubbing between the two. Discs will get hot, very hot. I would say you are better to jack the car up, apply and release the brake pedal and check how well each wheel turns. Has the handbrake been adjusted recently?
Generally if disc pads are binding, I would say the piston is the caliper is the problem. Years of rain and salt leading to corrosion, easily and cheaply solved. Pistons can be cleaned but replacing them and the seals is not too difficult

macafee2