The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fuel pump Relay? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316411)

canan 15th November 2021 19:11

Fuel pump Relay?

Hiya,

A few months back my Rover 75 2.5v6 auto Connie's engine would not turn-over, Chris kindly identified it was a imobilzer issues and quickly sorted and had her running again.

But now she wont start, even tough she now turns over. She slowly gets better and pretends she will start, but just doesnt quite get there. She had priviously started after the first turn.

I have been reading that it could be a Fuel pump Relay issue, but I'm not sure how to listen to the fuel pump, as been suggested elsewhere, as another possible issue.

Could some let me know the steps to follow to determine if it is the Fuel Pump Relay?

Thanks
JD

trikey 15th November 2021 19:16

Open the fuel flap, remove the lid, turn ign on then put your ear to the filler neck, see if you can hear the pump humming..

FLYING BANANA 15th November 2021 19:42

When I turn on the ignition I can hear the pump priming. Only lasts for a couple of seconds.

COLVERT 16th November 2021 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2908074)
When I turn on the ignition I can hear the pump priming. Only lasts for a couple of seconds.

Sounds too quick. Normally runs for up to about 30 seconds.--:shrug:

FLYING BANANA 16th November 2021 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2908134)

We are talking about Banana, who likes to be different.

FLYING BANANA 16th November 2021 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2908147)
We are talking about Banana, who likes to be different.

The V8 also does this when you turn on the ignition, the pump primes for a few seconds.

Jamiewelch 17th November 2021 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2908134)

Not on a petrol :)

SD1too 17th November 2021 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by canan (Post 2908062)
But now she wont start, even tough she now turns over. She slowly gets better and pretends she will start, but just doesnt quite get there.

There are several possibilities here Jay:
  1. Fuel pump relay (unlikely). At "ignition on" it primes for only two seconds so you'll need an assistant to turn the key whilst you listen.
  2. Fuel pump failure (also unlikely but it happens occasionally).
  3. Crankshaft position sensor fault (if the pump doesn't run when cranking. It will still run at "ignition on").
  4. Fuel filter canister separation (a favourite).
  5. Camshaft position sensor fault (doubtful in view of your evidence).

Checking if and when the pump runs is a good place to begin.

Simon

T-Cut 17th November 2021 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by canan (Post 2908062)
But now she wont start, even though she now turns over. She slowly gets better and pretends she will start, but just doesn't quite get there. She had priviously started after the first turn.

That's Fuel Filter Syndrome for ya. Read through this earlier thread covering the same engine, the same symptoms, and the easy fix. https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=316361

TC

canan 23rd November 2021 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2908340)
There are several possibilities here Jay:
  1. Fuel pump relay (unlikely). At "ignition on" it primes for only two seconds so you'll need an assistant to turn the key whilst you listen.
  2. Fuel pump failure (also unlikely but it happens occasionally).
  3. Crankshaft position sensor fault (if the pump doesn't run when cranking. It will still run at "ignition on").
  4. Fuel filter canister separation (a favourite).
  5. Camshaft position sensor fault (doubtful in view of your evidence).

Checking if and when the pump runs is a good place to begin.

Simon

Thanks for the advice. I try these out when I get a moment.