The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   V8 Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Smoke without fire (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=263997)

oldie 20th March 2017 07:04

Smoke without fire

As the car had been idle for a fortnight I went for a little drive yesterday p.m. Included was a good workout on a nearby by-pass. When I slowed/stopped for traffic lights I noticed some smoke from the off-side front wheel-arch. Stopped at a lay-by, bonnet up, all seemed well other than a burning smell around the wheel -arch. Drive home uneventful.

Brakes or something else?

FLYING BANANA 20th March 2017 07:13

Could be a collapsed flexi pipe has caused the calliper to seize and push the piston against the disc thus stopping the piston to return.

That's what happened on mine. Fitted a new pipe and calliper and all was well again.

wullie480 20th March 2017 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldie (Post 2463981)
As the car had been idle for a fortnight I went for a little drive yesterday p.m. Included was a good workout on a nearby by-pass. When I slowed/stopped for traffic lights I noticed some smoke from the off-side front wheel-arch. Stopped at a lay-by, bonnet up, all seemed well other than a burning smell around the wheel -arch. Drive home uneventful.

Brakes or something else?

Sticking caliper maybe with it sitting.

Was the wheel hot?

COLVERT 20th March 2017 20:16

Oldie.

Still burning when you got home or not ????

As Wullie said. Was the wheel or hub hot ??

oldie 20th March 2017 22:59

Didn't check the wheels specifically. Will go for another trip and check soonest.

Arryhall 21st March 2017 19:46

Don't touch the disc to see or feel, if it's hot!

Not that I did that, or anything. :o

trikey 21st March 2017 20:22

99% sure it will be a sticky caliper, they tend to seize up if stood a while.

Mike Noc 21st March 2017 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arryhall (Post 2464876)

Spit on your finger then a very quick light dab is safe enough - if it sizzles the disc has got a tad too warm. :D

ianbstag 21st March 2017 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arryhall (Post 2464876)

Stings a bit doesn't it? (Blister on my index finger took ages to heal...)

oldie 23rd March 2017 06:28

Measured the temperature near the calliper with a digital thermometer probe on front and back wheels. Fronts were warmer than the rear and offside front the hottest. Guess it's a sticking caliper.

How, if at all, do the front brakes differ from those of a Rover v6? Are the requisite bits commonly available?