The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Headlining Adhesive? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=278926)

Groundsman Willie 2nd February 2018 16:58

Headlining Adhesive?

The headlining material has started to come away from the windscreen pillar panel on my 75. It's kinda drooping up the side of the windscreen and quite frankly, doing my head in!. Once noticed, my eye keeps being drawn to it. The material seems very thin, and I think a normal contact adhesive would bleed through and stain the material. What adhesive should I use?
Cheers

roverbarmy 2nd February 2018 17:53

Upholsterers spray contact glue
works well.;) You may have to take more off to spray the area (masking off where you don't need it).

Groundsman Willie 2nd February 2018 18:03

Cheers, roverbarmy.
Wasn't sure whether the material is thick or dense enough to take contact adhesive without it staining through

roverbarmy 2nd February 2018 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundsman Willie (Post 2591493)
Cheers, roverbarmy.
Wasn't sure whether the material is thick or dense enough to take contact adhesive without it staining through

Usually you have to allow it to almost dry, then affix. It's a one shot job though! Get it wrong and it will really annoy you! :D

Groundsman Willie 2nd February 2018 19:11

Ah, right, see what you mean
Cheers

LeRich 2nd February 2018 19:20

Sagging headlinings aren't a common problem on these cars - has something caused it to go?

My old ZS had a bit of headlining droop (common problem on the HHR). I think the previous owner had used spray glue to reattach - they didn't do the tidiest job but it did the trick!

Number 6 2nd February 2018 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeRich (Post 2591527)
Sagging headlinings aren't a common problem on these cars - has something caused it to go?

My old ZS had a bit of headlining droop (common problem on the HHR). I think the previous owner had used spray glue to reattach - they didn't do the tidiest job but it did the trick!

It is the A pillar covering that is coming away..;)

suzublu 2nd February 2018 19:50

Just swap the A pillar cover I would have thought:shrug::cool:

LeRich 2nd February 2018 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2591543)
It is the A pillar covering that is coming away..;)

So it is - I read it as headlining by the pillar!

If you can't repair the existing pillar trim then it's easy enough to replace with a good one.

Groundsman Willie 2nd February 2018 20:09

Yeah, sorry, it's the A pillar trim that's the problem. I know the panel clips off easily enough, just thought it was easier to reglue the material back on, rather than buying another panel