The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Help - Whining Clutch (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=233057)

ChrisW67 17th December 2015 10:21

Help - Whining Clutch

Hi all, I've done a search and tried to contact a few people, but so far have either been hit with very expensive quotes or 'number unobtainable'...

My Rover 75 2.5 V6 clutch is whining whenever I push the pedal in, and then the noise almost goes away again when the pedal is up. I can change gear fine, the gears don't slip, and the car obviously still drives - I believe it's the release bearing that needs to be replaced... The car has done about 76k

At the moment I'm looking at one of these...

http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/c...1068-uub100193

...but need someone to fit it in or around Berkshire that won't cost me an arm and a leg... Especially at this time of year!

Can anyone recommend anyone?

daznkel 17th December 2015 10:37

Although a Diesel. Exactly the same happening to mine at the minute! As reported HERE

This (When it goes) will be the cars 3rd slave cylinder in the last 30k miles due to poor parts.

The person I bought my car from had just fitted a new OEM Clutch, Pressure plate and Slave. The slave failed within 5k miles. I then had a Transmech branded one fitted, which failed within 300 miles. Replaced that with a genuine LUK one which is now Whining! Oh and in between replaced the M/C with a TAZU MK1 Metal one.

Given the lessons above, I will replace the lot when it goes, with the 3pc one (Borg & Beck and TAZU Metal Slave) from Mat at DMGRS.

I suggest, that you do the same as ONLY quality parts will last and it seems even LUK parts fail and they are the recommended brand for the Slave cylinders for our cars! (Or at least they were until the metal one came along)

All the best though! :xmas-smiley-008:

DMGRS 17th December 2015 11:18

We've had very little issue with the LUK items, however in our time selling them have had a couple of issues reported.
The Metal Slave seems to be the way forward - we've had none returned to XPart under warranty yet, and have sold a good few.

Fingers crossed they last well into the future - with the Metal Master that's the clutch hydraulics finally taken care of (again, fingers crossed!)

ChrisW67 17th December 2015 11:33

I was looking at your website earlier, Matt, so thanks for chiming in... If I was more local to you, I'd bring it to you to fit what's needed - you wouldn't happen to know anyone down in this part of the country that doesn't cost an arm, leg and kidney for the required labour?

daznkel 17th December 2015 16:08

I don't know if he is still travelling around the country fitting them, but member Andy Willi used to fit them on your drive for something like £450 all in. May be worth dropping him a PM. :xmas-smiley-008:

DMGRS 18th December 2015 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisW67 (Post 2172137)
I was looking at your website earlier, Matt, so thanks for chiming in... If I was more local to you, I'd bring it to you to fit what's needed - you wouldn't happen to know anyone down in this part of the country that doesn't cost an arm, leg and kidney for the required labour?

Unfortunately not - I only know of the dealers up this way. :(
Your best bet is to ask a local taxi driver or two on your travels, as a lot of taxis used to be Rover 75s - the garages they use will likely know our cars well.

It's how I found my local garage.

ChrisW67 22nd December 2015 09:49

Quick heads-up, I've just ordered a Borg and Beck clutch and LuK cylinder from DMGRS, after having spoken to Andy Willi last night, and have found a garage that's quoted a decent price for fitting and can do the job - not before Christmas, sadly, but the first working day afterwards...

So, thanks for the help, and can't wait to get back on the road soon...