The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Annoying metallic rattle (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=294089)

zaph 19th March 2019 22:50

Annoying metallic rattle

I get this annoying matallic clatter, on my 75 diesel but only when I am on the move. Starting the engine at idle, no sound and I don't get the sound when I rev the car in a stationary position.

I have repaired the back and middle heat shields on the exhaust, they had gone walkabout but it wasn't that. I have been under the car, I had a similar noise which turned out to be a loose bolt on the drive shaft to engine mount backplate. i hadn't done it up tight enough during clutch change. Everything is tight on. It sounds like something is loose but I can't find it.

For the life of me I can't find out where this noise is coming from? Any ideas.

planenut 20th March 2019 05:34

I had an annoying rattle that resonated at 2000 revs, no matter what gear. I was certain that it was the heat shield on the rear exhaust and as you did, took them off and reseated them, to no avail.

When I was trying to sort out the interior lights on another 75, I found something which caused me to go back to the original vehicle and take out the front interior light fitting. There was a cross member which gives support to the roof. I found at 2000 revs this was the vibration and so rammed some small wooden wedges in there and that has eliminated my rattle.

Good luck.

roverbarmy 20th March 2019 07:35

Diesel particulate filters have been known to rattle/resonate at certain times in their operation. :shrug:

zaph 20th March 2019 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2720462)
Diesel particulate filters have been known to rattle/resonate at certain times in their operation. :shrug:

Rover 75's don't have DPFs.

zaph 20th March 2019 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2720437)
I had an annoying rattle that resonated at 2000 revs, no matter what gear. I was certain that it was the heat shield on the rear exhaust and as you did, took them off and reseated them, to no avail.

When I was trying to sort out the interior lights on another 75, I found something which caused me to go back to the original vehicle and take out the front interior light fitting. There was a cross member which gives support to the roof. I found at 2000 revs this was the vibration and so rammed some small wooden wedges in there and that has eliminated my rattle.

Good luck.

I will have a look at that, the rev range is about right. I think it might be a bit lower down, at the moment I am thinking brake heat shield.

planenut 20th March 2019 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaph (Post 2720473)
I will have a look at that, the rev range is about right. I think it might be a bit lower down, at the moment I am thinking brake heat shield.

I had suspected first that rear exhaust shield, then forward shields, then engine bay, and never suspected that the noise was emanating from above my head.

Worth a look.

marti666 20th March 2019 12:57

My car had a similar issue there was a vibrating noise at 1850 - 2000 rpm turned out to be the hydramount on the engine. changed that and it went away. Now have another vibration developing I would suggest that could be the gearbox mouth as it's seems to be coming from that area of the car.

roverbarmy 20th March 2019 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaph (Post 2720472)
Rover 75's don't have DPFs.

It won't be that then! :duh:

madeupname 21st March 2019 21:15

Have you checked the backplates on the brake discs?

Delirious 30th March 2019 15:38

springs

have a look at both rear calipers and check if the anti rattle springs are still there, i lost one and Jeeeeez it rattled to death only i motion, sounded like something heavy was about to fall off lol.....but simple fix and only a couple of quid