The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ABS Problem (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291864)

geofftl1000r 14th January 2019 08:45

ABS Problem

Hi All,
My faithful 75 has become a little sick. Sorry for the lengthy post.
About a week ago the ABS light and brake light came on. Then went off and on a few times every 30 seconds or so. When the ABS light was on, the speedo worked, when the ABS light went off the Speedo stopped working.
The brake light has been off since this originally happened. The ABS light is now on permanently but as the car pulls away or comes to a halt the ABS light will start to pulse.
As a starting point, I took my new spare sensor and plugged it into each of the 4 ABS connectors but the ABS fails the phase one check each time. The ABS light will fail to light at all if I leave 1 of the ABS sensors unplugged.
The previous owner must have had a battery leak at some point as there were signs of damage to the ABS module and wiring. The ABS module was replaced several years ago but I fear the plug/cabling is now the issue.
Is there a trusted T-4 person around the Gatwick area as I think this will be my next step. Also, is anyone breaking a 75 and could provide the ABS module connector and say a foot or wiring? Not looking forward to that job. :duh:
Thanks
Geoff

planenut 14th January 2019 08:54

Most times I've heard of and ABS/Speedo fault it is to do with the front offside sensor, normally affected by wires chafing. If you find someone local to T4 it, it won't do any harm.

Russell at www.mgroversolutions.com/ might be worth contacting if you have no luck within the Club. He is not far from you.

geofftl1000r 14th January 2019 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2702273)
Most times I've heard of and ABS/Speedo fault it is to do with the front offside sensor, normally affected by wires chafing. If you find someone local to T4 it, it won't do any harm.

Russell at www.mgroversolutions.com/ might be worth contacting if you have no luck within the Club. He is not far from you.

Thanks, I have sent a message to Russell to see if he can help with a T-4 check.
The front sensor was replaced a few years ago when the speedo stopped working. At the moment both the Speedo and cruise control work fine.
Geoff

Arctic 14th January 2019 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by geofftl1000r (Post 2702301)
Thanks, I have sent a message to Russell to see if he can help with a T-4 check.
Quote:

The front sensor was replaced a few years ago when the speedo stopped working. At the moment both the Speedo and cruise control work fine.
Geoff

Hi Geoff.
If the speedo and cruise control work, then usually it will be one of the rear ones, they tend to get rust on the bearing from the back plate being rusty, if it does turn out to be the ABS module wiring I think I may have module connector in the shed somewhere with a certain length of wiring.

But check OS rear bearing & sensor first.

geofftl1000r 14th January 2019 23:44

Hi Arctic, I have a feeling it's the wiring as she fails the static test even when I plug a new sensor into either of the tear blue connectors.
I have booked Wednesday off work so have a good look around the rear hubs and remove the battery to check the ABS module connector. Maybe a bit of jiggling will get the ABS light to go out so I know I'm in the right area.
Thanks, would be great if you have the connector.
Geoff

vitesse 15th January 2019 07:36

Recently had a problem with rear right ABS (diagnosed by self with Toaf). Even with a new sensor and bearing the ABS light was still on at start. Took the car up the road about 100 metres then everything reset and no problems since.

Regards

genpk 16th January 2019 12:27

I had the exact same issue on my ZT after i washed some battery acid out of my battery tray.
Took about 4 days to finally settle down.
Think the abs module wiring was the culprit.
Done it twice, each time after using water to wash out thebattery tray!!

BigRuss 16th January 2019 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by geofftl1000r (Post 2702487)
Hi Arctic, I have a feeling it's the wiring as she fails the static test even when I plug a new sensor into either of the tear blue connectors.
I have booked Wednesday off work so have a good look around the rear hubs and remove the battery to check the ABS module connector. Maybe a bit of jiggling will get the ABS light to go out so I know I'm in the right area.
Thanks, would be great if you have the connector.
Geoff

The ABS light will only go off if the fault is repaired and the car driven then it will reset ;)

Russ

geofftl1000r 17th January 2019 06:13

As I slow down to a crawl the ABS light pulses. Sometimes when I stop the ABS light will be off. It then comes on and pulses as I start to move off again. Didn't get chance to have a look at the ABS module on Wednesday as it was raining.
This weekend might be busy as my daughter started Labour this morning. :}

Arctic 21st January 2019 12:34

HI Geoff.
I managed to find the ABS module connector, it is from a diesel so may not be of any good to you, please keep us informed of how you get on finding the problem Arctic.