The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Tailgating cameras! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309041)

Lancpudn 5th November 2020 08:04

Tailgating cameras!

Has any one come across these new cameras on their travels? Apparently 10,000 drivers were caught in the first two weeks :eek: https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fle...ers-tailgating

edwardmk 5th November 2020 08:25

So I wonder what the official 'safe distance' is. This would be speed dependent and weather dependent. If rigidly applied, the carrying capacity of many roads would instantly become inadequate. Let's face it, there are a lot of drivers who shouldn't be on the roads. I honestly don't see how to fix that. When self driving cars are mandated probably. Then, to be allowed to drive manually, those who wanted to could be required to take a more challenging and expensive driving test, possibly every five years. Lots of revenue for HMRC too lol.

macafee2 5th November 2020 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardmk (Post 2846288)
So I wonder what the official 'safe distance' is. This would be speed dependent and weather dependent. If rigidly applied, the carrying capacity of many roads would instantly become inadequate. Let's face it, there are a lot of drivers who shouldn't be on the roads. I honestly don't see how to fix that. When self driving cars are mandated probably. Then, to be allowed to drive manually, those who wanted to could be required to take a more challenging and expensive driving test, possibly every five years. Lots of revenue for HMRC too lol.

official safe distance not sure there is one but an accepted one perhaps, 2 second gap in dry conditions increasing to 4 in wet.

only a fool breaks the 2 second rule.

It is amazing how quickly you cover the distance in front of you when the vehicle in front does an "emergency stop".

macafee2

clf 5th November 2020 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2846289)
official safe distance not sure there is one but an accepted one perhaps, 2 second gap in dry conditions increasing to 4 in wet.

only a fool breaks the 2 second rule.

It is amazing how quickly you cover the distance in front of you when the vehicle in front does an "emergency stop".

macafee2

There are offical braking and stopping distances in the highway code, which would equate to safe distances. But they dont seem to have changed since long before I passed my test 30 years ago.

The offical advice then was to double them in wet conditions.

I find it strange that they have not been updated to account for modern cars and braking systems. But then I guess it accounts for a worst case scenario (an old car). The law also needs to be black and white, so perhaps it is best to eliminate the grey area for.the bmw and range rover drivers.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

clf 5th November 2020 09:48

There is problem with finding for tailgating for cameras.

If someone was to pull out in front of you at an unsafe distance, just as you approached a camera. In a still image this would.not be obvious.

trikey 5th November 2020 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2846304)
There is problem with finding for tailgating for cameras.

If someone was to pull out in front of you at an unsafe distance, just as you approached a camera. In a still image this would.not be obvious.

And that would be my defence too, everytime I leave enough gap in front someone overtakes and pulls into it, they just don’t like being stuck behind an old rover.

torque2me 5th November 2020 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2846308)
And that would be my defence too, everytime I leave enough gap in front someone overtakes and pulls into it, they just don’t like being stuck behind an old rover.

They don't want to be behind a powerful one either.

Kev

macafee2 5th November 2020 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2846308)

you stick a caravan on the back and for some reason their car loses power. I know this because they say how they hate getting stuck behind a caravan because they cant overtake it.
I'd never admit my car is so mank I cant overtake a car and caravan

:D:D:D:D

whats' worse is towing a caravan and being stuck behind a solo car.

I think there was a steep hill out of Weymouth or somewhere in that area. I was towing my caravan and got stuck behind a solo car:mad::mad::mad:
Once the road went to two lanes I passed while we were both going up hill
:mad::mad::mad:

macafee2

AndyN01 5th November 2020 15:22

Might it be a bit contentious to wonder how many were trucks?

Or BMW's

Or Audi's

Or white vans

Or......

Most seem incapable of leaving anything resembling a decent distance. Something to do with (non adaptive) cruise control?????

dattrike 5th November 2020 15:58

Having been on a speed awareness course, it is recommended to observe the 2 second rule (4 if wet). If someone tail gates you, slow down and let them pass, then reset the distance to the 2 second rule. Getting irate with them may cause an accident or a road rage incident, in the long run you only lose a few seconds on your journey.