The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Brake problem (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=303090)

lionatus 23rd February 2020 15:27

Brake problem

Pipes burst friday and managed to get home topping up the reservoir with fluid.
Took to garage and we ran new brake pipes and bled all 4 sides succesfully but no pressure on pedal. My mate who was pumping the pedal for me whilest we bled the brakes said he thought he got a blip of pressure about 2/3rds of the pedal travel but no real pressure at all. Any ideas?

When I got to garage I had no pressure either and only got a stop from maybe 2mph at the very bottom of the pedal.

lionatus 23rd February 2020 19:26

No one? To reiterate I have no brake pedal when engine off but have replaced brake lines and have bled all 4 calipers. Still no pressure on pedal?

COLVERT 23rd February 2020 19:28

Providing there are no leaks anywhere the only answer, really, is that you still have air in the system.----:shrug:

There is, I believe, a correct order that has to be followed when bleeding them.--:}

lionatus 24th February 2020 09:12

Bleed procedure was followed a few times but still no pressure on pedal. Wouldn't be the master?

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2794992)
Providing there are no leaks anywhere the only answer, really, is that you still have air in the system.----:shrug:

There is, I believe, a correct order that has to be followed when bleeding them.--:}

clf 24th February 2020 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by lionatus (Post 2794990)
No one? To reiterate I have no brake pedal when engine off but have replaced brake lines and have bled all 4 calipers. Still no pressure on pedal?

As far as I understand, you won't have vacuum with the engine off. Pump the pedal 2 or 3 times and any residual vacuum pressure remaining will be used and pedal will become solid.

I may be wrong, but there should be a vacuum pump to produce vacuum, so if you have no pedal with the engine running, then I would start with that.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

COLVERT 24th February 2020 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by clf (Post 2795088)
As far as I understand, you won't have vacuum with the engine off. Pump the pedal 2 or 3 times and any residual vacuum pressure remaining will be used and pedal will become solid.

I may be wrong, but there should be a vacuum pump to produce vacuum, so if you have no pedal with the engine running, then I would start with that.

The thing is that the OP said the pedal went to the bottom.

Vacuum or not that shouldn't happen I reckon.--:shrug:

clf 24th February 2020 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2795115)
The thing is that the OP said the pedal went to the bottom.

Vacuum or not that shouldn't happen I reckon.--:shrug:

I saw that too, which confused me.with the second comment.

Alan_M 24th February 2020 15:57

Did the system almost fully drain? If so, might you have air trapped in the ABS unit? I’ve not bled my brakes yet on the Rover as I know it was done about 12 months ago, but on all my other modern cars I have had to use the diagnostic system to fully bleed the system including the ABS units.

lionatus 24th February 2020 19:35

Thats what I was thinking but Jules stated on another forum conversation that he's never had a problem but he reverse bleeds using a Sealy pump. Is it just a case of bleed bleed bleed and then bleed again? What about the blip on the pedal 2/3rd of the way down? its whats making 3 of us think the seal has flipped in the master due to braking when the reservoir might have been empty which I don't think it has due to no brake failure indicator on the IPK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan_M (Post 2795166)
Did the system almost fully drain? If so, might you have air trapped in the ABS unit? I’ve not bled my brakes yet on the Rover as I know it was done about 12 months ago, but on all my other modern cars I have had to use the diagnostic system to fully bleed the system including the ABS units.

lionatus 24th February 2020 19:37

Additionally if he still does it I can't get to a T4. MArinaBrain is 65 miles
away and even I'm not that brave with no brakes especially, due to insurance and, on the roads I'd need to travel between Hawick and Morpeth its a NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- rally course most of the way. CossieDunc would be safeer but further but that leaves me with the Edinburgh bypass and rush hour traffic at some point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan_M (Post 2795166)