The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   EGR operation and mot rules? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=293158)

gadget1960 20th February 2019 19:14

EGR operation and mot rules?

Hi peeps, just a couple of questions I need to be clear on with an mot on the horizon.
Firstly .... how exactly do I know if my EGR valve is working properly or indeed at all? as I have removed and super cleaned it, refitted it and tbh I can't really feel any difference in drivability or performance.
Also ... if I unplug it and run the car with it unplugged will there be any warning light on the dash? I have heard that running the car with the EGR unplugged smoothes out low rev pick up and hesitation!? is this correct?
And lastly ... if I were to fit an EGR bypass kit, is this definitely an mot fail or is it left to the testers discretion?
Any and all help on this subject would be a great help.
Thanks.

Lee T 20th February 2019 19:29

Egr

If it was stuck open then once warm you would notice, stuck closed you would never know. Unless it was extremely coked up before the cleaning, You will not notice much difference afterwards. The engine will simply breathe better and give a few more MPG. Unplugging will cause no problems or give rise to unwelcome lights IE e.m.l, just be sure to block the pipe air tight once removed from vacuum connection on EGR. A bypass kit then it will not be visible unless disassembled which the testers are not allowed to do. Mine has passed m.o.t 4 times with the bypass fitted. Lee.

gadget1960 20th February 2019 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee T (Post 2713247)
If it was stuck open then once warm you would notice, stuck closed you would never know. Unless it was extremely coked up before the cleaning, You will not notice much difference afterwards. The engine will simply breathe better and give a few more MPG. Unplugging will cause no problems or give rise to unwelcome lights IE e.m.l, just be sure to block the pipe air tight once removed from vacuum connection on EGR. A bypass kit then it will not be visible unless disassembled which the testers are not allowed to do. Mine has passed m.o.t 4 times with the bypass fitted. Lee.

Thanks for the info but ... surely if I fitted an EGR bypass kit it would be noticeable? as most of the kits I have seen seem to be very plain looking and very shiny and look nothing at all like a factory fitted EGR valve.
So ...sorry to sound a bit dim but are you saying fitting an EGR bypass kit is ok with the mot tester even though it looks nothing like the factory item?

marinabrian 20th February 2019 20:17

Is your car manual or automatic?

Brian :D

gadget1960 20th February 2019 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2713275)
Is your car manual or automatic?

Hi Brian, manual cdt (04).

mininuts 20th February 2019 20:55

Had an EGR bypass on mine for six years now and never had an issue with MOTs.
They aren’t visible when the engine cover is fitted ;)

gadget1960 20th February 2019 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by mininuts (Post 2713292)
Had an EGR bypass on mine for six years now and never had an issue with MOTs.
They aren’t visible when the engine cover is fitted ;)

Good point ! I didn't take the visibility issue into account. :duh:

marinabrian 20th February 2019 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget1960 (Post 2713286)
Hi Brian, manual cdt (04).

In that case the answer is simple ;)

Unplug the electrical connector from the EGR actuator solenoid, and that's it......EGR disabled, no need to do anything further ;)

Arctic 21st February 2019 09:48

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget1960 (Post 2713273)
Thanks for the info but ... surely if I fitted an EGR bypass kit it would be noticeable? as most of the kits I have seen seem to be very plain looking and very shiny and look nothing at all like a factory fitted EGR valve.
So ...sorry to sound a bit dim but are you saying fitting an EGR bypass kit is ok with the mot tester even though it looks nothing like the factory item?

Hi Darsie
You could always gut an original one ;) then no tester would know the difference, but as sated already the EGR is not really visible with the engine cover on.

gadget1960 21st February 2019 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2713319)
In that case the answer is simple ;)

Unplug the electrical connector from the EGR actuator solenoid, and that's it......EGR disabled, no need to do anything further ;)

Cheers Brian, good to know. one of the reasons for the mod was to 'clean up' the air flow through the egr and a delete kit seemed to answer that dilemma, but was wondering about the legalities of doing the mod mot wise.
Thanks for the tip though.