The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   TV Licence (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296492)

Rev Jules 10th June 2019 13:19

TV Licence

Just heard some of us pensioners will be paying the full Licence fee as of next year, something else to feed the thieving bar stewards for NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- programmes and repeats. :shrug::eek:

Rev

jackatesme 10th June 2019 14:11

There is going to be some dating sites.
"75 yr old man,looking for companion, must have GSOH and pension credits.":}

wraymond 10th June 2019 15:00

So where is the option to not have BBC progs? The money goes to the heavily biased and partisan company that fewer and fewer people watch.

It is no more than a hypothecated general tax which is subverted to an unelected state office over which the electorate have no control. It's Fascist I tell you, Facist!

MSS 10th June 2019 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2739654)

Just heard some of us pensioners will be paying the full Licence fee as of next year, something else to feed the thieving bar stewards for NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- programmes and repeats. :shrug::eek:

Rev

My heart bleeds for the V6 driving hard-up pensioner who needs a free TV licence. ;):D
where to live.

Let's pay our way old chaps. :}

Correction/addition - the original posting should have read....

My heart bleeds for the two car owning,V6 driving, hard-up pensioner who feels that he deserves a free TV licence. ;):D

There are large numbers of young people in the UK having to worry about how to feed themselves and where to live.

Darcydog 10th June 2019 17:04

Agree we should all pay our way. But the BBC has a choice - due to it having little choice overall as technology will, I am sure, overtakes the need for a TV Licence when some clever device allows us to access what we want to watch in a way that makes monitoring impossible.

The choice is pay per view or go commercial. A licence fee is archaic tho’ I fully appreciate just what an excellent service the BBC gives. But in all seriousness - why should I fund the BBC via a tax, when I find myself rarely watching what they broadcast? (Killing Eve - being an obvious and tremendous exception.)

I have long felt the BBC is biased and yet I am forced to fund an organisation whose News output has left me regularly gobsmacked.

I would personally prefer pay per view. That has worked well - and allows choice by the individual.

Dallas 10th June 2019 17:46

Hi Clive, its was nice chatting with you at the weekend and meeting your lovely wife, its always nice to catch up with folk and put the world to rights from time to time. ;)

I was only talking to my father yesterday about the TV licence fee, and we looked back to when Gordon Brown introduced the free licence for the over 75's back in the late 90's. Then along came the blue's and wanted to phase it out, seems that is what has happened, forcing the BBC to take responsibility for taking up the cost. :shrug:

Obviously there are some pensioners who are very well off and can afford the charge, but many will struggle which will leave them on poverty.

The BBC say they cant afford to fund the free licence... :shrug:

steve-45 10th June 2019 17:51

Wonder what will go next, bus passes or prescriptions?

Darcydog 10th June 2019 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2739707)
Hi Clive, its was nice chatting with you at the weekend and meeting your lovely wife, its always nice to catch up with folk and put the world to rights from time to time. ;)

I was only talking to my father yesterday about the TV licence fee, and we looked back to when Gordon Brown introduced the free licence for the over 75's back in the late 90's. Then along came the blue's and wanted to phase it out, seems that is what has happened, forcing the BBC to take responsibility for taking up the cost. :shrug:

Obviously there are some pensioners who are very well off and can afford the charge, but many will struggle which will leave them on poverty.

The BBC say they cant afford to fund the free licence... :shrug:

Yes it was great to get together again - good to talk to you whilst you are now pain free!

Hope what you got today fit well and are everything you want!

And yes - some will struggle to pay and that to me is wrong. You would think that as the 5th largest economy in the world we could afford to allow our very oldest to enjoy free TV - after all at that age, getting out and about becomes increasingly difficult - so the TV becomes a lifeline.

I do believe that the Licence is untenable long term

So why not make Freeview totally free for our elderly?

Failing that - I for one would be happy to use some of the money we currently donate regularly to go to a fund to pay for a licence for someone in need.

But it’s wrong

Dallas 10th June 2019 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcydog (Post 2739711)
Yes it was great to get together again - good to talk to you whilst you are now pain free!

Hope what you got today fit well and are everything you want!

And yes - some will struggle to pay and that to me is wrong. You would think that as the 5th largest economy in the world we could afford to allow our very oldest to enjoy free TV - after all at that age, getting out and about becomes increasingly difficult - so the TV becomes a lifeline.

I do believe that the Licence is untenable long term

So why not make Freeview totally free for our elderly?

Failing that - I for one would be happy to use some of the money we currently donate regularly to go to a fund to pay for a licence for someone in need.

But it’s wrong

Its about time they scrap the tv licence for all, its an outdated biased system that needs to be changed. I believe the licence fee can no longer be justified in this modern age of multichannel advertising that we have today. :shrug:

As for the pearly whites Clive, its going to take some getting used to a new appliance again, certainly makes me look a lot younger though. :D

Rev Jules 10th June 2019 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2739674)
My heart bleeds for the V6 driving hard-up pensioner who needs a free TV licence. ;):D
where to live.

Who would this hard up V6 driving pensioner be, :shrug:

Rev

topman 10th June 2019 19:37

I read that in a few years 25% of the BBC budget will go on paying for the free pensioner license. Whatever you think of the BBC's output, that's completely unsustainable.

edit it's 20% not 25%. Some interesting figures in this article.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48583487

jackatesme 10th June 2019 19:42

I may be wrong. My understanding of the T.V. licence is a charge for having a television receiver in your home. So whether you watch B.B.C. or not, you still have to pay it. So the simplest thing would be that B.B.C. becomes a pay to view channel. With this, B.B.C. viewing figures would go into Freefall. Then they would realise that they have had it too easy for too long. Perhaps that would make them change to a commercial channel. That would, may be, generate enough income to take on the likes of SKY with their exorbitant prices.

Dallas 10th June 2019 19:53

This new modern generation that use the likes of Amazon and Netflix, its only a matter of time until the BBC will be forced to shred its old skin. ;)

topman 10th June 2019 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2739743)
This new modern generation that use the likes of Amazon and Netflix, its only a matter of time until the BBC will be forced to shred its old skin. ;)

Very much so, how many people under 30 watch tv as it's broadcast? Very few i would think.

Number 6 10th June 2019 20:59

The simple answer is to Not Pay the fee. And when the goons come round and ask"Do you have a television" you do not answer that or any other question they ask. They have NO power of entry into your property and you are well within your rights to tell them to "Go Away" or words to that effect.

But the problem is the sheep will always abide and conform.:shrug:

Dorset Bob 10th June 2019 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2739763)
The simple answer is to Not Pay the fee. And when the goons come round and ask"Do you have a television" you do not answer that or any other question they ask. They have NO power of entry into your property and you are well within your rights to tell them to "Go Away" or words to that effect.

But the problem is the sheep will always abide and conform.:shrug:

That won't work!
Believe it not, it is actually a Criminal offence not to have a TV licence, so your best bet is to rob a bank to pay for it. :D

mbev51 11th June 2019 05:53

For some paying this fee is a bid issue, I'm afraid as we head towards being a US type of society, we will all have to get used to putting our hands in our pockets. Free bus passes and winter fuel payments will no doubt follow shortly. My hope is that free prescriptions will be maintained for as long as possible. The poor are definitely getting poorer, what a country, the rest of the world used to look up to us! Look at all the silly promises the PM candidates are making.

Darcydog 11th June 2019 05:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2739773)
That won't work!
Believe it not, it is actually a Criminal offence not to have a TV licence, so your best bet is to rob a bank to pay for it. :D

Only if you receive live broadcast or record live broadcast. If you have a TV in your house but only use it for DVD’s for example then no licence is required.

And as previously said above - as most younger guys today stream what they watch when they want to see it not when it is broadcast - the whole concept of the old TV licence becomes obsolete.

Number 6 11th June 2019 06:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 2739773)
That won't work!

How? it is an Act, Not a Law.

mbev51 11th June 2019 06:35

Some people don't have a television.

Dallas 11th June 2019 07:45

My parents have not owned a TV for the past 20 years, they made their choice not to watch television, which is obviously their right to do so. They don't even own a computer, and their mobile phones are old style basic big button phones designed for the elderly, non android, non IOS.

The amount of threatening letters they received over the years from the TV licensing bullies was horrendous, not forgetting the knocks at the door.

You could say my parents were being bullied into buying a TV licence, even though they did not legally need one. The letters soon stopped after my father threatened to take legal action against them, play them at their own game was the only way to deal with this old outdated corporation. :mad:

You don’t actually need a TV licence to own or possess a TV, but if you use a TV to watch or record programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online service, or you download or watch BBC programmes on demand, use BBC iPlayer etc, then you do need a TV licence.

MSS 11th June 2019 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2739816)
My parents have not owned a TV for the past 20 years, they made their choice not to watch television, which is obviously their right to do so. They don't even own a computer, and their mobile phones are old style basic big button phones designed for the elderly, non android, non IOS.

The amount of threatening letters they received over the years from the TV licensing bullies was horrendous, not forgetting the knocks at the door.

You could say my parents were being bullied into buying a TV licence, even though they did not legally need one. The letters soon stopped after my father threatened to take legal action against them, play them at their own game was the only way to deal with this old outdated corporation. :mad:

You don’t actually need a TV licence to own or possess a TV, but if you use a TV to watch or record programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online service, or you download or watch BBC programmes on demand, use BBC iPlayer etc, then you do need a TV licence.

My experience is very different. When my father passed away the property was empty for about 18 months. We had a reminder for the TV licence and then a letter threatening action if we operated a TV without a licence. The letter also included a return section which allowed us to inform the licencing people why we did not need a licence. After we sent this back, no further letters.

Seems like quite a reasonable approach to me.

jackatesme 11th June 2019 08:31

If the B.B.C. becomes a commercial channel or pay to view. The licence fee would be scrapped. Then some bright spark in Government will come up with the idea of an entertainment tax.:mad:

SCP440 11th June 2019 10:00

A customer of mine belongs to a religious group who do not allow TV's and Radios. He gets a knock on his door at least a couple of times a year asking to prove he does not have one. He had even had a demand to pay for it as they did not believe him.

Dallas 11th June 2019 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2739818)
My experience is very different. When my father passed away the property was empty for about 18 months. We had a reminder for the TV licence and then a letter threatening action if we operated a TV without a licence. The letter also included a return section which allowed us to inform the licencing people why we did not need a licence. After we sent this back, no further letters.

Seems like quite a reasonable approach to me.

Was the house eventually sold? I suppose a TV licence was eventually purchased. This would have allow the licensing team to remove that household from the check list of non payers.

As far as I know the TV licensing still carry out checks on a six/twelve month basis, even after informing them a licence is not needed. Once an address/household continues not to have a TV licence registered for a number of years, when it once did, letters checks frequently arrive on a yearly basis followed by visits.

In my parents case, you would think after informing the TV licensing that they no longer need a TV licence, especially after the second officer visit, that would be the end of it, but no... Frequent checks are still made against the household because no TV licence is held against the address.

MSS 11th June 2019 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2739851)
Was the house eventually sold? I suppose a TV licence was eventually purchased. This would have allow the licensing team to remove that household from the check list of non payers.

As far as I know the TV licensing still carry out checks on a six/twelve month basis, even after informing them a licence is not needed. Once an address/household continues not to have a TV licence registered for a number of years, when it once did, letters checks frequently arrive on a yearly basis followed by visits.

In my parents case, you would think after informing the TV licensing that they no longer need a TV licence, especially after the second officer visit, that would be the end of it, but no... Frequent checks are still made against the household because no TV licence is held against the address.

In my view a 12-month check is not unreasonable as in most cases the situation with regard to a TV licence is likely to change over a 6-12 month period.

Dallas 11th June 2019 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2739853)
In my view a 12-month check is not unreasonable as in most cases the situation with regard to a TV licence is likely to change over a 6-12 month period.

Not in the form of horrid threatening letters, that's my point. :shrug:

Number 6 11th June 2019 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2739854)

Exactly, They use Bully Boy tactics to force you into getting a Licence.

Nick Greg 11th June 2019 11:18

Hasn't the TV licence checking thingy been contracted out from the BBC to a target driven private company?

Number 6 11th June 2019 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Greg (Post 2739859)
Hasn't the TV licence checking thingy been contracted out from the BBC to a target driven private company?

I believe it is a company called CAPITA and there are many reports of aggressive tactics used bt them.

Gate Keeper 11th June 2019 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas (Post 2739854)

Hi Wes, remember Woof25? aka Mike RIP who passed away in December 2016. We lived in north London, he had the ground floor flat and I had the one upstairs. Everyone, utilities was informed of his death including the TV license authority with copies of his death certificate. I returned to Kenya in February 2017. I was back in the summer and found several notices on the door mat from the TV license authority asking about a TV license for Mikes flat. One of the letters said they had sent an investigation unit round and how there was no reply. There was also written threats of prosecution. I rang them up and I told them how distressed I was to see these threatening letters and there was no need for it. I was immediately put through to a bereavement team. They apologised and said they would put a note on Mike’s address to say he was deceased. However, they did say they would send out a TV license reminder in 6 months for the new occupant. I told them not to bother with that and to leave it for 12 months. That appeared to have got through and they left it for a year. So there you have it, a mix of poor comms and good comms.

wraymond 11th June 2019 12:38

It may seem heavy handed to threaten at first contact. The apparent lack of a licence is in some cases the rule of ignoring a request until prosecution by way of a 'letter of intent' of court action. So the company involved resorts to the blunt instrument technique. They never have to face the public including in court and are never subject to sanction. Guilt is the opening assumption and the onus is on the accused to prove their innocence.

suzublu 11th June 2019 13:09

How many pensioners license fees could be paid by Lineker's salary of £1.75m:shrug: Just for talking about football:duh::getmecoat:

MSS 11th June 2019 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2739885)
How many pensioners license fees could be paid by Lineker's salary of £1.75m:shrug: Just for talking about football:duh::getmecoat:

Do you watch him taking about football then Ronnie? :shrug:

Perhaps his job could be given to a hard-up multi-car owning OAP for a slightly lower salary - after all, round-the-world cruises and posh restaurants have to be paid for somehow!:D

Dorset Bob 11th June 2019 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2739801)
How? it is an Act, Not a Law.

I think there is talk of decriminalising the offence, but looking at this it still is, incredibly, a criminal offence. :confused:

suzublu 11th June 2019 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2739887)
Do you watch him taking about football then Ronnie? :shrug:

I don't watch gas telly Maninder & certainly not soccer:cool::D

HarryM1BYT 11th June 2019 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2739665)

:-) )))))))

MSS 11th June 2019 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackatesme (Post 2739665)

Don't forget the free park anywhere permit! :D

mbev51 12th June 2019 06:32

BoJo is promising tax cuts for the high earners whilst the over 75s are loosing free TV licenses.

MSS 12th June 2019 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbev51 (Post 2740012)
BoJo is promising tax cuts for the high earners whilst the over 75s are loosing free TV licenses.

This is not a political statement, but in my opinion he is actually being very smart by putting tax cuts for high earners and wealthy pensioners on the table. Both labour and the tories have a problem in that their respective voting bases are have moved to vote for the B and LD parties respectively. What Bojo is doing is offering a traditional olive branch to woo the traditional tory voters back to supporting the party. A smart move on his part as the resulting debt will be a problem for future generations rather than current politicians.

Darcydog 12th June 2019 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2740014)
This is not a political statement, but in my opinion he is actually being very smart by putting tax cuts for high earners and wealthy pensioners on the table. Both labour and the tories have a problem in that their respective voting bases are have moved to vote for the B and LD parties respectively. What Bojo is doing is offering a traditional olive branch to woo the traditional tory voters back to supporting the party. A smart move on his part as the resulting debt will be a problem for future generations rather than current politicians.

He is also being very smart because it is the traditional “middle earners” that have been hit hardest of late. Whilst the low paid have benefited from increased income tax personal allowances, middle earners have seen their income eaten into by effectively lowered higher rate tax thresholds.

And of course - this is exactly the demographic scared witless by JC and the likes of D Abbot and so would be receptive to something actually being given back to them rather than it consistently being taken from them.