The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Please Advise - Rover 75 Cdti 2003 subframe issue (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295978)

mbrenn 23rd May 2019 13:28

Please Advise - Rover 75 Cdti 2003 subframe issue

I am currently off sick and while I recover I got a local mechanic to collect my car with the intention of him fitting new replacement lower arms and brake kit that I bought through the forum. He tells me that the rear subframe needs replaced but while trying to remove the badly rusted nuts one rung off. To get at the bolts in the chassis ( enclosed section) he tells me that he would have to cut out and weld metal. He said it would take a week to sort and cost £700. Even if fixed he said the car could develop other issues . Is this the end of the road for my diesel Rover? Only 150k miles on it. I would be sad to see her go.

trikey 23rd May 2019 14:36

I would try somewhere else, even if you have to grind off the offending bolt, then remove the subframe to gain access to the broken one, it should be removable with some patience without cutting and welding.

clf 23rd May 2019 15:57

I wonder if it is the captive but that is the problem?

If he cuts off the head of the bolt, and any of the other 3 (if it is the sub frame bolts), the sub frame will drop down. Then they should twist out relatively easily with grips or weld a new nut to it. Because of their location, their threads should not corrode that badly into the body of the car.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Andy_with_a_screwdriver 23rd May 2019 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrenn (Post 2735527)
. Even if fixed he said the car could develop other issues . Is this the end of the road for my diesel Rover? Only 150k miles on it. I would be sad to see her go.

The million dollar question....
Who knows the answer???

But with a new rear end suspension and regular maintenance/servicing of the engine etc, it should go on longer than many other cars. Have a look at the moon club thread, plenty of diesels there;)

It's the usual quote when major work is needed "you can buy a new car for £700".
Yes that's true, but what condition is in? You may well have to start all over again with repairs and maintenance. :shrug:

mbrenn 23rd May 2019 19:25

Many thanks Guys for your feedback 👍

smudge.g 23rd May 2019 21:00

I managed to get a replacement subframe complete with all arms and antiroll bar, all in almost perfect condition and fitted myself (really not that bad) for just over £240. your quote of £700 is crazy money from a greedy garage.

Pueblo_Boy 24th May 2019 00:38

I have a spare rear sub-frame going cheap. No upper suspension arms (they're on my car!), but everything else including calipers. I bought it second-hand for 180 pounds; looks a bit rusty, but will probably clean up well.

You can have my sub-frame very cheaply, just need to also sort out pick-up and delivery. Would be a shame to lose your car for the want of fitting another sub-frame...though I'm guessing Northern Ireland is probably a tad more expensive to send something like this :(

wullie480 24th May 2019 06:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy (Post 2735664)
I'm guessing Northern Ireland is probably a tad more expensive to send something like this :(

If you use a courier then yes but if you use parcelforce it shouldn’t be.
Book through send it now and it’ll be under £15 iirc.

stocktake 24th May 2019 09:26

I stand to be corrected but reading between the lines he has spun the captive nut holding the inboard nut of the upper arm, nothing more.

This simply requires the removal of the subframe (or maybe not ;) if you are prepared to enlarge the hole just below this nut big enough to be able to get a grip on it;) )
Anyway, once the subframe is removed the nut is accessible to re-secure/replace.

It is not an overly difficult job for any competent mechanic.

Hopeso13 24th May 2019 10:18

I think your problem is that he has already started the job so taking it elsewhere is not feasible.

I would suggest you show him the above posts which explain a solution to his problem.

Most garages here in Northern Ireland are prepared to work with the owner when the mechanic comes across a problem. If the rest of the car is sound I would stick with it and make it fit for another 15 years or more.

Good luck with it.