The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Almost unreadable IPK display (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290957)

vitesse 12th December 2018 19:56

Almost unreadable IPK display

My lastest 75 message centre has more lines on it than King’s Cross Station. Sadly, Ricksta hasn’t any new screens anymore, but I hope I’m on his list if he does manage to get a few more.

Just want to check another option, if I find a IPK with a good message centre screen locally is it simply a matter of swapping the eeprom chip over from my IPK to the new IPK and all will be well with no mis-matches.

Is removing the dials any problem, or refitting?

I’d rather go this route instead of pairing up the old LSM and IPK but getting mismatches elsewhere, might keep Brian happier too.

Regards

marinabrian 12th December 2018 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2694045)
My lastest 75 message centre has more lines on it than King’s Cross Station. Sadly, Ricksta hasn’t any new screens anymore, but I hope I’m on his list if he does manage to get a few more.

Just want to check another option, if I find a IPK with a good message centre screen locally is it simply a matter of swapping the eeprom chip over from my IPK to the new IPK and all will be well with no mis-matches.

Is removing the dials any problem, or refitting?

I’d rather go this route instead of pairing up the old LSM and IPK but getting mismatches elsewhere, might keep Brian happier too.

Regards

Yes changing the 93S56 EEprom from the old to the "new" will work a treat ;)

Removing the dials is fairly straightforward, the pointers prise off carefully using a flat screwdriver, once the dial surrounds are removed, then the faces lift out.

Once this is done, disengage the tangs securing the lower 7 segment display, and the upper LCD screen can be gently unclipped from the white part, and carefully and gently moved out of the way so the PCB can be separated from the white housing.

The IC you need to change is an eight pin SOIC serial eeprom, and pin 1 is designated with a large round solder land.

Have fun

Brian :D

steve-45 12th December 2018 21:23

I thought Rick had recently found a supply of a few more.

vitesse 13th December 2018 07:39

Thanks for the replies. My first action was contacting Rick but sadly I was a bit slow and all the new screens have gone and he doesn’t know if he’ll get any more.

I’ve got a picture of the EEprom on my desktop and rather than attempting this myself I plan to go around to a local Apple repair shop and speak to them about replacing it. If they are unwilling I suppose I could always post the two IPKs to Rick.

Rick, if you’re reading this, do you have a good s/h unit you could do your magic on? You’ll need to transfer the dials too as it’s LHD. PM me if you’re able to help.
(Rover 75 2004 V6)

Regards

EdgarDonaldBalls 13th December 2018 15:29

Has anybody ever looked into making a replacement for the IPK screen?

I have been considering trying to build something using a modern LCD screen attached to raspberry Pi or similar to interpret the signals and add a few more features to the IPK.

It's probably way beyond my skill set but it seems like a fun project.

Les4048 13th December 2018 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2694149)
Thanks for the replies. My first action was contacting Rick but sadly I was a bit slow and all the new screens have gone and he doesn’t know if he’ll get any more.

I’ve got a picture of the EEprom on my desktop and rather than attempting this myself I plan to go around to a local Apple repair shop and speak to them about replacing it. If they are unwilling I suppose I could always post the two IPKs to Rick.

Rick, if you’re reading this, do you have a good s/h unit you could do your magic on? You’ll need to transfer the dials too as it’s LHD. PM me if you’re able to help.
(Rover 75 2004 V6)
Ha
Regards

To be honest I’d just post them to Rick, he’s amazing with the products he produces

Rick-sta 13th December 2018 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2694080)
I thought Rick had recently found a supply of a few more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitesse (Post 2694149)

(Rover 75 2004 V6)

Regards

The last batch of screens I managed to get hold of was over a month ago and they're all gone unfortunately. Currently unable to source any more.

Yes I have a few fairly good second hand highline instrument clusters on the shelf. All of the instrument clusters I have do have lines on the screens but I only use ones with up to 10 lines at most as these are most likely to repair well and last longer.

If you want you send me your old instrument cluster I can transfer the eeprom and the dials etc.

Rick-sta 13th December 2018 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les4048 (Post 2694262)
To be honest I’d just post them to Rick, he’s amazing with the products he produces

Thanks Les :) :icon_lol:

vitesse 13th December 2018 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2694263)
The last batch of screens I managed to get hold of was over a month ago and they're all gone unfortunately. Currently unable to source any more.

Yes I have a few fairly good second hand highline instrument clusters on the shelf. All of the instrument clusters I have do have lines on the screens but I only use ones with up to 10 lines at most as these are most likely to repair well and last longer.

If you want you send me your old instrument cluster I can transfer the eeprom and the dials etc.

Many thanks for the helpful news, PM will soon be in your box.

marinabrian 13th December 2018 18:16

2 Attachment(s)
Mmmmm :drool4:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1544728438

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1544728459

I've no KMH dials left, but I do have a nice enough message centre that can be modified if need be ;)

Brian :D