The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Stuck bonnet (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=327304)

gnu 11th March 2024 17:59

Stuck bonnet

My ZT bonnet failed to open earlier, despite the cable tie mod and regular lubes. Looking at the how to’s this seems to be provided by PM for security reasons. Could someone please send me the instructions, or a link to an open solution. No tearing hurry as I won’t have time to look at the repair until the weekend. Thanks.

suzublu 11th March 2024 18:07

Hatch behind o/s light in the wheel arch, remove, stick your hand up, you'll neet to cut your cable tie securing the box, pull off the box, grab the 2 cables and pull with grips. Of course, no use if the cables have snapped. I never said this right 😁

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

gnu 11th March 2024 19:07

Thanks. Sounds fiddly through that little hatch!

Dorchester2 11th March 2024 19:54

Don't be afraid! It happened twice on my 75 in the early months.
And I've got paws! First have a close look then introduce your hand and act from memory...
Now I'm lubricating every hook, lock and the like with graphite.
I cross all the fingers...

daveo138 11th March 2024 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnu (Post 2990925)
My ZT bonnet failed to open earlier, despite the cable tie mod and regular lubes. Looking at the how to’s this seems to be provided by PM for security reasons. Could someone please send me the instructions, or a link to an open solution. No tearing hurry as I won’t have time to look at the repair until the weekend. Thanks.

As you’re a subscribed user, the instructions are available in the ‘subscribed user’ forum. Fourth from the top.

gnu 12th March 2024 05:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveo138 (Post 2990938)
As you’re a subscribed user, the instructions are available in the ‘subscribed user’ forum. Fourth from the top.

Thanks, found guide. This thread can be delayed by mods if appropriate…

xsport 12th March 2024 12:23

Lets hope that the cables are intact. Rust and dirt at the slam panel latches usually lead to the cables at that end breaking. Fingers crossed ...;)

gnu 12th March 2024 18:35

Managed to get it open and it works ok now. Cables look in g.c. and it's all lubed up. The plastic splitter box isn't very robust, but refitted with ties replaced on input cable and securing it to the wing (is there an improved design?). Worryingly the bonnet lever pulls almost to the top before triggering the bonnet catch - is this usual? It was like that before, but I'm a bit more dubious about it now!

I can't see any adjustment (or easy way of creating some) so I may try a new cable idc and hope the inner cable is shorter relative to the sleeve length so triggers sooner.

Thanks for the advice.

SD1too 13th March 2024 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsport (Post 2990980)
Rust and dirt at the slam panel latches ...

As xsport says Mike, this is the most likely cause of the trouble, not the splitter box. The release mechanism particularly becomes compacted with a mixture of dirt granules, rainwater and the original grease. What I removed from mine resembled ground black olive paste.

For a long-lasting repair, remove the bonnet locking platform and take off the latch for cleaning using a solution of Gunk (or equivalent) and an old toothbrush. Rinse and allow to dry then re-lubricate sparingly. That's what I did years ago and it worked a treat! :D

Simon

MissMoppet 13th March 2024 07:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnu (Post 2990995)
Managed to get it open and it works ok now. Cables look in g.c. and it's all lubed up. The plastic splitter box isn't very robust, but refitted with ties replaced on input cable and securing it to the wing (is there an improved design?). Worryingly the bonnet lever pulls almost to the top before triggering the bonnet catch - is this usual? It was like that before, but I'm a bit more dubious about it now!

I can't see any adjustment (or easy way of creating some) so I may try a new cable idc and hope the inner cable is shorter relative to the sleeve length so triggers sooner.

Thanks for the advice.

Rimmers do still stock new splitter boxes.