The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New Key fob - how to remove blade from original (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299091)

john116 9th September 2019 08:47

New Key fob - how to remove blade from original

Hi - have searched on this forum, but have found so far no definitive way on how to remove the metal key blade from the fob plastic, to insert it into a new fob plastic case. Help appreciated!

I know I have to transfer the transponder as well, but can't work out how the blade comes off/out.

Thanks,
John

vitesse 9th September 2019 09:04

Brian's tea method works well - boil two cups of water, one for yourself and the other to immerse the bladed part of the keyfob in hot water. By the time you've finished your tea the plastic is now quite soft and the blade and holder can usually be pulled from the keyfob.

Otherwise cut with a hacksaw, or craft-knife the softer keyfob plastic around the blade holder which is harder plastic.

Don't bother trying to remove the transponder chip, just work on the upper part of the keyfob and retain the other half, as the back (which holds the transponder chip) is probably Valeo, then it's better quality than any new one.

Regards

john116 9th September 2019 09:43

So can you just put the transponder chip from the key near the steering column, and then not worry about having them in every key?

stevestrat 9th September 2019 09:55

Its the ring around the ignition lock that reads the transponder, don't know how close they need to be. I doubt if your insurance would be impressed if you fixed the transponder in the car rendering the immobiliser useless.

roverbarmy 9th September 2019 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by john116 (Post 2761007)
So can you just put the transponder chip from the key near the steering column, and then not worry about having them in every key?

He means to just use just the button part of the new key fob and keep the old Valeo one with the transponder in it. They usually fit together fine (old and new).;)

vitesse 9th September 2019 09:56

No, if the chip were located by the steering column then the car would be easy to steal.
I'm merely suggesting that instead of removing the chip and putting that in a new back section, keep the old rear section of your current keyfob and fit that to your new front.

Regards

john116 9th September 2019 10:41

Most of my cars don't have immobilisation. Just a key. They haven't been stolen yet. Re insurance, I don't have it insured, so that's no problem. Might do some tests as to how close it has to be.

vitesse 9th September 2019 10:45

You sure about no immobilisation, or are you talking about other cars than the Rover 75? Fitted as standard on the 75 so unless someone has been doing some magic inside your main ECU (EMU) it's there - why else would you be questioning how close to put the transponder chip? And why bother re-locating the transponder chip, it's current placement is ideal.

Regards

john116 9th September 2019 10:55

Yes, other cars. All my 50s and 70s cars. I'll probably leave the chip in the keys, just curious to see how close it needs to be. Although personally, I think the whole immobilisation thing is unnecessary.

vitesse 9th September 2019 11:11

I can answer that one for you - the range is 2 centimetres

Regards