The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dummy question: what is that big black plastic container? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309165)

Dorchester2 10th November 2020 16:25

Dummy question: what is that big black plastic container?

1 Attachment(s)
As I've to change the belts, pump & the like, my wise mechanic warned me that it may be a good move to change that big black plastic container and even the black sensor close by on the right.
Would it be necessary given that it's very hardly moist and I don't need topping any coolant, barely one only glass a year to keep it at the max?
The other mechanic told me that such a plastic in the low middle part of the V may break suddenly...

But in case I should order from Rimmer or DMGRS what are their names and Rover references?
Thanks a lot. :}

Dorchester2 10th November 2020 16:35

Could it be the thermostat kit that I can find at DMGRS

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/re-...ant=4078201669

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...g?v=1440324411

dattrike 10th November 2020 16:40

That is the replacement but there is a metal option that should last the life of the car. More expensive, I have one on my 2 ltr Cowley car and 2.5 ltr

edit: just looked and out of stock,may be worth asking when the next batch is due in.

SD1too 10th November 2020 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorchester2 (Post 2847368)
... my wise mechanic warned me that it may be a good move to change that big black plastic container and even the black sensor close by on the right.

Hello Arnaud,

The big black plastic container is the thermostat housing and as on a 1999 car it has not given you any trouble you'd be wiser than your mechanics to leave it alone. :D

The black sensor close by on the right is the temperature sender. You'll definitely be wasting your money replacing that. Mine's now 21 years old.

Simon

Dorchester2 10th November 2020 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2847384)
Hello Arnaud,

The big black plastic container is the thermostat housing and as on a 1999 car it has not given you any trouble you'd be wiser than your mechanics to leave it alone. :D

The black sensor close by on the right is the temperature sender. You'll definitely be wasting your money replacing that. Mine's now 21 years old.

Simon

Thank you Simon. I think I'll stick to your advice. But - I'm cautious - just in case I've ordered all the stuff from DMGRS to be put aside on the shelf. I think that because of that ghastly brexit, things may be more expensive and shipping delayed. Nobody knows... After all as one says, it's only money! :laughing2:
And to add some more water to your mill ;), the mechanic told me that the main belt was in very good order after 6 years and a half, but he added you never knows and any belt may crack even it looks fine from outside.
More cautious, meticulous & fussy than my mechanic, rather hard to find out! They don't want to take any risk for fear they might be seen as responsible of any damage... I understand that.

SD1too 11th November 2020 07:43

Hello Arnaud, thanks for your reply.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorchester2 (Post 2847402)
... the mechanic told me that the main belt was in very good order after 6 years and a half ...

Yes, it would be. Mine was in very good order after 19 years and 90,000 miles. :} I hope that your mechanic's vigilance extended to the tensioner and idler pulley bearings as these are the real threat to belt life.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorchester2 (Post 2847402)
... but he added you never know and any belt may crack even it looks fine from outside.

He's obviously of a nervous disposition. The problem with that philosophy is where do you stop? Ultimately you'll end up spending a lot of money unnecessarily. :o

Simon

Dorchester2 11th November 2020 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2847451)
Hello Arnaud, thanks for your reply.

Yes, it would be. Mine was in very good order after 19 years and 90,000 miles. :} I hope that your mechanic's vigilance extended to the tensioner and idler pulley bearings as these are the real threat to belt life.

He's obviously of a nervous disposition. The problem with that philosophy is where do you stop? Ultimately you'll end up spending a lot of money unnecessarily. :o

Simon

Indeed I asked for the whole kit to be swapped including tensioner & idler pulley I'd got in a bundle at DMGRS.
The reason why I decided to stick to the 6 years at the moment is that I don't know how my 75 was driven between 2014 and 2017 and whether she was garaged or not.
Next time I think I'll try to give the belts & the like a little more time, mainly because I've now got my 214 cabby hence the 75 is only used for long journeys and will not make more than 5k miles a year. :D