The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Diesel auto box broken down (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290220)

Ravinder 16th November 2018 17:38

Diesel auto box broken down

Hi

A friends diesel auto broke down a few days ago. She was driving along and lost power. The car won’t move at all. She took it to a garage and had been told that the auto box has failed. Is this likely the case? What else could it be?

Thanks.

klarzy 16th November 2018 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravinder (Post 2687156)
Hi

A friends diesel auto broke down a few days ago. She was driving along and lost power. The car won’t move at all. She took it to a garage and had been told that the auto box has failed. Is this likely the case? What else could it be?

Thanks.

If the intercooler hose cones adrift any where you wouls lose 90% of your power.

clf 16th November 2018 19:16

Quote:

Hi

Thanks.

Have read of this happening with a reverse piston failure, however, failing to reverse are symptoms initially, then as it gets worse, all drive is lost.

Some reading HERE

An interesting THREAD

and SOLENOID info

....... and should it turn out to be a reverse piston issue, there's a low mileage one for sale

It is not something I have experienced, personally, but have been watching out for issues with auto boxes, no doubt I will come across something over time lol.

SD1too 16th November 2018 19:37

Quote:

The car won’t move at all. She took it to a garage ...

How did she do that then? :shrug:
Quote:

... and had been told that the auto box has failed. Is this likely the case?
The garage obviously hasn't a clue. We need more information Ravinder. I'm no expert on diesels but if the engine power was reduced dramatically, providing insufficient torque for the gearbox to drive the wheels, having read posts from members with diesels I'd be checking for failure of one of the fuel pumps.

Simon

Jim Jamieson 16th November 2018 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by klarzy (Post 2687175)
If the intercooler hose cones adrift any where you wouls lose 90% of your power.

The car will still drive with the inter cooler hose adrift.
I blew mine off when I uplifted my caravan to tow it home.
After pulling onto the hard shoulder on the M77, I diagnosed the fault then drove the remaining 10 miles home.
Yes it was low in power, especially uphill and when I got home the front of the caravan was black with the exhaust smoke.
After refitting the intercooler hose and tightening it up proper I had no further problem.

BigRuss 16th November 2018 20:39

It's almost unheard of for an automatic gearbox to fail without any previous problems ;)

If it hasn't had any previously then I'd be checking first that the cables are moving the selector on the underside of the gearbox. If they've come adrift it won't select any gear.

If they're intact I'd be checking the fuse for the Autobox ECU which is in the underbonnet fusebox.

After that it would be a wiring check ;)

Wouldn't trust what the garage says.

Russ

MGStephen 16th November 2018 20:50

We’ve had 3 autobox’s fail on us.

Blew the piston out the side of one box.
Pump failed at 70mph and car stalled and box starved of fluid.
Reverse piston failed

Ravinder 16th November 2018 22:14

She’s not interested in the car. She has a another runabout and she has offered it to me, now....I don’t know what to do with it if I take it....:eek:
From what she describes, the car will not move at all in gear. It starts fine but won’t move when in drive or any other gear.

trikey 16th November 2018 22:19

Sounds like my old diesel tourer, that lost all drive when doing 40mph.

marinabrian 16th November 2018 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravinder (Post 2687268)
She’s not interested in the car. She has a another runabout and she has offered it to me, now....I don’t know what to do with it if I take it....:eek:
From what she describes, the car will not move at all in gear. It starts fine but won’t move when in drive or any other gear.

Take it if it's free, take off anything nice, then phone the scrapman to take it away.

Job done

Brian :cool: