The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A successful year for Spike and thanks to Kenton! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=203703)

Spike 21st December 2014 11:51

A successful year for Spike and thanks to Kenton!

As we're nearly at the end of the year, it's time to reflect on a great 2014 for Spike, my '03 CDTi Connie SE.

I started the year in desperation with an ABS fault that nobody locally seemed able to fix. I turned to this Forum and Marinabrian suggested Kenton, which started a year of visits to Borehamwood that has seen a somewhat tired white gold Mk1 saloon reborn!

The ABS problem was eventually solved (the connector block was waterlogged) and there followed so much other work mechanically, electrically and on the bodywork, including the obligatory 160 remap, rebuilt ECU, PCV, O-rings, panel realignment, a new door, BCU and locking sorted, replacement trim inside, logo headrests, boot leaks fixed, engine mounts and wheel bushes replaced and culminating in the shiniest set of refurbished hairpins in the business.

Spike celebrated his new life with a 2,500-mile road trip to the south of Spain and back in the summer.

Many thanks to Marinabrian, PhilT4 and Seancar, all of whom have helped with Spike along the way but most of all to the exceptionally patient and knowledgeable Kenton, who's become a trusted friend to both Spike and me!

Happy Christmas from me and my automotive life-partner, Spike!

http://i.imgur.com/VT1IP0xl.jpg

colintf 21st December 2014 11:53

Hairpins really suit your car :)

Spike 21st December 2014 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by colintf (Post 1871143)

Thanks, Colin. The bling's the thing!

Lovel 21st December 2014 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by colintf (Post 1871143)

Yep I like that too, never thought it would.

Spike 21st December 2014 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovel (Post 1871247)
Yep I like that too, never thought it would.

I was quite nervous about it, if I'm honest! As a fan of the Mk1 Rover above all variants, I'm naturally a bit of a traditionalist but I love hairpin wheels so took a punt. The fact that Kenton got them brilliantly refurbed in the original Rover 'Silver Sparkle' gives them a degree of authenticity! I'm going to get the whole suspension replaced next year, at which point I'll have it lowered by about 20mm so that the wheels sit more traditionally into the arches. It does look even better in real life and I've found another way to fall in love with this car!

alanjay 21st December 2014 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike (Post 1871141)
As we're nearly at the end of the year, it's time to reflect on a great 2014 for Spike, my '03 CDTi Connie SE.

I started the year in desperation with an ABS fault that nobody locally seemed able to fix. I turned to this Forum and Marinabrian suggested Kenton, which started a year of visits to Borehamwood that has seen a somewhat tired white gold Mk1 saloon reborn!

The ABS problem was eventually solved (the connector block was waterlogged) and there followed so much other work mechanically, electrically and on the bodywork, including the obligatory 160 remap, rebuilt ECU, PCV, O-rings, panel realignment, a new door, BCU and locking sorted, replacement trim inside, logo headrests, boot leaks fixed, engine mounts and wheel bushes replaced and culminating in the shiniest set of refurbished hairpins in the business.

Spike celebrated his new life with a 2,500-mile road trip to the south of Spain and back in the summer.

Many thanks to Marinabrian, PhilT4 and Seancar, all of whom have helped with Spike along the way but most of all to the exceptionally patient and knowledgeable Kenton, who's become a trusted friend to both Spike and me!

Happy Christmas from me and my automotive life-partner, Spike!

http://i.imgur.com/VT1IP0xl.jpg

Having read through your thread, I'd like to add that since joining the club I too have enjoyed the Services of PhilT4, Seancar and Kenton and endorse your praise for them and whilst at it would like to thank "Shiner" and Ed for invaluable free advice, thanks to all these guys an already very good car has become an excellent car.

michael peters 21st December 2014 19:23

Who he?

I recognise the first three names but who is Kenton? Is he another T4 whiz? if so, how far from Exeter is he based?. Excuse my ignorance but I am fairly new on here.

Spike 21st December 2014 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael peters (Post 1871496)
I recognise the first three names but who is Kenton? Is he another T4 whiz? if so, how far from Exeter is he based?. Excuse my ignorance but I am fairly new on here.

Hi Michael. Kenton is based in Borehamwood in Hertfordshire and he's indeed a T4 whiz. He's a long way from Exeter but I work in London during the week so, at the very least, I get a pay-off on car parking by leaving Spike with him during the week.

Down our neck of the woods, the stand-out service is from Lynn and the team at Exeter Road Garage in Newton Abbot. James

alanjay 21st December 2014 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael peters (Post 1871496)

No ignorance on your part, Kenton tends to hide his light, he's on this site as a trader and when my car was off the road because a power steering hose failed, Kenton came up with the goods, at a very price I add.

Spike 21st December 2014 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanjay (Post 1871588)
Kenton tends to hide his light, he's on this site as a trader.

Yes, he's a bit of a word-of-mouth hidden gem!